Banks: Brisbane touted to boom (~20%), other capitals to follow

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Nervous, 17th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

If history repeats Brisbane median will grow by 34%

Francesco likes this.
  2. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

A completely fair question to ask and no one knows. You make solid points and I agree with them, growth has largely been driven by credit flows, rates, and inflation. One thing that’s hard to quantify and usually doesn’t get taken into the argument is density, land can keep growing in value despite those 3 things being low there’s no doubt about that. The once Qtr acre block is now 6 townhouses, that may become 40 units in 30yrs time.

If lower rates told the story then Brisbane would have boomed all ready, it’s only part of the equation.

icic and TMNT like this.
  3. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

$400 to $600 k in BCC area seems to be selling quick.

My gut says good times will come.

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I like your gut. I bet it smells like roses.

5. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

I like it when agents are talking about shortages of stock and door knocking for listings. Might create some panic amongst the buyers. That inner suburb ripple moving to the outer Suburbs and hopefully eventually towards Logan.

6. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

7. Elysium

Elysium Active Member

I own 2 flats (1 BR) in Brisbane (toowong and south bank).

Rents have remained flat or declined slightly: from around 420 a week to 400 a week. Agents told me that it is not easy to find tenants, and it took them 1 month to find one for my unit (it used to rent out within 5 days).

8. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately 1B appartments one the city are the most negatively affected. No students. No travellers. Etc. Toowong and South Bank are very student oriented.

Houses though rent out quickly. Two places near me rented were vacant zero and 1 weeks. Brisbane North.
    my sister rented her place and signed a contracted before the current rent any moved out. No rent rise. Same rent.

Rich2011 likes this.
  9. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

Massive rental shortage in our suburb, The Gap. In a suburb where stock is dominated by houses, there are only 4 houses listed for rent at the moment of realestate.com. So glad I own, and don't have to compete for rentals here.

10. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

Same... I am seeing that houses renting like crazy in Brisbane. Our previous PPOR in Virginia rented before current tenant moved out in September. There was two day gap only. Tenant moved out Friday, new tenants moved in Monday.

11. Noobieboy

Brisbane, the quiet achiever! Brisbane accounted for most of the positive changes in the capital cities! And I think it is only a start!

The first takeaway is the heavy geographic skew. Price declines have been predominantly in Sydney and Melbourne – the latter accounting for about 60% of price declines over 6%. Other capital cities have seen much more evenly balanced performances with local areas accounting for well over half of all properties recording price gains. Regional performances have been stronger still – while there have been pockets of weakness, regional areas accounted for 80% of all ‘strong’ price gains through this period (viewed as anything over +6%).

Brisbane.png

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2020
  12. Noobieboy

A more detailed view. Can see that QLD far north is impacted. As expected, no tourism. Gold Coast and Sunshine cost seem to be hot. I would assume internal/interstate migration.

The distribution of price moves in Qld is fairly tight and symmetrical around 0-2% gains, for capital city areas, by region and by houses and units. Large falls have been confined to regional tourism centres while price gains have been a little firmer in the Gold and Sunshine Coasts – a little surprising given these tend to be ‘bellwether’ markets for investor activity and tourism related shocks.

Detailed view.png

Codie likes this.
  13. Noobieboy

Although housing values look set to surpass their pre-COVID highs early next year, both Sydney and Melbourne home values remain at levels similar to those seen in early 2017. While rising, Perth values are similar to mid-2006 levels, whilst Darwin values are in line with 2007 levels.
    At the other end of the spectrum, housing values moved to new record highs in Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart and Canberra through November.

14. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Just did a quick search on realestates.com.au for houses in Stafford and Michelton(locations of my portfolio) and more than half has under offer label on it, the rest are either just added, auction or offer over $xxxx. Same goes for Victoria park in WA, I think we are in for a wild ride of good fortune so buckle up.

Codie likes this.
  15. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

True for Brisbane, Adelaide, etc.. except Sydney and Mel. The history repeats. Remember this happened befr 2010 period. Same cycle.

16. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Same thing in Birkdale, which is not in the BCC
    Very hard to find a house under 500k now
    Lots of house and land packages on small subdivided or strata lots starting to be sold for 520-550

17. Noobieboy

What happened before 2010? I wasn't around. Please do tell!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia