Ballpark for cosmetic renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Alex AB, 5th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Hi all - I want to compare some properties if I need to do some cosmetic renovation. Would the following cost seems in the right ball park? This is for full outsource price as it is interstate and I dont have the skills either.

1. Bathroom renovation (old bathroom like 1980s) - change vanity, taps, toilet, flooring, etc to make it more rentable / modern: 15k
    2. Carpet - 3k per room
    4. Painting, internal - 2k per room
    5. New dishwasher - 2k, including installation
    6. Aircon - 2.5k per aircon if needed
    7. Kitchen - No idea???

Am I in the right ballpark estimation or I am way off, if so, what is more realistic estimation for each of the above? Wont have a chance to ask for actual quote in this market but want to get a ballpark level in case I make an offer for a property that needs some of these done soon (or in couple years down the road).

Thanks a lot.

unemaladieincurable likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Which state? It does vary from state to state.

But I would say $5k paint a whole small house (3 x 2) to $7k to paint a 4 x 2. More again if it's 2 storey etc.
    Your carpet price is too high unless it's a high end property - I'd give $1k per room
    Bathroom would be about right. You could probably do the kitchen for around the same depending on what appliances you want to put in.

craigc and LP7 like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Bathroom sounds expy - We did retile, new bunnings shower, new vanity but retain old tub for about $5k~ish a few year back.

Kitchen - again about $7k for new cabinets and new tile splashbacks.

The Y-man

p.s. I thought for a moment it was a quote for cosmetic surgery...

4. Mezza

Mezza Active Member

Just finished this exercise for my place in Sutherland shire which is a 3 x 2 two story place

internal and external painting including staining wood trims - $10k
    Carpet - 1 room - $980 installed
    Wooden floor sanded and finished -$1.8k
    New dishwasher- $550 delivered and installed

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Carpet should be cheaper. Maybe $1100 approx a room including underlay and removal.

Kitchen, assuming average Ikea spec for full gut and reno including all appliances, stone top, trades etx...probably 15 to 20k depending on size and inclusions.

6. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Very helpful.

It helps me to budget in some of these renovation costs when needed as I go through different possible properties to buy. Hope it helps some others too.

7. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Really depends what size your kitchen is and the finish you want. Cheapest I have done is $7k, including appliances and trades. But I had to manage the whole thing myself.

8. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

As a very general rule should limit cosmetic renovation budget to 10% of current property value. Also depends what price range it is with internal fittings.
    Your dishwasher cost seems a bit excessive IMHO.