Bank valuation challenge

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Dylan33, 26th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

I have 3 valuations from 3 seperate real estates all very good numbers compared to the bank valuation. Is it possible to challenge the bank valuation by presenting them with the RE vals?
    I understand there has to be a difference between them for bank policy reasons, but was wondering if it's possible to raise the banks valuation by presenting them with the RE's vals?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Those real estate agent estimates are worthless - just take 10 ro 20% off the value and you may get a realistic figure.

If you want to challenge a valuation you will need to provide the valuer with evidence of 3 or more comparable sales. SALES, not houses on the market.

3. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Just get your broker to do another couple of bank vals and use the comparable sales in them for your challenge. Or change banks.

Observer and Terry_w like this.
  4. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry. Very difficult to get comparables though! It's a kinda unique property for the area.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Hence your problem.

If you are finding it difficult to find evidence of value then so are the bank valuers. In that case of course they will be ultra conservative.
    Marg

wylie, Colin Rice, Gypsyblood and 3 others like this.
  6. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Valuers don't like unique properties. It makes them nervous as they have a hard time finding anything to compare it to. Usually they take extra care and give more than usual conservative valuations.

7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Very much so

Phantom likes this.
  8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Usually your better of trying another valuer/lender - if thats possible to your scenario.

Trying to get valuers to change their opinion isn't really likely to lead to much success. They could simply want to apply conservatism. Its not unusual to see 10-15% variances in full valuation results for the same property, particularly for higher end values (750k+ range).

9. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

and it's better to get the terminology correct. real estate agents provide an appraisal not a valuation

RM1827, Terry_w and Gypsyblood like this.
  10. klabat

klabat Well-Known Member

real estate agents - 2 days to be qualified
    property valuer - degree qualified and few years to be accredited.

Terry_w likes this.
  11. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Real estate agents are also trying to get you excited about the property appreciation to get you to sell. My IP that only settled in July last year, a well known REA in the area today valued it at 470k. I bought it for approx 335k.

12. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

RE value a place I bought over a million, I bought for 150K less

13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Valuations seem particularly bizarre in Canberra for some reason

14. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

REA will appeal to emotion and greed and initially inflate the price to "get the listing". I have often wondered if an honest approach using data and common sense would win over people from a higher guesstimate from others. Truth is (except in a hot market) the price conditioning tactic will be applied 2 weeks after listing to where it should have been in the first place, but you run the risk of the property going stale very quickly.

No comparables = a nervous valuer = ultra conservatism.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

On top of all the comments above, I'd also say that in my experience, valuers don't take kindly to being asked to amend their valuations. It is seen (in my experience) as questioning their knowledge and expertise.

Terry_w likes this.
  16. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I have had vals ammended in the past but not many. Stats are less than 1% are ammended.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I sent a valuer some comparables that I knew about, including the one right next door, sold within the prior three months, same block size, different style of house but sold for very close to expected valuation on the one we held.

He completely ignored it and used different ones. I believe he was just thumbing his nose at my "meddling".

Terry_w likes this.
  18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The lender can even turn around and then drop the LVR even if you do somehow get the valuer to raise the valuation.

So it is not just the valuer who may get nervous over something "unique"

19. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Not just the valuer and banks - but also mortgage insurers who some of which have specific policy stating that if there is a change in valuation figure, the lower figure is to be used.

This is where I'm not a fan of 'unique' properties from an investment perspective - you want a common cookie cutter property which values around median and lots of comparables - it takes away valuation risk where your valuation can be 10%+ off what you might expected.

Colin Rice likes this.