Bank frustrations

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Dan Donoghue, 10th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

These lending criteria are now completely out of control.

My application to fix a portion of my mortgage has been declined and forms need to be done again because:

My Signature apparently doesn't match my License one well enough (I litterally sign something once every two years when I move my mortgage so excuse me if it changes slightly)

I didn't fill out an application directing where the funds should come from....... the funds that CURRENTLY come from the offset for the EXISTING mortgage that I am just trying to fix a portion of.

This is not a new loan app, this is just to fix a portion of the loan they just gave me.

I do not understand why they are making things so difficult on such stupid things now. Sure check out my last 98 billion years of expenditure I don't care but seriously this is beyond formality.

luckyone, kierank, wylie and 3 others like this.
  2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

The banks are painful atm. :oops:

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Which Lender?
    Assuming you're doing this direct to bank
    You'll need to split the loan to fix a portion of it.

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Literally no common sense anymore.

Services by $1.5M/year? Sure - but I still need to know what the $23 debit on the 3rd March was, and evidence it's not ongoing before I can approve... :confused:

Dealing with banks has gotten quite unfun.

luckyone likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I've had AMP request clients do a stat dec to say they are the same person as the one who signed the loan app - multiple times.

Last week I had CBA want to issue new loan docs because one of the applicants signatures looked different on all 3 places that they signed. I checked and they were very different. Client said he was unable to produce a consistent signature anymore because never used a pen. luckily it was resolved with a few phone calls.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My signature got shorter as I worked in a bank and signed things so often that it just evolved into a bit of a squiggle. I still get concerned that the signature I used on documents from long ago are quite different. The "initial surname" has turned into "initial squiggle" and nobody could read the actual surname any more. It does worry me that one day I'll be pulled up if anyone wants to check back to old documents (wills etc).

7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

NAB. Apparently with some of them you can do it yourself through online banking but not with NAB, it's a new set of docs.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  8. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

I had a bank contact me about my signature. They wanted me to change it as they could not decipher my name from the signature. But that’s how I sign things, I said. Had the same signature for 40 years!

kierank and wylie like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How ridiculous. How many people have signatures that you can actually decipher what the surname is?

Harry30 likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

They were incredibly painful and frustrating 12 months ago ... hate to think what they're like now. I have never, in my life, signed so much paperwork for a simple loan

11. tess_

tess_ Well-Known Member

Our main bank (big 4) that we had banked with for 7 years, and have 2 loans with, had the wrong DOB for my spouse on file - refused to open/activate a transaction account until he went into a branch with his ID... no idea what happened there!

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Last week I had an assessor call me because the living expenses seemed low. I told her that all the client wanted to do was split an existing loan and fix part of it.

She said the living expenses need to be verified for compliance and responsible lending purposes.

I told her that's BS, there's no change to existing lending. Responsible lending doesn't apply. I did mange to win in the end.

luckyone, lettert and kierank like this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Every doctor in the world :p.

Dan Donoghue and Terry_w like this.
  14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

one of the many reasons why NAB is very low on our volumes these days

Need Another bank

BTW this aint new..... been like that for 20 years

ta

rolf

15. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Quite rare, but I was at a CBA branch the other day. They asked me whether I wanted a $2k Overdraft on one of my accounts. I had one of these facilities in place for about 15 years but recently cancelled it to improve servicing.

Yes I said (if anything, just to be polite). Then they said that would be a full servicing check (salary slips, rental statements, loan statements, the full works).

I told them that was 150 pages of documentation given my circumstances. That was the rules they said.

Yep, the full rubber glove treatment (Think of your annual prostate test), all for $2k.

Told them to forget it and walked out.

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I hope you got something to treat the mange ;-)

Propertunity likes this.
  17. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I did, but my spelwing is an ongoing problem.

Propertunity and kierank like this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My wife has an ongoing problem with the banks.

In Spanish speaking countries, they use a double surname, with a main surname (from your father) and a minor surname. Using that convention in Australia leads to a lot of misunderstandings, so she uses just the single surname here. Her Mexican passport has two surnames, her Australian passport just one. This is something which took her quite a while to settle on.

But it still causes problems from time to time, in banks and other places.

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

There was one student a few years ago with a single letter surname. I thought he was kidding but it was true!
    E (surname) - Wikipedia

He said he had hell trying to open a bank account because the bank's system would not accept a single letter as a surname :eek:

The Y-man

20. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Any change with NAB is typically harder than most, I suspect because the loan needs to be split they required all this stuff, it was already split then less hassle, maybe.

Dan Donoghue likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.