Bamboo Vs Hardwood Timber Flooring

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tenex, 25th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I am keen to hear opinion from people that have used either or both before.

Obviously hardwood timber is more expensive ranging anywhere from around $80 per SQM up to and over $180 per SQM depending on the specie.

Bamboo is cheaper and can look more luxurious but scratching (hence it is harder or impossible to repair by the sand and re-polish approach) and swelling and at times the noise can make it a less attractive option.

Has anyone got experience in using them? Any thoughts on what looks better and is used more often these days?

I was thinking darker more rich colors of both.

2. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

There are different types of bamboo. Strand woven is the hard stuff and is much harder to scratch. I had some Verdura put in 3months ago at about $70/m including installation. There were some glue residue on the boards left by the installers. I literally keyed the surface to remove it and did not scratch.

Most of the bamboo floorboards have this click system. Even if they do get damaged, you can quite easily swap them out (at least that's what I was told!)

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Have used Bamboo in several commercial redecorations over the past few years and not had a problem

4. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

For those that have used bamboo, does it swell when exposed to water / humidity?

If it is on the first floor, does it make much noise when people walk on it? (as compared to timber)

5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

We had bamboo flooring (and outdoor decking) in our last PPoR.

Looked good.

Flooring was floating due to slab on bottom level.

Not any better than hardwood, but was a smidge cheaper, and is apparently a renewable resource, so you can get the warm and fuzzy feeling of saving the planet, I guess.

The decking was bloody ordinary and would not recommend it...maintenance was no better than merbeau or other; still had to sand and stain it every year.

The decking did not swell or change shape etc due to the moisture/humidity (we had it around our pool, spa and most of the decking was exposed to sun wind and rain).

So, from that point of view it was ok.

But; we had merbeau on the step raisers for the back stairs and the outside staircase from upper level down to the pool deck - and it performed the same.
    IMG_0505.JPG IMG_1330.JPG

Last edited: 26th Jan, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

it really comes down to is it floating floor (it can be timber, laminate or bamboo) or is it glued to the slab or nailed flooring which is not floating floorboards. Hardwood will swell just the same and noise factor is due to the swelling of the boards not the type of boards or an uneven surface. This can remediated using a thicker undelay 5mm and above. in this respect - you are better off with floating as it is easy to replace. I prefer floating boards as one section can be replaced for e.g. a leak occured and only 10sqm was affected. Sand and repolish is a big job and requires all furniture moved out, and then proper cleaning of the entire house when it is completed.

7. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

You will find that regardless of the type of floorboard it's not good to have prolonged exposure to water. Wipe off ASAP.

If you live in an apartment check your by-laws and make sure everything is OK on that front before proceeding. Doesn't matter if you're on the first level. Generally, you will be asked to install acoustic underlay which is around $2-5 a square metre. Beats having to deal with complaints later.

Tenex likes this.
  8. Ian Macleod

Ian Macleod Active Member

We used a floating laminate or so called engineered floor when we did our renovation a few years back. The product is a ply board with a laminate over the top.

20160127_111941.jpg

It has been down for about 5 years now, and I have to say it has been excellent. Super strong and we have dropped heavy pots and things on it and it rarely marks.

20160127_110612.jpg

I drove past the people we bought this from just last week and they are still in the same Gold Coast location, so they must be doing something right.

9. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

that picture looks good. Judging by the different colors that would be hardwood timber?

I personally prefer hardwood, especially if you can get a nice french oak but they are expensive. I wonder if hardwood / timber can only be nailed down or if it can be floating as well.

10. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

What do they normally use as underlay and does it also mask out the cloaky noise that timber / bamboo makes?

can you do floating boards even with timber / oak / other hard wood? if it is not nailed down, Will it not move against each other and thereby creating a cheap / noisy finish?

11. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I personally dont mind laminate, it feels like tile to me but people these days can pick it up almost instantly and the impression most people carry is that laminate is cheap. Especially when you are building a brand new place that you are trying to sell. Otherwise it is a good product and I would imagine durable...

12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Floating floorboards is a type of flooring - it can be laminate, bamboo or timber or oak. You can use glued down flooring as well but it is more expensive labour wise or built a false floor which is nailed depending on the house type, slab or on stumps. Either way if water leaks occur the floors do get squeaky anyway. Normally the builder would prep the floor to ensure it is level by grinding the slab for bumps or levelling up the surfaces. Squeaky or noisy floors occur due to uneven surfaces. Normal underlay is 2-3mm. 5mm is mainly for acoustic purposes from moving furniture and is mainly used in apartments which helps with uneven surfaces sometimes.

you have a gap btw the end of the wall for expansion or and then ppl cover it up with beading or skirting. floating floors are clipped on to each other and you won't be able to see the join. laminate is fine as well. i've done more than 20 installs of floating floorboards and a few nailed and glue on timber boards. it's too expensive to do unless you are in a high end suburb dun see the point as a 90sqm could cost you 10-15K more.

upload_2016-1-28_23-31-18.png

upload_2016-1-28_23-36-50.png

upload_2016-1-28_23-43-55.png

Sackie likes this.