Balcony - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Development' started by NZ88, 12th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Rawson homes have a pretty good reputation and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet although there is probably someone who hasn't had a perfect experience as with all builders. Speak to jaypee from the forum who is currently building with Rawson so you can ask how his experience is with them so far. I might be doing an inspection on his Rawson home in a couple of weeks.

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yep too small, save the 6k or put it elsewhere, like auto window shutters

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

It looks like the balcony actually comes off Bed 2 on the Kingston 29 instead of the main bedroom so you may want to think about who's going to be using this space and how practical a balcony is. If you lose the balcony, however, it may detract from the overall facade design as it sits over the entry thus streamlining the design overall. If it were me, and financially viable, I'd prefer to utilize this space as an interior space and dedicate to a sitting area or more storage/study area. Best of luck with the build- I've seen lots of Rawson homes in our area and they appear to be a well-regarded building company.

4. NZ88

NZ88 New Member

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the responses, if i loose the balcony i can choose a different facade which is fine, i was not sure if i should but based on all the responses i believe i am going to use the money elsewhere within the house, which was what i originally had in mind.

Yes based on the reviews i have read about Rawson they seem to be good overall and their prices are reasonable.

Thanks for everyone's participation =) Cheers!

Gockie likes this.
  5. SushilTeli

SushilTeli New Member

Did you end up with a Balcony? I have a same Dilemma and I too am building a property in the same North-West Suburb. Your response will be appreciated

6. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Depends on how the balcony is accessed - via a living room (good) or a bedroom (not so good).

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hey @SushilTeli
    Welcome to the forum :cool:
    Nice use of the search function ;)
    The Original poster of this thread NZ88 hasn't been back on the forum since 6/1/2016
    So doubt you will get a response :(
    The overall general opinion is likely to be to "spend the money elsewhere" (at least that was the consensus if the balcony was off a bedroom).

8. SushilTeli

SushilTeli New Member

Thanks for your reply! Noted. My access to the balcony would be via both: Upper living room and via Bed room.

9. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Hi SushilTeli,
    My parents proudly owner-built their double storey house with a huge balcony at the facade, facing the street. Twenty years have passed -- ie. now -- we can count the number of times this balcony has been used. [less than 20 times. house is my parents' pride and joy. balcony is accessed only when parents take new guests on a house-tour]. :p

The balcony door [leading to the upper living room] is constantly closed because "too much dust from the street". They said.

The neighbours along the street had similar good-looking facade with big balconies at front. I jokingly asked a few of them if they actually used their balcony. Not often.

Don't get me wrong. I love balconies. I would definitely include one if I were to build a double storey house for my family. However, I'd want my balcony to face & overlook the greenery / the sea / the sunrise / the sunset / the beautiful nature... or at least, my own backyard . Dusty roads with vehicles swerving past aren't that much of a pretty sight to behold.

craigc and Stoffo like this.