Bad quality living in Melb

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ATANG, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Is it just me or has anyone realized many apartments or townhouses built since late 90s and early 20s in Melb are not so practical in the following ways:

- Often you found them having bedroom without window. This mostly occur in internal spaces where they have to create a door with fake window which borrows light from external real window. You be surprised how many apartments actually built like this. I haven't lived in one like this so I can't comment how practical it is, has any?

- Also you found sooooo many apartments having kitchen placed right internally. I mean.... It's really not practical if you cook a lot especially with frying stuff where the smell just stuck in the living area. That's why I like old school units as they are built so practically that often u see there's window at kitchen area. Anyone agrees?

- Small space. I don't understand why developers have to build sooo many one and two bedders. Why? Why? Why? In Adelaide, new apartments are so spacious. Even in Sydney, you don't see 49sqm one bedder. But in Melb, they like to put kitchen next to your TV wall, and you will be cooking in the living room. It seems like they just not trying hard enough with the design and just build so many boxes quickly and put a high price tag on it just because of location. Even in overseas like Kuala Lumpur, luxury condos are meant to be luxury, like you will see every piece of the condo made to cater your daily needs, for example no bedroom walls connects to another bedroom's, and each room has an external window etc.

- One bathroom. Another puzzle for me not understanding why it's so expensive to have an extra bathroom. I can understand an extra parking might cost a lot more due to space limit but bathroom....?

marty998 and Xenia like this.
  2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Don't go for new devs. The late 90s early 2000s apartments are actually more spacious then the newer devs. U get 2 beds apartments in 80-110sqm compared to 59-65sqm now. Just renovate

3. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with you. Sounds horrible. Equally why do so many new build houses on developments have the smallest possible plots of land, even ones in rural areas? All the windows in the house looking directly onto a fence which is within touching distance. I mean why? Family homes with no gardens and no sunlight.

4. nswvic

nswvic Member

And there are some 2 bedder apartments where the smaller bedroom is without window, with access to a common bathroom sharing between the 2 bedrooms.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I lived in a 1 bedder in Newcastle years ago. Its bedroom was a dwarf wall/window.

I didn't have a problem with this setup as y ok u were 2 rooms away from the outside.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I once worked at a company where the hours of work were 8am till 5pm Monday to Friday and the room we worked in only had a small window... looking into the carpark.
    Very depressing after coming from a company with much better views. (Including water views).

I was not a morning person and I was driving there most days... too much slow traffic in both mornings and evenings.... it was close enough to cycle to really but as I hated mornings... urrggghhh.... no thanks.

I realised I really disliked that job after the first week but it took me 3 months to eventually move on from there.... It was just after the GFC after all.

7. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Its no bad quality at all :) I spent some time in UK last year and see so many people without any homes.... Its just we have so many options in Melbourne.

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Unfortunately the internal window of bedrooms thing does pass building code. This page does a good job of explaining how light can be "borrowed" from adjoining rooms to meet code.

Australian Dream - Window sizes and locations.

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

im just curios whether going smaller smaller and smaller is just a global economical trend/inevitability,

once people start flocking to an area, they want to stay as close as possible at the expense of larger dwellings, on top of that peoples expectations change, while from a development perspective, its far more profitable to make say 3 x 1 bdrs and charge $400k instead of making a large 2bdr and selling it for $600k

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Smaller apartments come with higher costs/m2 not lower - from having less 'cheaper space' ie living areas vs more expensive 'serviced areas' ie kitchen/bathrooms take up more space as a % of a smaller unit as well as requiring additional sound attenuation measues both below and between units.