Bad caeserstone install - is a discount reasonable?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by vbplease, 9th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Just had my car fixed. Panel beater tried to tell me that paint specs on the newly painted bumper were perfectly acceptable based on "MTAA standards of which he has been a member of for more than 20 years"
    I stood there and shrugged my shoulders refusing to take delivery and asked them politely to buff it out (in my mind was thinking - I don't give a crap). He started getting annoyed and walked in. His offsider pulled out the tools and buffed it out. Took his offsider about 5 mins in total.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, stand your ground. Unless you signed a contract which stipulated that crappy cuts are acceptable (and you signed on that condition), then it doesn't matter if they claim that by "xyz made up bs standards that dodgy cuts are perfectly acceptable". What was described to you was not what was received.

I would even have a look in their own show room to see if they have any dodgy cuts on display and use that against them.

vbplease and Samten like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Out of interest, I just looked up your rights under Australian Consumer Law. Basically,

In my opinion, that definitely covers the option of negotiating a discount.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

vbplease likes this.
  3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Nice work.
    From what this installer was saying I was doubting that an invisible finish was even possible?? He said for an l-shape join a 1-3mm gap is standard. Up to 5mm is ok as per caeserstone specs.. A quick google check confirms that a few stonemasons advertise the invisible finish.

Last edited: 10th Sep, 2015
  4. vbplease

Good point.
    I'm a real cheapskate and would love to chase a big discount, but the poor finish is forever..

5. vbplease

Many thanks for looking this up.. I'll keep this handy. The retailer will inspect tomorrow. So far they've expressed that it should be rectified at the contractors expense..
    I'm surprised the contractor is in business stating their level of finish is acceptable.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

5mm? That's ridiculous!
    Even the crappy joins I've seen (jagged edge) are 2mm max.

7. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

How about chucking some photos up? Would be interesting to see how reasonable you're being or if you're just chasing some money back.
    Luckily you've only paid 50% so far if the job really is botched.

Correct avenue would be to stop talking to the stonemason all together and take it up with the retailer only.

8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Caesarstone will not entertain you unless it is product fault like color goes off more the stone has some defect. They will come and replace it if it is to do with their product defect.
    The finishing all depends on the workmanship of the stonemason and not the product

Caesarstone is also just a brand name and there are others like essa stone, smart stone or the china brand YDL which is used in kitchens which are far cheaper. Many developers often use YDL and say it's caesarstone

9. melbournian

What type of pattern ? if it is builder range it is expensive

The top range one is the Calcutta marble lookalike in caesarstone which the slab I believe is $2000-$2500 alone prior to cutting and finishing

10. melbournian

That's the builder range stone this should cost around $1800 installed max. I've done a larger surface area 55 mm thickness for ard $2500

Attached Files: