Bank valuation was BS

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 12th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Recently had my poor valued by the Bank so i could use for equity .
    I had Real Estate agents all say over 500 to 525k
    Next door to me sold for 508k

The Bank Valuer comes out and didnt tell me the value but the Bank rang me to say its not worth over 500k?
    I was a little disapointed they said about the 450k mark which i was shocked at because i know someone would pay over 500k for it.

Im wondering if i got a second valuation from a different bank ??

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

What LVR are you looking at?

If it's below 80% then valuer shop - get another upfront valuation ordered with another bank.

A $50k discrepancy between valuer and REA isn't uncommon though.

Cheers

Jamie

3. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Yep, this is common. Banks will almost always value lower than RE agent. I recently had an agent come out to my property and they valued it at $390,000 - $410,000. Went valuer shopping and got one at $370,000 and two at $380,000.

This isn't unexpected though. RE agents tell you what they think they can sell the property for tomorrow while valuers rely on data collected yesterday to inform their decision. Plus, they are inherently more conservative in their estimations.

4. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Last year we had our PPOR valued at 1.5 mil and just over 6 months later another valuation came in at 1.2 which was disappointing because the area is going gangbusters at the moment. Doesnt matter at teh moment but it p***ed me off!

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if you dont have a fixed rate loan or havent paid LM you may be able to love to another lender that uses another valuer.

ta
    rolf

6. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Which lender did you go through? I have seen values come in different amounts for the same property with three different lenders.

Maybe best to request your broker to organise another valuation with another lender.

7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've had three different valuations all use the same valuer, with the same ****** result.

Grrrr!

JDP1 likes this.
  8. mja

mja Well-Known Member

I've never had a valuation I liked. Ever.

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I had one valuation, 2br unit in West Ryde, 550k. :)
    But that lender wouldn't lend to me, with the reasoning, i'm already at my limit with them....grrrr. (why couldn't they have checked my borrowing capacity first???)

I then got another valuation with another (more generous) lender and it came back 470k. Doh!!!

Johann_ and RetireRich101 like this.
  10. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Do you often have this reaction from agents?

JDP1 and Joshwaaaa like this.
  11. Dazedmw

Dazedmw Well-Known Member

How long ago was that? These days with all the banks having the same Standing Instructions for residential valuations in theory it should be easy to have a valuation (the first one in this case) assigned to a new bank if its less than three months old.

12. Rolf Latham

Best of luck with that theory

Usually only works in reverse when for eg STG picks upa sad val from VMS commissioned by WBC

Most lenders want their own order in my experience

They may all have the same/similar standing orders but variations of 10 to 15 are not uncommon, with our office record being 28 %

ta
    rolf

13. poeter

poeter Active Member

For the more generous lenders, do they tend have lower valuation than the less generous lenders?

14. Rolf Latham

Valuation tends to be indepenent of lender and is more due to differencet valuers having diff views

ta

rolf

15. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Can you convince the more generous lender to use the other valuation @550k?
    I previously had this experience:
    CBA was my current lender, valuation came back as say 520k
    NAB new lender, valuation came back as 480k
    NAB was ok to use the valuation done by CBA.
    I proceed refinance from CBA to NAB

Gockie likes this.
  16. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

So is it ok for us to have multiple IP valued by multiple different vendor ?

17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

If you're using a broker - they could order a couple of upfront valuations with different lenders. Sometimes the valuations are assigned to two different valuation firms - which often results in different values :)

Cheers

Jamie

Tekoz likes this.
  18. Dazedmw

That's the thing, their own order doesn't mean anything these days. Bank A sends an order to Valex who forward it to the Valuer with the industry wide Standing Instructions, Bank B sends an order to Valex who forward to the Valuer with the same Standing Instructions.

As you say, the theory and practise might still be different, that will probably change over time as people don't like paying val fees they don't have to.

That's not from variations in the instructions but generally variations in interpretation of sales.

19. Dazedmw

That's the thing, their own order doesn't mean anything these days. Bank A sends an order to Valex who forward it to the Valuer with the industry wide Standing Instructions, Bank B sends an order to Valex who forward to the Valuer with the same Standing Instructions.

As you say, the theory and practise might still be different, that will probably change over time as people don't like paying val fees they do

That's not from variations in the instructions but generally variations in interpretation of sales.

20. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    So find out the valuer you liked.. then have your broker go to firstmac, where you can choose the valuer ( if your broker is a premium broker) Problem solved. This is one of FM's best niche's - choice of preferred valuer

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.