Banker couldn't help me because her kids were being dropped off to the branch.

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by wylie, 30th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cbrgirl

Cbrgirl Well-Known Member

Awful service and she sounds very unprofessional.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Once I find a helpful person at the bank I get his/her business card. Then I simply email and make an appointment for any future needs. With a competent person I am rarely there for more than 15 minutes even for several matters. Works well till that person leaves the branch and the process has to start over.
    Marg

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree Marg. And that is what is the problem. The helpful people keep getting moved on. I've kept hold of the mobile number for someone and will call that person Tuesday. I will not be going back to this particular branch for this new account.

This lady's business card is in the bin.

4. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Everything is KPI driven these days and hence the customer service get affected.
    Usually savings accounts are not included in their KPIs so they dont like to waste time on something that wont benefit them...
    They would love to talk about insurance, credit card, personal loan etc.

JameZ likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yet another example of private enterpise at work!

But the shareholders are happy, and that's what counts...

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It's beyond me how they expect to meet kpi's with no customer service. Perfect selling opportunity for other products while setting up a saving account. Some people are just crap at their job unfortunately.

7. Drgonzo

Drgonzo Well-Known Member

Or you could have just opened an e saver online in around five minutes?

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I have done the same in the past but unfortunately the good ones don't seem to stay around. They get promoted

9. wylie

You mean with another bank? I want to be able to transfer immediately from this account to other accounts... (and that doesn't excuse the lack of service anyway).

10. Drgonzo

Drgonzo Well-Known Member

No with Westpac. I am surprised the bank was even open at 435 on a Friday afternoon.

11. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I'm currently having fairly poor service with my bank. I have a house under contract that was subject to finance with unconditional approval due by the 29th of April. On the 28th of April the lending manager sent me an email requesting a rental statement apologising for not asking for it sooner. She also said that the application was just waiting to be signed off. I tried calling her on the 29th and 30th and sent her an email but she hasn't replied to the email or answered/returned any of my calls. I was talking to a lawyer and he said that was fairly common with banks in terms of them missing their deadlines.

The other frustration I have with banks is their opening hours. They make billion dollar profits but they have opening hours as though it's still the 1950's except they aren't even open 9-5 (most of them are 9:30-4) and you'll be lucky if they open 9-12 on a Saturday.

Edit- Not everything can be done online!

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

if the druie bank branches offer better customer service than this, then ..yep...we have a problem:)

13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

That's 5 star service compared to what you get in Mt Druitt.

JDP1 likes this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Not a good enough service

and why did she need to tell you this? Might as well say "I don't want to serve you right now" :-/

Adele and wylie like this.
  15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

My biggest biff is when the staff start using the information to ask intrusive questions such as where did you buy your properties and etc when all I want is a bank cheque or a replacement card.

16. wylie

LOL I just went to the complaints page for this bank and thought I'd scroll down and add my little complaint. I got sick of scrolling and gave up. That is a LOOOOOOONG page of complaints. :eek::D

Erida, Adele and EN710 like this.
  17. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Its so easy to bank bash but did you consider that maybe the person you were dealing with had to leave in 20 minutes and had 10 others things to do before she left and she couldn't risk being late to pick up her kids? Maybe she was just crap and hated her job.I dunno just saying its easy to be critical when you dehumanize the experience.

Taking away incentives and KPI's would,d go along way to fixing the culture in branches IMO but can't see that happening any time soon.

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Both :p
    That's pretty poor service, not something I would stood for.

But unfortunately, the training in the branch is done in such a manner that staff are not taught to think and a reprimanded when they do.

Having started in a branch and worked in there through various roles over the years, there are some customer service people who are quite smart, but there are also some pretty dumb ones and can only follow sequence (and freak out at the slightest change).

In your case it would seem that they don't think they can open an account without spending 30 mins to "get to know you" so they try and flog stuff to you (there was a whole checkbox style sheet that they had go through to open an account - the actual account opening process was less than 5 mins).

Though part me things you weren't "assertive" enough (ie be an a-hole) and demand they open the account and cut the BS. :p

I had my bank call me last week asking me how they could help me. First thing I blurted out was - "lower my interest rate". That's my default response to bank employees :)

19. wylie

She said her kids were being dropped off to the branch. There were two tellers standing looking at me. Nobody else in the branch. Surely one of those three people could have opened an account in 25 minutes?

And the branch was closing in 25 minutes. The staff have to balance and lock up, and don't walk out the door at 5pm.

20. wylie

My son said last night there is no way he would have walked out without kicking up a fuss. To be honest, I was sort of dumbfounded, didn't want to make a fuss (not my style) and one of the tellers I knew slightly from when she'd helped me at another branch, so I didn't want to look like a hysterical madwoman.

But, with hindsight, I should have insisted. But if this woman stood her ground, I could't really have done much more except rant.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia