ASX Shares Bank dividend reset dents big four optimism

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by oracle, 27th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Looks like the Big 4 banks dividends are coming under some pressure. In particular, WBC.

From memory NAB had already cut its dividends last time around from 99c to 83c. Fully expect NAB to cut again from 99c to 83c.

Does this put LICs under pressure to maintain their dividends when they report in Feb-March next year. Will be interesting to see.

Full article (behind paywall)
    Bank dividend reset dents big four optimism

Cheers,
    Oracle.

scoobie27, sharon, MarkW and 6 others like this.
  2. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

The Royal Commission opened Pandora's box on the banks. The key quote from the X-Files sums it up (for those that remember). There will be a financial impact but how much can be smoothed over in the eyes of shareholders remains to be seen.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't think long term it will make any difference..

DoggaPP and Silverson like this.
  4. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

You might be right but if you look at NAB over the last 20 odd years the story is pretty grim.

176F6E64-61F7-43CC-A913-0AD64D58D853.jpeg

CSL has jumped to number 2 just behind CBA as the most valuable company on ASX.

Cheers
    Oracle

sharon, Burgs and trinity168 like this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Apart from that the income.

NAB dividend:

in 1997/98 was $0.94 excluding franking
    in 2018/19 was $1.98 excluding franking and flat for 5 years.

CSL dividend:

in 1997/98 $0.16 excluding franking
    in 2018/19 $2.48 unfranked.

r3ckless, sharon, Burgs and 2 others like this.
  6. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Does that include 1 for 3 share split for CSL in 2007?

Cheers
    Oracle

7. SatayKing

According to my records:

13/4/2007: $0.49 Unfranked
    12/10/2007: $0.55 - $50% franked @30%

14/4/2008: $0.23 unfranked

So I will assume so. I'm missing some of the older documents which probably went the way all documents generally go when I moved.

8. SatayKing

I omitted (forgot?) to mention originally CSL declared the dividend in AU$ but at some stage - and I don't know when that occurred - moved to declaring it in US$. I don't know:

(a) the amounts declared in US$; and
    (b) the relevant exchange rate.

9. willair

Yes if you were just holding NAB then it has not performed well and at the price would be best to just let the dpr work it's magic ,that's when combined with the ''RC'' and the different managerial techniques some with long standing proven success in the prior realm in the 6--8 banks within Australia,under the new system success can easily wreak havoc within the other in the list..imho..

Attached Files:

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2019
  10. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

For those that still like their dividends for income stream, there are so many ETF's out there just doing the hard work for them without the need to stress over individual bank ownership e.g.

SYI (looks at 5 years historical for dividends and mostly banks)
    VHY (looks at probable future dividends and a large chunk of banks)
    RARI (despite its name and purpose is actually dividend focused and bank heavy)
    SWTZ (focuses on dividend growth and is bank rich)

Why fuss over the minute details of owning big bank shares individually when you can get a decent dividend return from any of these ETF's without the hassle and overthinking of individual bank ownership? After all, the only reason you would hold individual bank holdings is for the divvies presumably (?) certainly not for significant growth.

Just a thought.

Ynot and number 5 like this.
  11. willair

When you look at the age group that walk into the Banks AGM'S most would not be that worried about the price of the shares per unit,only the dividend payment 2 times a year and I have never talked to anyone that invested in EFT'S ect but most would be above 55 and carry that independent stand--alone spirit and lived through the 1900's--2000's ,and know the squandering and who were allowed to get away with it that happened in that period..

DoggaPP likes this.
  12. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

The assumption is that WBC in particular will cut. There may well be a boost to the share price at the announcement, next week some time, should they do so, because it puts the dividend on a more sustainable footing. Happened for ANZ. Or there may not be. Swings / roundabouts.

I have a large amount in direct bank shares and they're sitting at about par, so I'm tempted to sell them all and divert to LICs / ETFs and stop worrying.

Anne11, SatayKing, mdk and 1 other person like this.
  13. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Bears pointing out that ANZ today were forced to cut the franking component of the dividend to 70%. Given that only 55% of their earnings came from Australia this year, it was inevitable that they could not continue paying fully franked dividends for much longer.

Yeah dividend focussed ETF's can be pretty ordinary in terms of overall returns.

Refer to the little file attached for the returns of VHY vs VAS since January 2005 (using an initial investment of $100,000). With VAS you end end up with $151k, with VHY a little under $130k.

Over time in future not only will the returns for VAS continue to compound higher, but the absolute value of the dividends will end up being higher too.

Attached Files:

scoobie27, Anne11, DoggaPP and 2 others like this.
  14. SatayKing

Not having a dig at you but have a wry smile with the attitude which I can understand. Contrast your dilemma - and common one I believe - with the same wish to stop worrying as per a similar one and then the action taken for the superannuation mentioned in another thread.

number 5 and DoggaPP like this.
  15. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

2671BEB0-6DFC-4116-8C4E-3C100FE395D0.jpeg

AED44082-6CBA-42D9-9FE5-6CCEDA5FA5FC.jpeg

Cheers
    Oracle

DoggaPP, Anne11 and willair like this.
  16. willair

DoggaPP likes this.
  17. lamecrocs

lamecrocs Well-Known Member

18. SatayKing

19. lamecrocs

lamecrocs Well-Known Member

But how is WBC going to verify this? Or does it mean the Sophisticated investors need to send in the certification to WBC to qualify?

20. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

2.5M net assets or 250K annual income for 2 years certified by a registered accountant to qualify. You register with your Broker, nothing to do with the company or its registry.

Actually getting hold of placements is all about relationship with your broker. If a placement is oversubscribed you can bet your broker didn’t get the entitlement they wanted and will divvy what the did get to their best customer. (institutions, UHNW etc)

Unless you have a very good relationship with your (typically full-service broker) and are being offered (and take) regular placements – what you do occasionally get offered, you probably don’t want.

You might strike it lucky sometimes as a run of the mill sophisticated with a retail broker like Commsec if they themselves get an allocation. A sophisticated registered with Westpac Online Investing would probably have the best shot at getting some of the scraps on this raising.

Ynot, symposia, Froxy and 2 others like this.