VIC ballarat prospects?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jomi, 8th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

2. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Private sales to auctions is a very good sign for the area,

maybe it is time for good old ballarat

Toon likes this.
  4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I agree... all indications are positive for Ballarat at the moment. Only time will tell how long it can be sustained & how much it flows into property price growth.

The Delacombe Town Centre is well into development now with a projected opening date of 30 Aug. That will be a significant completion as it adds not only another suburban centre but a 2nd cinema which reflects Ballarat's current & future projected growth.

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2017
    Toon likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

the thing is, ballarat has been in the dumps for like 5-6 years, cyclewise, its about time , and it should be more then just a temporary hitch

bazza1234, Toon and Indifference like this.
  6. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

This piece of news today might help spur some growth along:

City to embark on ambitious plan

Seems both private and public investment into a multitude of projects in the CBD and surrounds in Ballarat is to go ahead soon.

Those who are invested in Ballarat, I suggest you participate in shaping the progress yourselves! You can do this by contributing positive and consenting comments to the community plan:

"The plan will be available to view from Monday April 3rd and the community will have until 9am on May 1 to comment."

I'll be doing so myself, and the more positive comments and encouragement for job-creation and support of the proposed projects, the more likelihood that these projects will go ahead. Every comment/vote counts! "Be the Ballarat you want to see" by adding commentary to its growth!

bazza1234, Toon and Indifference like this.
  7. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

8. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Indeed it's growing significantly, although third behind Geelong, with a few Geelong regions in that list as well.

But it makes sense, regional living is eminently more practical than buying on an urban fringe of Melbourne when you're a long way by car, perhaps not even near a train station yet, and have little in the way of regular infrastructure. Just try walking to a milk bar in Wyndham Vale, Tarneit or Point Cook!

In a regional city, if you work locally you're no more than maybe 15 minutes from work, close to amenities which aside from perhaps the premium capital city attractions you have plenty of choice, hospitals in the main regional centres like Ballarat, Geelong and Bendigo....and you're not in traffic! That MUST make a difference...do i work in a capital city and earn a little more possibly, but concede that and more with greater transport costs, more time on the road or stuck in cramped Melbourne public transport, congested streets etc, or step back and live more time at home?

I work in Geelong, and am just 5 minutes from work. Five minutes....my transit time per week is under an hour both ways. If you're in a 90-minute commute each way..that's 15 hours a week. What pay rate does one need to earn before the latter becomes a more viable choice?

9. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/www.c...4/15180890/china-new-city-real-estate-xiongan

The Chinese Govt took a bold move to create a new city in a farmland, 150km from Beijing to alleviate congestion there. This is how determined the Chinese are in getting things done!

There's no need for our Govt to do this (it cannot afford to anyway). We have regional towns, not too far from present capital cities that are already well built and developed that serve us just well. Just forcibly move some Important Govt departments to Ballarat, Bendigo or Shepparton (I would not consider Geelong as it could be part of Melbourne in future) and thousands of employees will follow suit. This will spiral some of the services and industries plus motivate relatives of those linked to these departments to relocate too, leading to even more people decentralising while boosting the economies of these Regionals. Let's face it, decades of talk by ministers for decentralising have yielded little results. Migrants and locals are still congregating to the capital cities like no end, while many small country towns are at the same time, declining. It is going to be disastrous!

The Big regionals are essentially already self contined cities with almost everything one will expect in melbourne or sydney. With good planning, they have the capacity to double or triple their population pretty easily, without the Big problems seen in the big cities. What we need are JOBS and OPPORTUNITIES to make people move to the Regionals. And for this to occur, we need the Govt to lead the way. Property prices in Ballarat and Bendigo are just half or less than half of Melbourne's or Sydney's and on bigger blocks at the same time. There is no need for the $20,000 First Home Owners subsidy or the Free stamp duty thing, this is nothing really. The present huge price disparity in property itself is enough to attract thousands of people to move over to the Regionals if they can earn a good living there.

Promoting growth in Regional and at the same time, reducing the pressure on the Capital cities - it is a win for both!

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2017
  10. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Apparently '...demand for Ballarat’s top tier properties is outstripping supply...
    The report said the city’s burgeoning growth was driven by demand from Melbourne, with demand for central properties in the $700,000 bracket exceeded supply.'

Ballarat’s hottest property | Photos

I'm just waiting for the ripple to start lifting the $500-600K range...

Danyool likes this.
  11. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. The article seems to focus more on high-end properties or those around the Lake. Hopefully, the ripple will go out to other central suburbs like Ballarat Central, North, East, Soldier Hill or even Redan.

Beelzebub, Danyool and Toon like this.
  12. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

This, combined with the upcoming additional regional FHB incentives, should have plenty of positive flow-on effects for the Ballarat market over the next few years.

Premier announces which departments are coming to Ballarat

"Western Victoria MP Jaala Pulford said the jobs would transform the Ballarat CBD to a remarkable degree.

“This will create a huge level of investment activity Ballarat has not seen since the gold rush,” she said.

“We know an investment of this scale will have that impact.

“I spent time providing a detailed briefing to Ballarat business and community leaders and they are very excited about it.

“I defy anybody to say this city is not changing dramatically.” "​

Ko Ko Naing and Xiao Hui like this.
  13. Xiao Hui

This decentralisation is a good news. Hopefully the govt will replicate this in other regional towns.

Toon likes this.
  14. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

$100 mil development is definitely a good news for the Rat and investors. I am seeing many positive and good prospects about the city lately. So hang on tight, PCers who are holding some IPs there.

Well, this is my opinion only, not an investment advice. ;)

Toon likes this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Man, I thought you were saying 9000km from Beijing in the small farming community of Melbourne.... :D

The Y-man

Toon likes this.
  16. Xiao Hui

Haha... The Chinese cannot do that in Australian soil!

17. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Some tasty quarterly increases in some Ballarat suburbs:

"A huge jump in house prices has put Ballarat suburb Soldiers Hill among the city’s top growth areas in the past quarter.

The inner northern suburb recorded an 8.2 per cent increase in house prices in the first three months of 2017.

It is a figure that will continue to climb when 600 new government workers move to Ballarat’s Civic Hall site in 2020.

There was more strong growth for Ballarat with Alfredton jumping 6.5 per cent and Mount Clear 4.8 per cent for the quarter."
    Boom time for Ballarat suburb

If it keeps pushing out into surrounding suburbs I'll be happy.

Beelzebub likes this.
  18. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Yep, this is happening on a larger scale in Geelong and is no doubt one of several factors for the recent strong growth there.

Toon likes this.
  19. live2learn

live2learn New Member

Hi Tobe, great to know that you have positive cash flow properties in Ballarat. I have a budget of about 200k could you please suggest some good suburbs to invest and suburbs to avoid in Ballarat?

Thanks heaps mate!

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

It's some positive news for a change. Ballarat has been in the dumps for ages. Once again I started doubting my skills as I was predicting a significant recovery 2 years ago......

That's why I bought 7

Toon and The Y-man like this.