VIC Ballarat Tip: The Capital of Western Victoria

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ko Ko Naing, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ken Navington

Ken Navington Member

Ive heard Joseph st has some commission housing (although its a big road). For an IP potentially okay.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I keep reading the title to this thread and thinking the rubbish tip at Ballarat is the Capital of Western Victoria.... :eek::D

The Y-man

Matt L, Hamish84, Toon and 2 others like this.
  3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Thus my earlier request to the mods to change the thread title: Ballarat Tip: The Capital of Western Victoria [VIC]

Toon, Truly Exotic and The Y-man like this.
  4. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Child care boom a sign of Ballarat's rapid growth

'Ballarat is in the grips of a child care boom with millions of dollars being invested in new centres to cater for the massive influx of young families moving to the city...

Committee for Ballarat chief executive Michael Poulton said the boom in child care centres was another signpost of the city's rapid growth.

"Demand for regional living, demand for land in Ballarat continues to just go ballistic and with that has to come infrastructure, things like child care and schools are critical," he said.

While government figures put Ballarat's estimated growth rate at roughly two per cent, Mr Poulton argued the true increase was probably double that, at closer to four per cent, if not higher.

"Talking to some of the guys in the real estate and development space they are talking three to four per cent growth and saying even that is still conservative."

"We are not seeing any slowing of that growth."...

...Mr Poulton said figures showed the growth was largely made up of professional couples with young families looking to move for greater space, greater access to open spaces, and less congestion.

"That continues to be a really strong element of the market, that demographic of young families moving to regional Australia. There's that desire to still be close to Melbourne ... but to have a lifestyle with space and lack of congestion in a city large enough to have a good health care system and good jobs."'​

Ken Navington, Ko Ko Naing and Matyd like this.
  5. Ken Navington

Ken Navington Member

You can count my family as one of these statistics. Just had 2 girls start their first day at daycare today :)

Hayes and Toon like this.
  6. PropNewbie73

PropNewbie73 Active Member

I see a lot of families moving to Ballarat to receive an elite education at a fraction….at Ballarat Grammar etc.

I reckon Ballarat is very promising in that aspect…..

JacM likes this.
  7. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Housing records smashed in Ballarat. What is your suburb worth?

"BALLARAT'S median housing price has skyrocketed nearly 20 per cent in just one year as property costs surge to record levels.

That is the takeaway from the December 2021 Real Estate institute of Victoria statistics which shows every Ballarat suburb has now reached a median milestone of over $400,000.

Ballarat's median house price is now $522,000, up 19.4 per cent from the same time last year.

And according to one of Australia's leading population experts, it's the millennial market which is driving the increase.

Despite the surging prices, Ballarat still remains remarkably affordable compared to the rest of the state with regional Victoria now with a median of $601,000..."

Matyd, Ko Ko Naing and PropNewbie73 like this.
  8. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Before COVID hits, you can't get anything decent in Sebas for under $300k. 2 years fast forward, decent ones are at mid-400k now.

I don't own any in Sebas, but I personally think it's got amenities, good infrastructure and it's gentrifying.

Mateus, Patel, Matyd and 1 other person like this.
  9. VICPER

VICPER Well-Known Member

@Ko Ko Naing out of interest, what sort of tenants living in your investment properties? i.e working professional? students? ......

10. Ko Ko Naing

Retailer, receptionist, council staff, plumber... Used to have a teacher, a geologist before... :)

VICPER likes this.
  11. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

12. Matyd

Matyd Well-Known Member

All happening in Ballarat :)

13. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

14. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

I'd like to hear people’s thoughts on this too

15. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Isn`t it just a matter of numbers? Development net revenue - Development cost = 20% of dev cost minimum?

MrBubbleHead likes this.
  16. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Ballarat defies lockdown pain to continue strong population growth

"The latest regional population numbers show Ballarat has avoided the drastic changes and accompanying pressures experienced by metropolitan areas over the pandemic year.

The data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Tuesday showed Ballarat remained among the strongest regional Victorian cities in terms of growth with a steady population increase of 1.7 per cent for the 2020-2021 period.

Of comparable LGAs, Bendigo saw an increase of 1.2 per cent, Geelong 1.8 per cent and Warrnambool had a slight increase of 0.2 percent, whereas Shepparton and Mildura decreased 0.4 per cent and 1.2 per cent respectively.

While the LGA of Melbourne dropped 7.5 per cent, outer-metropolitan Melton jumped 3.9 per cent...

The data shows an estimated 113,183 people now live in the Ballarat LGA...The council predicts Ballarat's population will reach 185,000 by 2040."

17. Ko Ko Naing

Ongoing population growth, promising economy and record-low unemployment rate are the things that stop me think about selling my Ballarat IPs during this boom time.

sqe, Cousinit and Matyd like this.
  18. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Yes, why sell anyway? Let time be your friend.

19. Reddy

Reddy Well-Known Member

Anyone doing 2 lot sub divisions in Ballarat ? Has the council taking lot of time are they quick to respond to the sub division applications ?

20. Mateus

Mateus New Member

First time investor here too. Did you end up buying IP in these areas? Happy? Any insights you can share? Cheers!

Peter Adshead likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia