VIC Ballarat Tip: The Capital of Western Victoria

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ko Ko Naing, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

The Golden point place is well-presented.

2. silverstar

silverstar Member

No renovation mate. Got 3 kids and just need to move in. My budget is 700k. I am sure i can find something nice in Ballarat in a good area for this money. I also wouldn’t mind apartment on lake wendouree but its near imposibble to get one. They are off the market. I know that Newington is better area but 700k for a two bed is way too much in my opinion.

3. silverstar

silverstar Member

Yes, unfortunately I can not attend as my daughter is sick. But yes, this place is good.

4. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

This reminds me a few years ago I went to check out a property on Skipton St 4000sqm ( with 80m frontage) with a house with a crumbling roof, asking $230k, I didn't buy as the house was too far gone....
    Full of regrets now

5. Calder&Scale

Calder&Scale Well-Known Member

Is there anything worth buying for <$400k or have I missed the boat? I swear prices seem to be up more than 10% over pre covid.

Would ideally like as much land as I can get which will probably mean a brick 3 bed 1 bath.

6. silverstar

silverstar Member

Tough call. I was looking to buy this house year ago, it was sold for 385k https://www.realestate.com.au/property/4-little-dodds-st-golden-point-vic-3350
    Spewing I haven’t bought it.

7. silverstar

silverstar Member

8. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

The street has two names - Ballarat Council calls the little section Skipton St, which forms a part of the Midland Highway (A300) which circles the state. It’s the main road from Geelong, to Ballarat, on to Daylesford, Castlemaine, Bendigo and beyond. It’s the main trunk route that runs north-south through Ballarat.

Toon likes this.
  9. MikeyBallarat

That’s an amazing part of Ballarat and I honestly prefer it to the lake.

10. silverstar

silverstar Member

Thanks mate for your comment, it really helps me to understand more about Ballarat. I missed this one, the buyer just signed contract :( Its gone for 740k unconditional.

11. MikeyBallarat

A fair price for a great house in a top location.

12. silverstar

silverstar Member

I agree. I was prepared to pay 740-750k for it. Shame I have missed it. I will keep looking, sinething will hopefully cime up. Thanks for your comments mate!

13. RENI99

RENI99 Well-Known Member

Do you want to be close to train service for Melbourne?

One of the things to look at is distance and traffic in Ballarat. Some areas are very built up and very busy - slow - around school pick up and tradie knock off time. People rarely use public transport so lots of cars on the road. Being able to walk the kids to school might be a good idea. I would avoid South West areas due to traffic. If I traveled to Melbourne daily I would want to be within 10 minutes of the train line - either Wendouree station or city station.. These are factors I would consider. Otherwise must suburbs have good and bad areas. I expect to there could be more properties hitting the market now the Covid rental rules have gone and investors looking to take advantage. Also winter in Ballarat will likely be less attractive to buyers.

14. silverstar

silverstar Member

Hi mate, train is not important as I work from home anyway. Neither myself or wife will travel to Melbourne regarding work. I actually find Ballarat much better then Melbourne regarding traffic. Melbourne is just too crowded. Yes, it would be perfect for kids to walk to school. I had in mind Ballarat Clarendon College that’s why I looked 1A Ajax in Newingtin but they are asking 700k for a shoe box literally. Not my cup of tea. I would rather fork out 50 to 80k and buy ‘proper’ home in central Ballarat. Thanks for your comment mate. I am daily checking real estate, something will come up. Cheers!

sqe and Toon like this.
  15. MikeyBallarat

You can live in the worst area of Ballarat and still send your kid to Clarendon. That’s what is so good about Ballarat - you could pay $1.5 million to send your kid to the 50th best school in the state if you lived in Glen Waverley, or you could buy a basic cheap house for a quarter of that in Ballarat and send your kid to the third best school in the state.

Everywhere in Ballarat is close enough to Clarendon so that a morning commute there is reasonable.

And Ballarat does not have traffic.

sqe and Toon like this.
  16. silverstar

silverstar Member

Agree 100%. My wife can’t stop praising Clarendon that’s why I know its top school :) I just want to find some nice place centraly located, you know those nice period homes with character :) I know I will pay for it but hopefully not too much. Thanks for comments mate!

17. RENI99

RENI99 Well-Known Member

I can recommend Ballarat & Clarendon. Went there myself 30 years ago and have family there now. Have just spent 3 weeks in Ballarat (after growing up there) and 5 days in Melbourne after living there for 30. Yes you can’t compare the Melbourne morning commute to Ballarat traffic but what used to take 10 mins in Ballarat can now take 30 at the wrong time. And you don’t have the public transport options you have in Melbourne. I don’t think you can go wrong in Central Ballarat - I would be looking for something on a decent sized block and I would avoid the new estates out West.

18. silverstar

silverstar Member

Thanks mate for your comment. Alfredton was one of the options but now its completely out of window. I am really focusing on Central Ballarat and I prefer it more then Lake Wendouree side. I really like that part between Sturt and Eyre St.

19. VICPER

VICPER Well-Known Member

20. silverstar

silverstar Member

Thanks mate! We were really keen on Alfredton at the start but as we are looking more into it I really want to buy something central. 400-500m2 block, nicely presented 3-4 bed for around 740-750k. Just like that house we missed on Raglan Street :(