Travel & Holidays Bali hacks

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hash_investor, 19th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Looking to go to Bali for a week with family. Any do's and don'ts? Please let them flow...

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Don't bring your own boogy board.
    Don't stay in Kuta.

Do go north.

shorty, datto, Baker and 2 others like this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Do’s:
    - massage every or every other day
    - go to Ubud for a few nights at least
    - do the white water rafting (use Aussie company, more safer)
    - fit in some diving or snorkeling
    - do the cycling tour around the country side
    - buy your clothes and toiletries there (no need to lug it from Aus except essentials)
    - be prepared for Bali belly

Don’t
    - don’t bother exchanging currency until you get there. Take your Aussie dollars from here, only change a small amount at the airport (like $100), and the rest in town.
    - don’t get sucked in by the drivers haggling for business at the airport. There is a taxi stand right around the corner outside the terminal with fixed pricing.
    - if you hire a scooter, do it anywhere besides kuta

Last edited: 20th Mar, 2022
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Travel insurance

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you want to do Ubud don't do it as a day trip and the drive although not far can take a LONG time due to traffic. We did a package with Padma resorts and stayed in their Ubud resort for a couple of days then Legian resort Mountain and Beach Experience - Padma Resort Legian

I really enjoyed Ubud as it was quiet, lower temperatures and more relaxing.

Tips
    - travel insurance - absolutely do it
    - be respectful of cultural difference. Bali is mainly Hindus, be especially respectful at temples in regards to be covered up etc
    - on your last day or second last day send all your washing to be washed. It will come back clean and folded and makes packing suitcases a breeze and solves one of the worst parts of holiday - the washing when you come home. Don't use a hotel service, you'll find a washing service locally that you can drop off or will collect.
    - only use ATMs to get out money. I don't trust local money exchangers. Plenty of ATMs in 711/convenience stores
    - stack your mini bar with drinks from convenience stores and grab snacks as they are plentiful and cheap
    - learn some basic bahasa - please, thank you, yes, no etc
    - there are people at the airport that try to act like porters and will ask to help you with your luggage them demand payment. Say "Tidak" (no) and take your own luggage out to a taxi. Blue bird taxis are reputable or your hotel may have a shuttle service

bamp, shorty, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  6. Westminster

I forgot to mention gojek. Its an app like Uber but the one most commonly used on the island. You can order a passenger ride on a moped on it :p But also car rides etc
    I've only been to Bali 3 times which is pretty low for most Perth people who go very often.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Do you spray the Gojek helmets they give you? :D ... or just BYO...

The Y-man

8. Westminster

I would never travel on the back of a moped as I think it's far too dangerous and I am pretty sure my travel insurance doesn't cover it.
    I did catch a ride with a local once and ignored my own rule but thankfully I didn't go splat.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Grab - even the dog :D
    IMG-20170611-WA0005.jpg

The Y-man

10. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Normally you are covered if you have a motorcycle licence in Australia.

11. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

I'd avoid investing in hash whilst there, google Schapelle Corby

datto likes this.
  12. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Great advice. But remember when prices are already very cheap, stop trying to haggle to the point where it’s annoying to the sellers lol

Lots of things to do in Bali, Kuta is crowded for a swim if you don’t mind. Or if you want quieter nice swim, head to Uluwatu during the day. There are resorts like The Cliff (used to be Semara Resorts) where it’s opened for public not just the people who stay there, you can get lunch and swim, quite private beach. Alila Uluwatu is opened for public as well, amazing views. For Sunset, you can enjoy the Rock Bar or W hotel, Ku De Ta in Seminyak. Grilled fish dinner at Jimbaran, Menega Cafe (best on the strip). You can enjoy all these without having to pay 6 star prices hehehe… just rent a new, clean villa with a pool for 100-150 bux a night in other place.

Bali is just amazing, love the culture, very simple, patient, honest people. Always perfect for family getaway. There are mountain sightseeing, lunch at rice paddy field, Bebek Tepi Sawah, Ubud, snorkeling/diving at Sanur. Just too many things to do there, list is too long lol

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2022
  13. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Or you can just go to one of the resorts in Nusa Dua , chill out be pampered and do nothing .

Grand Hyatt is our favourite so far .

I think the thing about Bali is there is something for everyone

re Bali Belly , have an oral cholera vaccine called Dukoral before you go . Cuts down incidence of BB . I had mild BB in first occasion . Had Dukoral before second and never had a problem since

Cliff

datto, David_SYD, Toon and 1 other person like this.
  14. Westminster

Club Med at Nusa Dua is awesome for kids. Walk in, put money away in safe and just spend 7 days all inclusive.

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

When are you planning to go. Have you booked? Will be interesting to know how you find the current hurdles ie testing, possible quarantine if test positive, travel insurance etc.

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Avoid illicit substances.

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Mar, 2022
  17. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Bagus:
    - Sate Ayam with sambal
    - Waterbom
    - Diving
    - Ribs from Juicy and Crispy in Sanur or Naughty Nuri's in Ubud
    - Babi guling for breakfast

Tidak bagus:
    - Motorbiking without a license
    - Kuta for more than an hour
    - Traffic
    - Canggu taxi Mafia (still go, Canggu is great)

18. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    You could travel to Bali for a month every year , stay in a new place every night and never make a dent in the available options

My wife is Indonesian and we have traveled to Bali many many many times , and are heading over for 10
    Days shortly . Usually we opt for Nusa Dua , which is on the east side . It’s private and secure and offers a range of excellent resorts such as ritz Carlton , grand Hyatt ( our personal Favourite ) Westin , Sofitel and several others . There are also some next level luxurious ones like St Regis , Mulia ( worlds best buffet 2 or 3 years running ) and the new Kempinski resort . It’s by the far the most family / kid friendly and has far better beaches than the more popular western side . The only downside is that it doesn’t get the sunsets . But it’s only 15 minutes to Jimbaran to catch them !

on the west side you have sunsets . Starting with Kuta - Perth’s most Northern suburb. Think backpackers and bin tang singlets with a scattering of mid level hotels like Pullman , a decent sized mall and a Hard Rock Cafe . If you are on a tighter budget it’s probably the best bet .

Legian and Seminyak sit just north of Kuta - think more cashed up bogans than Kuta …: ) some very good restaurants and hotels , and some must do venues like potato head , w bar , etc

Further north again is Canggu - the new hot spot .

inland is Ubud - it’s green and more green . Very different to the beach locations . Some very nice places to stay but probably a little boring for kids for more than a couple of days

South of Kuta and the airport is jimbaran . Some fantastic resorts - Intercontinental, four seasons , Ayana . Put dinner at jimbaran beach on your must do list if you like seafood . Put Rock bar at Ayana on your must do list of you want an instagram moment to make people jealous .

further south gets a little more difficult to access but I recommend you make the effort to get down to Uluwatu . Visit El Kabron for cocktails at sunset . It’s spectacular . Visit Karma Kandara for a beach afternoon . Access to private beach club via a travelator

then there’s the Bulgari resort , Alila etc …. Even if you don’t have the budget , go visit them and see how the other half holiday !

We rent a car when we are there and love driving in the chaos called Bali traffic … it’s dirt cheap at 30-40 AUD per day . you may prefer a driver and suv on standby for double that . If you are using taxis - bluebird only .

19. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

If you have the time and can stand a 4 hour (Bali) car ride...

Just before the pandemic hit, my ex and I stayed on the west end of the north coast, near Pemuteran Beach. Private villa at an eco-resort called Sumberkina Hill Retreat. Infinity pool, hillside views. Very quiet, lovely beaches (no surf though), did an amazing scuba diving day off the coast of West Bali National Park.

For a total switch off and chill out...

upload_2022-3-29_8-38-6.png

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

You forgot my favourite - Sanur.

I do like the Nusa Dua bubble though and my Bali holidays are usually a pairing of Sanur and ND.