NSW Bad PM - switching issue?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JingyunBo, 31st Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JingyunBo

JingyunBo Active Member

Have had few incidents with PM where we are not getting any updates before/during any repair work at the property and we have follow-up everytime for any updates ...couple of recent events ...

1) We have a video door bell which had stopped working, I explicitly mentioned PM that instead of a new portable doorbell, I prefer to fix the existing bell first. Thus I asked them to get the trades person to find the problem and fix it. I was initially told by PM that it will be $80 and PM responded me saying the door bell issue has been fixed. So I was always under the impression that the existing doorbell was fixed but after few weeks I saw there is a small portable door bell attached instead of fixing the video doorbell. So I asked for clarification from PM, they told me - The handyman had advised that the doorbell cannot be fixed hence the portable doorbell has been installed...My concern is, I should have been informed about it before putting in the portable door bell - as it's such a small thing I could have done it myself too and moving ahead I told them, I appreciate regular clear updates on job status and timeline please.

2) After couple of months, we got notification of urgent request from that all three toilets are not working since last 3 days :) ( 3 days no toilet!!! really??)...but anyways.... So again here, I asked PM to proceed with their plumber, get me the quote and let the plumber call me so I know what the problem is and if we should proceed further with him or get someone else. This was agreed by PM. But as expected, I didn't hear anything from PM for a day or so, so I called them to ask what's happening with that request as we dont want tenant to suffer from such issue. PM told me the plumber visited property and fixed the issue and you will get invoice at end of the month. Here again, PM didn't keep me updated about it and didnt follow what we agreed on. Now I got invoice which says - Repaired the toilet and switched water supply from water tank to mains water : $350
    This price may be ok, I don't have issue with the invoice but I have issue with PM in way the situation has been handled so far ...every time I have to follow-up and they give excuse.

I am seriously thinking to change the PM but unfortunately, there is 90 day termination period which generally means I have to wait 90 days before I can ask someone else to take over management. The PM is one of the big company in that area and I am afraid if I issue termination request for them now, they may cause issue to current tenant - which may provoke them to vacant the property. I am happy with tenant and the rents so don't want to break that.

Any thoughts/guidance on this situation?

2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I doubt they would cause problems . That would be very unprofessional.
    When you change send a letter to the tenant (or email if you have their email) letting them know you are changing agents due to being unhappy with the service. They may be happy if they have had issues of delays etc.
    Nothing worse than a bad agent. I put up with one for years. Then the straw that broke the camels back with one of my properties. They asked- Are you changing the other properties too? HAHA! No I want to to hopelessly keep managing the other ones. DUH!

Approach the new agent. Sometimes they will take over immediately and forgo the first few months commission.
    When signing new contracts cross out the 90 day notice.

JingyunBo and wylie like this.
  3. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

There are ways to deal with this situation. I’ll PM you

JingyunBo likes this.
  4. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Changing PM has no impact on your tenancy agreement, except the tenant needing to changing the agent account they make payment into or alternatively complete a new direct debit form with the new agent

usually it is a smooth handover behind the scenes (subject to your current PM not being nasty as they are losing your business)

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You could stick with the current PM and just have all issue's directed to you ....

That way you can organise the plumber and any other repairs and liaise directly with the trades to know what's going on (but good luck keeping track if you have 10+ property).

beach-haven likes this.
  6. Looking4PM

Looking4PM Active Member

Your gut feeling tells you: run and get a new PM.

momentum26 likes this.
  7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

In all scenarios, the outcomes that occurred, were they the same or nearabouts what you would have said to do or done anyway?

Back to your management agreement, have you got instructions in there detailing your expectations? If not, that's where you need to start. You've labelled them a "bad PM", I'm willing to bet they have done everything that their agreement with you states and it's actually your misunderstanding of the agreement and lack of communication that is the real issue here.

For example, you need to state - no autonomy to spend *any* money on repairs and maintenance without approval, and to call you for *everything*, and then you need to be ready and available to take a call every 5 minutes to respond and give instruction, otherwise your tenant will suffer whilst your PM is waiting on you to 'ok' and 'be across' everything. Micromanagement has a time and place, sometimes clients just can't let go and delegate properly to the PM, and that causes bigger problems.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. This incident shows poor communication and careless business manner of the PM. From this incident you could have predicted the next incident was coming...

The second incident (blocked toilet) is very similar to the hot water system incident happened to me (I posted my story on propertychat)

Last edited: 31st Oct, 2021
  9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

It sounds like your PM may be looking after too many properties/overworked and so once a work order is sent for a tradie, they don't have the time to work with the tradie or follow up.

It's not likely that changing the PM will impact your tenancy which will stay with the property. If you want to give the PM another chance you could request to change the notice period to 14 or 30 days in the meanwhile, that will make it quicker to move in future.

10. Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina Well-Known Member

A handyman is not a suitable person to attend to that problem.

S. 68(4) inserted by No. 45/2018 s. 55(5).

(4) The residential rental provider must ensure that any person who carries out any repairs or works to discharge the residential rental provider's duty under subsection (1) is a suitably qualified person.

Your PM should be aware of Section 68(4) to send a suitable person.

though they are working for large or small companies. Some PM's are really bad. They don't get better. and most of them wouldn't have a clue about legislation.

Send a registered post to OIEC (office in effective control). you need a PM change. Don't bother telling to the team leader. they will be as bad.

How to find OIEC

Definitions - estate agents

Search the Estate agents public register - Consumer Affairs Victoria, Victoria

OIEC should be making his or her job to find out the issues and sort them for you.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.