Bank valuation coming back way lower than accepted offer

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Gwynneth, 22nd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gwynneth

Gwynneth Well-Known Member

Hello, would like to know what do you do in such scenarios when bank valuation comes back lower? This is a bit weird because previous property which we did not proceed with came back with higher valuation and now the other property we have an accepted offer has a lower valuation.

Should we check out with other banks?

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hope you did an upfront val without a full application

Could...
    - challenge the valuation
    - negotiate the price down
    - do up front and / or desktop val with another lender

3. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    There are several banks that offer upfront valuations, you can 'valuation shop' with the help of a broker who is accredited with multiple lenders.

If the valuation came in 'way lower' than the offer price my first point of call would be to read the valuation report. Has the valuer gone to the right house? (it does happen with kerbside valuations). What has the valuer said in the report that justifies a significantly lower price, and is it reasonable? If it's not, ask them to have the valuation reviewed and provide recent sales to back up your opinion.

Kaykay79 likes this.
  4. Gwynneth

Gwynneth Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies! There will be another valuation happening tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Madina

Colin Rice and Terry_w like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I have always been used to ignoring OTP, the valuation will be at the contract price unless there are unsual circumstnaces , eg family transfer, and if hte banks value it lower either youve severelly overpaid or they did a desktop or driveby

or its an area that is so elastic market

6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hey OP, this seems to be the norm. There is also another thread I have about my val experiences. By any chance are you using liberty too?

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

First thing I do is let the client know and see if they actually want to proceed.

If they do - then I order two more upfront valuations with different lenders - if the purchase is within a city then there's a good chance the job will land with a different valuer.

If that doesn't work- contesting the valuation is also an option. But realistically - if a few vals all come back short - a contest is unlikely to do the trick.

Cheers

Jamie

Sackie likes this.
  8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

If you settle and obtain another valuation you may well find your purchase price is the new market (you have set the new market price!) :)

Colin Rice likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Earlier this year our townhouse was valued 20% lower than the 2 appraisals I had done. Turns out he wrote it down as 2 bedrooms rather than three.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Did they correct the appraisals?

11. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    Just last week I had a valuer note a house down a 'semi-detached' when it was fully detached. They are in such a rush to get everything done that mistakes do happen.

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2016
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Or by sending a newbie to do a professional job

13. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Thats the correct move right there ^^^^^

I think they should be called valuers opinion rather than valuers report.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Actually I don't recall, everything was a blur that week. My broker sent me copies of the vals a few weeks after all the dust settled. He did phone back later that first day and said "it's fixed", meaning we qualified overall for the refinance. It was only recently that I noticed the discrepancy.

My PPOR also came in under the appraisals by about $40K (my modest guess) and $60K from CBA's desktop val appraisal that a local agent gave me.

In front of me now it shows:
    High bushfire risk (4). There are 600 brick and tile houses between here and the forest. About 80% of those houses have a swimming pool. Each property will be surrounded by paving and concrete rather than grass or bush land.

I notice the recent market sales he compared it to were approx. six months older than the date of the inspection.

He suggests replacement insurance amount $105K MORE than what he valued the improvements to the land.

He gave it a medium market risk (3) due to recent market movement and market volatility. Besides the election uncertainty around Capital Gains and NG and increased investment into Brisbane at the start of 2016, he suggested the unit oversupply in the CBD would impact my value. He previously noted we are 16.25 klm from the CBD.

Rolls eyes.

15. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Sounds like he was fresh from Uni. I find the older more experienced valuers are the go as they have seen a few cycles and have a greater understanding of whats at stake for the end user being the landlord.

16. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yep, he was rather young.

18. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I didn't read the article but from reading first and last paragraphs I am guessing it is about providing CMAs to the valuer.

I have tried this before and also provided REA price and PM rental price and the valuer didn't even glance at it and declined to take it with them.

My sample size is one but it would likely come down to the individual valuer themselves and if they want this but I would say they wouldn't as not to be influenced.

19. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

@Big Will valuers have access to the equivalent of a CMA, but with significantly more information that is more up to date than the one you've got.

Big Will likes this.
  20. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

If it helps, you can possibility ask your broker to do a Residex or something similar to give you an idea. In saying that the data may be 90 to 180 days old and may not be reflective of the current market value, but at least you know if something is coming under by $100k, there is a concern.