VIC Ballarat picking up ??

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jack, 14th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Beelzebub likes this.
  2. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Barely any sales in the heritage part of Canadian (near Clayton St etc, bordering Ballarat East and Golden Point). Seems like almost all sales are new homes, or at least newish homes. I’m finding it difficult to track the heritage part of Canadian simply due to there being so few sales.

Beelzebub and Toon like this.
  3. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

4. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Last edited: 29th Nov, 2018
    Toon and MikeyBallarat like this.
  5. Dalos

Dalos Member

Not sure that place is a good exemplar even for around the lake. ;)

It really has come a long way the last few years. The change in Armstrong street is especially pronounced over a bit of a longer term. Not sure I'd claim it to be a foodie haven, but here's enough around now that visitors from Melbourne won't turn their noses up. (though not the Novelty of a new place every week you have in a big city).

I kind of feel like when I describe it to people now I'm saying "there's one great <Insert Cuisine>".

Moon and Mountain and the Pub with Two names certainly leave more of a Melbourne whiff off them, as did (do) Hop Temple and Mitchell Harris before them.

Toon, MrBubbleHead and MikeyBallarat like this.
  6. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

And spreading to Lydiard St (if only they could do something about Reid's Guest House - I'm thinking The Gatwick here ;)).

See inside The Provincial Hotel before it reopens to the public

"It is high time for the north end of Lydiard Street to have a revival, with The Provincial perfectly placed in the centre. With the Ballarat Station Redevelopment well under way, and GovHub on the Civic Hall site set to house 1000 public servants by 2020, the area will soon be buzzing with life and activity.

Like the Coghlans, some have already identified the precinct’s potential, with the former Seymours on Lydiard building likely to become a “Melbourne-inspired outdoor bar area with a glass atrium”.

“The whole precinct is on the verge of exploding into a really dynamic, cosmopolitan area,” Mr Coghlan said.

“With the real estate prices in Soldiers Hill, combined with the number of people from Melbourne seeing the value of the real estate in Ballarat as a very attractive option, it’s going to bring a lot more people to Ballarat looking for another experience.

“Armstrong Street is close to capacity now as hospitality precinct, so I think in and around Lydiard Streets there’s a great opportunity there."

7. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

True story I used to look after the Gatwick on their fire system six years ago.

Toon likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Have stayed at reids guest house many times for a few nights in the backpackers room

Most people thought i was crazy.
    I heard heaps of horror stories from locals and non locals.

I usually went in and didnt come out for the whole night so luckily didnt hear or experience anything bad

9. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

When I initially heard the news about the closing down, I wondered if it will be knocked down to give way to other development. Having read this news, it’s really good to see heritage value will be maintained with a bit of added modern flavor with glass to the existing building.

Toon likes this.
  10. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

11. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

109 Humffray Street North, Ballarat East, Vic 3350 $379500, 4 bedrooms yes, but otherwise a pretty average house

Sold 109 Eureka Street, Ballarat East VIC 3350 on 12 Dec 2018 - 2014776013 | Domain $395k, nicely renovated but still only a tiny 2 bedroom cottage selling for almost 400!

126 Humffray Street North, Ballarat East, Vic 3350 $385k for boring brick box in heritage are with asbestos filled ugly bathroom...

Sold 202 Humffray Street North, Ballarat East VIC 3350 on 17 Dec 2018 - 2014728418 | Domain $578k, does anything more need to be said!?

Property crash, what property crash?

Toon, Beelzebub and Luca like this.