QLD Bald Hills QLD

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Nervous, 4th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

Hello dear people,

You have been very helpful and I’m thankful to everyone who replied to my prior posts. We managed to get out of the contract in termite infested property. With no loss other than time. Super happy.

Now we are thinking of putting an offer for a place in Bald Hills.

500m2 land, flood free, 3 bed. The owner is a sweet lady. She said she likes us and happy to sell for Low $400K. She is even giving us our time to decide as she is not in a rush, moving into acreage so she doesn’t need this place anymore. The house would have OO appeal as it doesn’t look like the cookie cutter houses.

It’s close (3 train stations) to upcoming university area in the Mill, that will be a plus right?

What are your thoughts of Bald Hills as long term investment? Is it too far from CBD? Is the price ok?

Sorry I can’t post pictures yet out of respect for her privacy if we don’t go with the offer.

Would appreciate feedback.

Last edited: 4th Jun, 2018
  2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Bald hills is a nice suburb.

1. It’s close to Strathpine, fairly central.
    2. BCC council
    3. Little flood free land left so mostly built in
    4. Good transport network
    5. Higher income then surrounding suburbs
    6. Close to new uni campus
    7. Smack bang between Bris and Sunny coast
    Overall I think it’s great. I’m exploring it myself :)

MikeyBallarat and Nervous like this.
  3. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

Hi @Nervous, I would hold your card a little closer to your chest if I was you. Your giving away valuable information and it may prove costly.
    That whole area Strahpine to Kallangur is a good bet long term imo. The fundamentals are all there.
    If she likes you so much see if she will knock more off the price ;)

George Smiley and Nervous like this.
  4. Nervous

Thank you @Noobieboy and @TapTap.
    I have adjusted the post to give a bit less information. Thank you for the tip @TapTap. I wouldn’t feel right negotiating with her as she showed me an offer that was very slightly higher than what we discussed.

I thought so about Bald Hills. It’s a bit pricier than Strathpine or Kallangur but closer to CBD. It is also nicer than both of Northen suburbs.

What would you think a 3 bedder in a good condition is worth (ballpark). I’m worried are overpaying. But I always overthink everything which can be frustrating.

5. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

How much time have you spent researching comparable sales in the area?
    What’s the median price for the suburb, filter close to that and get a real feel for the ‘average’ property for that price in the area. Then look at what you are thinking of paying and look at all the comparables in the suburb (and surrounding suburbs).
    Make sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of location and product.
    Spend as much time as possible doing this and you will start to get comfortable with pricing.

6. Noobieboy

@TapTap has good pints. At the end of the day it’s what you like and what you prepared to pay. Do some research. Low $400 seems a reasonable price to me. Especially if the house is in good condition. You will hardly find anything in Brisbane lower than 450-500K on that size of block these days.

7. LalorParkResident

LalorParkResident Member

Hi,
    I bought a property in bald hills one year back and it seems a pretty good suburb. I never hand problem in renting the property there. But I would suggest that you always look for a land which is bigger than 600 meter square so that it has good future growth potential if you are looking for investment or even for personal residence.

Here is what is suggest. If I have an option to buy with 400K
    * A 500 square meter with good house
    * A 600+ square meter with not so good house.
    I will pick the bigger land.

You can always move in the house and spend 20k-30k over a period of one year to make it better.

It will be very difficult to get bigger land near to city 5 + years down the land.
    If your land is big, you can always put granny flat later to add additional income to reduce financial stress.

8. Nervous

Thank you. So it seems it is a good suburb.
    We wanted to go for a largwr block (ex 600+). But this property is walking distance to train station (about 10 minutes walk). So we thought this is a big drawcard.
    Generally people prefer to leave close to transport and as this will be investment property we want it to be desirable. Its also walking distance to shops etc.

Are there particular areas i should be staying away from?

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Is it right on the Main road?

10. Nervous

No @Angel honey. Its not. Its about 150 meters from the main road (as crow flies) and approximately 9 min walk to train station.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's probably fine then :)

You have checked flood map? Next door to one of those big noisy churches? Someone once bought a house that backs onto the train line. I was sceptical but we never heard of any problems getting tenants there.

12. Nervous

Yes! I did all these checks. Quiet street. No noisy churches or mosques nearby! No flood ever recorded.

Thank you angel. Seems I’m on the right track. I’m hoping we are not overpaying :oops:

13. Noobieboy

You seem know what you are doing. Stop the analysis paralysis! If you done the DD and you belive property is good investment go for it. What a couple thousand bucks will change? Nothing. Even if you overpaid by $10K, in long run it doesn’t matter.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Building and Pest time.

FYI
    bh.JPG

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2018
  15. Nervous

Thank you so much @Leo2413 , so happy to see it is a high demand market.

I ordered a B&P today and should be able to post and update or questions on Friday.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Best of luck buddy/buddess. Most important is to make sure you did your comparable analysis, apples with apples. So you know the real value of the place you're buying. If you are confident with that then its unlikely you are overpaying.

Nervous likes this.
  17. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Bald Hills is a great place. Infact entire of Northern Brissy is flying.

18. Nervous

Thank you. Yes it is! Flood free and central I think. Just got my B&P will update shortly.

19. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Actually you cant just add a granny flat to add additional income. Its not lalor park. Granny flats are not permitted to be rented separately in BCC like they are in NSW. People, do your research before spending your hard earned $$$. Every state has different rules of play, learn the rules before you invest

LalorParkResident and Noobieboy like this.
  20. Noobieboy

From your other posts seems you already decided on the house, but do take note of @Inov8ive post. You cant just assume you can put a granny flat. Also, Bald Hills is majority OO suburb, ranters only 23%. That is a good thing, broadly speaking.

11-06-2018 10-16-09 AM.png