Bankruptcy case in news

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by TMNT, 1st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I have to say, this is one of the most poorly written articles I've seen in a long time - and that's saying something. The author can't decide how to present the situation - sob story? Cautionary tale? Everything about it seems....strange. Even the photos....'This picture was taken on the day the bank foreclosed'....so what?!

Seriously, it's just very poorly written.

Rugrat likes this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Which pretty much sums up the majority of main strream journalism these days

Doesnt surprise me to be honest.
    Not that its my field but i would have assumed if you were hiring a journalist the first test youd put them through is a literacy and grammar test

3. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

How is it even possible to run a business in this country if you are illiterate? You can't even run a lemonade stand let alone a business. The partner can clearly read so illiteracy on his part is not an excuse even if true.
    I feel for the kids.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It would be extremely rare for an adult to be illiterate in Australia these days but i found out a friend of mine is only semi literate and he runs a business. He can read sms and short sentances but not more than a page at a time - must be a condition behind it i think. He has never read an entire book.

larrylarry likes this.
  5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I was power of attorney for a relative who passed away and handled all the payment of bills of the estate and funds to distribute to the beneficiaries. After Couple years I had some random Baycorp Mail chasing debt for something as it didn't state a name. Didn't respond and one day they rocked up with a sheriff and wanted to get inside my home. Looked at the warrant of seizure and was for the deceased. I said u got the wrong person mate and called the police. They left feeling stupid

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Were u executor?

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

A client of mine can't read and can't read my correspondence. He's in his late 30s.

8. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

I know a heap of people who can't read or write... Almost every day I send an email with say 3 questions and might get a reply only answer to one question. Stupid people! So annoying then have to follow up again.

9. Ran Gus

Ran Gus Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the headline used by the folks over at /r/auslaw:

Contenders for stupidest self-represented litigants of the year? Couple dig themselves into a mountain of debt which could have been avoided at every turn and enlist the help of a fellow bankrupt they met on the internet • /r/auslaw

- Better get advice from some random bankrupt guy on the internet, I know the web is my first point of call when dealing with complex legal issues! What could go wrong?

- What's that, our appeal got thrown out because it lacks merit? (among other things).
    Better continue appealing the decision and then complain it costs too much!

But best of all:
    Uhhh, that sounds an awful lot like them not being homeless if they're, you know, staying in a house...

Rubbish article, but hopefully it teaches a few people that if you ignore your problems, they'll come back to bite you on the ass (or take your house from you, I can't remember which it is).

Wall Street and Terry_w like this.
  10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Is there any penalty for oxygen theft?