Backyard of larger Brisbane property..

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by willair, 1st Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

willair likes this.
  3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

"Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said the situation would be reviewed as the regulations needed to be uniform on tiny homes.

"I don't think we want to see these splattered all over the city, but nonetheless it provides an opportunity if people are trying to get into a first home ownership situation. It provides them with a stepping stone, so to speak," he said."

---- I agree with the Lord Mayor. The last thing I want to see splattered across brisbane is affordable and safe housing options for young families! Brisbane housing must never change, and should not be flexible and varied, otherwise you run the very real risk of having a housing situation that suits the needs of the community!

Perthguy, Whitecat, wylie and 2 others like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Until the first fire tragedy due to overcrowding or bad construction.

Then all the supporters of 'flexible' and 'varied' housing will be baying for Council's blood.

Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't...

willair likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A few grains of truths, mistruths or matters for legal interpretation.....

"It's not a fixed structure so you can't get a building approval for it," Ms Noble said.

A commercial kitchen fitout is on wheels so you can move equipment easily for cleaning....it still requires approval.

As for the aesthetics - it's a fibro shack on wheels....is it roadworthy if they must move it?

Next step is parking in your street - that'll raise a few eyebrows.

Council also has to close the gap between these moveable dwellings and GF with non-family members residing in them.

willair likes this.
  6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Im constantly seeing caravan parks bursting into flame spontaneously due to people being too close together.

Ed Barton likes this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

And there is the difference. They are caravan parks. I.e. Subject to standards and regulation. Therefore they don't usually burn down.

My point is that everyone wants a free for all when it suits them. When things turn sour it s always some one else's fault - and people love to blame any level of government for their own stupid decisions

dabbler and Blueskies like this.
  8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Youre right. The world is black and white with no middle points.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I dont see any difference between a "tiny house" and a caravan. I have always wanted the councils to allow people to live in a caravan in their Grandma's back yard. In many places it is not allowed.

Ed Barton, wylie, Tim86 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

My next door neighbour has a very large caravan that they use for holidays parked in their front yard. No one lives in it, so council will be happy. But why not let someone live in it? It looks exactly the same parked up empty or lived in.

Kind of like a carton of milk in the fridge. It looks the same full or empty. And its probably going to be more helpful to someone for it to be full.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Going back to the young couple in Bardon.
    Let's assume they are living in Grandma's backyard, because there aren't any vacant blocks of land there and if there were, they would be worth at least half a mill$. Grandma has the security of not really being alone and the kids have somewhere affordable to live. If the property belongs to Mum and Dad at least they are "moving out". Everyone wins.

The neighbours cant complain that something small is degrading their neighbourhood, because from the photo, the tiny house was nestled behind a huge hedge-looking thing, which again makes me think of elderly owners who aren't maintaining their garden any longer.

The people we know who live in their caravan have it parked in their son's backyard. You cannot possibly see it from the street and two of the neighbouring properties. The third neighbours only see a few inches of its roof above the colourbond fence. The van isn't as tall as the manshed it is parked next to.

Perthguy and Tim86 like this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My take on it is that it could be a case of the haves (the landowners) vs the have nots (the non landowners). And further splitting this down, well located vs. Not well located.

What if it becomes legal that everybody can have small portable housing on their land? Suddenly you might find the price of well located land shooting up because the landowners can earn extra income housing additional renters. Seeing superior rental returns, cashed up people (eg. Chinese and Sydneysiders) may start buying your better located properties with more gusto. This might lock your FHB out of the market, or send them to the outskirts. That's nothing new but this policy, if allowed, might accelerate the process.

An alternative is that your young people may end up becoming renters in small backyard cabins... that strategy is not going to build them wealth unless they decide to invest (and I suspect many won't).

Personally I couldn't live in a 20 sqm space for any long period of time, but if the landowners have the right to let it out Airbnb style, it can give the landowner significant extra income. Rich get richer....

This is more likely in the better located areas so expect to see more price divergence.

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2016
    willair and Joynz like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

This form of dwelling raises the usual issues: security of tenure - the tenant must have a lease, have the occupants of the house got the right to sublet (if they're tenants themselves) or as owner and the is leased? Can the occupants assign the lease & sell the building?

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I certainly see your point about the future price discrepancies between well-located suburbs and the others. It will always be that way, I believe.

I imagine in Brisbane that there are still plenty of land owners who have no desire at all to share their backyard with strangers. Like granny flats, cabins and battleaxe blocks, I dont see it taking off to the same extent that it would in places where you have a high rate of migrants who are used to living in crowded tight spaces.

15. Scott No Mates

More typical tenure issues - kick out mobile home owners: linky

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How do tiny mobile homes connect to the sewer for toilet flushing and shower drainage?

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, turn our cities into shanty towns....that is why they do not allow it.

Also, reminds me of Cousin Eddie at the Griswalds with his....Rrrrr Vvvvv :)

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2016
  18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do, caravans are designed for travel, often these other things do not seem to be.

They could allow what NSW does, approved GF or small dwellings.

Joynz and Gockie like this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Sorry, I mean as far as size goes. In the States Tiny Houses are built onto trailers at the factory and then the owner tows it to their land. The difference between a GF and a cabin/caravan is the GF is a dwelling built to be a permanent fixture and a cabin or caravan is removable when the resident's circumstances change and it is no longer required.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Victoria, a GF has to be removed once the dependent person is no longer using it.