Bankruptcy Advice

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Warby, 10th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Warby

Warby Active Member

For someone who has never dealt with a trustee...what does a good one look like?

Right about the website! I've emailed her/him? and nothing yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I don't really know about what trustees can legally advise on but you would expect they could advise on the bankruptcy act. There may be specific legislation that enables them to give legal advice on this area. Not sure

Warby likes this.
  3. Terry_w

I am on a email newsletter list for the insolvency experts and they seem pretty good. They also have a 24 hour hotline I think.

Warby likes this.
  4. Warby

Warby Active Member

Thanks Terryw! Do you have any thoughts on the new Insolvency Law Reform Act? Sounds like a hail mary but maybe i can dig deep long enough for the proposed change to 12 months

5. d_walsh

d_walsh Well-Known Member

The Insolvency Experts is a business name, run by a trustee called Steven Kugel. He offers the same service as all others.

I would highly recommend Brad Tonks from PKF. He’s in Sydney but your trustee doesn’t need to be in the same city. Brad is extremely good and efficient.

6. d_walsh

d_walsh Well-Known Member

Most reliable source is word of mouth from someone who has seen the way they work. It’s impossible to tell from their website.

7. Warby

Warby Active Member

Jeepers for something so costly(10K average) word of mouth seems like a fairly big throw of the dice.

No one seems to be discouraging the thought of filing it yourself. Especially in a relatively simple case. What does 10K even buy you in a trustee? Im assuming 3-5 years(8 if naughty) of management fees.

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Options. I had a mate who was sure he would have to file for bankrupcy after his business failed. He got in touch with a good bankruptcy lawyer, worked through his options and decided not to file. He did have to sell his house though.

Paul@PAS, Terry_w and Warby like this.
  9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Rugrat and Terry_w like this.
  10. Warby

Warby Active Member

Very case dependent but indeed very helpful in the case of your friend. Imagine filing only to find out later there was a much better 'option' ...ouch!

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Warby

Warby Active Member

Hi mate. For my case only...neither do i!
    However i can certainly see the value of a private trustee. They have to operate in the interests of creditors, although....and i could be wrong here...you get to specify who "hangs" you so to speak.

Whilst the trustee operates at arms length you can build somewhat of a rapport pre and post bankruptcy. In a 'better the devil you know' kind of way. That has potential value. Ive heard of some pretty heartless trustee stories.

Terry_w likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends how bad things are. If its catastrophic it wont matter if you take a court appointed trustee. That's an important part of what personal legal advice would address. The role of a trustee is not to punish. Its to fulfil the lawful requirements of discharging debts to the extent the laws require using the assets and income as stipulated by law. What cant be discharged is then not payable and the slate becomes clean. Reputational harm can follow

Legal advice will also address risks to the bankrupt such as what occurs if a death inheritance occurs during bankruptcy. They may suggest parents and spouses etc change their wills. They may also recommend other strategies to protect some assets.

Its like liquidation for a company. Engaging an administrator / liquidator may or may not be a benefit and in some cases the creditors will vote and appoint their nominated replacement. And whether you can pay one who is friendly. No money ? Forget it. That can be an important issue if a liquidator proposes to sell business assets, IP and other property.

Last edited: 15th Feb, 2019
  13. Terry_w

Another way to think of it, if you have $10k cash sitting around you are going to lose it anyway....

14. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

What if this $10K is in Bahamas under the Mums name :D:D:D?

15. Terry_w

then it is not his and not available to creditors - at first glance.

Noobieboy likes this.
  16. Warby

Warby Active Member

Yes as mentioned on the AFSA website however define "punish". A degree of leniency could fit the bill depending on which side of the scale you sit. I've since been told of two instances where one trustee had a very strict interpretation of the travel rules(hand in passport with a gestapo like interrogation) and another not so much(simple notify of travel with req details)

Trustees do have some discretion which can work for or against the bankruptee.
    Indeed. I don't have $100 to squirrel away atm but i'm pretty sure the powers that be would find it i did! My understanding is they the power scour all records including potential persons of interest(partner who has been gifted $$)

17. Warby

Warby Active Member

Giving money or other assets comes down to what i imagine is an applicable time period. 10K to mum 2 years ago? Maybe not but 6-12months? ....highly likely, again depending on the trustees or AFSA interpretation of that transaction.

Conviction of fraud would, i asumme, be dependent on what the allowable transfer period is. I swear i saw something about chasing a transfer that went approx 3 years back from the initial filing.

18. Terry_w

s37A Conveyancing Act nsw (and WA equivalent) can allow clawback of any transfer to defeat creditors
    also s 120 and s121 bankurptcy act has a 4-5 year period for related party transfers under market value or unlimited potentially if trying to defeat creditors

Noobieboy and Warby like this.
  19. Warby

Warby Active Member

It would be interesting to see what constitutes "trying". If a person suddenly falls ill and is made bankrupt due to increasing debt(e.g mortgage repayments) but made a transfer of 10k to a partner only months prior, would they be considered a fraudster?

20. Terry_w

That transfer would be clawed back.