Back on Uber this weekend

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Taku Ekanayake, 24th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

the bonus will barely make it equal to your other odd job

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Im in the same camp as PT and plucka etc. Uber for drivers is nothing more than a J.O.B. You're effectively swapping your time and vehicle running costs for an inflated hourly rate to cover such costs, bringing your net rate of return down to mediocre wage slave territory.

After taking in all the considerations, the only real winners is Uber and the end user. 'Staff' are effectively part of the process, without being 'screwed' by an 'employer'.

To see its not a great earner, you have to look at it from a business perspective.

pinkboy

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

LOL

No way

inflexible hours
    as casual, last minute notice all the time
    say no once or twice and get no more work
    need special license
    need special training costing around 1500
    need to deal with some real idiots as your likely to get handed to sub par gigs
    still need a car !

Uber main advantages are all polar opposite to above

Not to mention standing outside in heat or cold wet nights is nowhere near as appealing as sitting in your own heated and AC equip car :) Oh and probably lot less pay.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. dabbler

All those points are true, but the work when you want is a huge attraction if it is only a part time gig I reckon, if they had no GST/BAS requirement it would be very tempting, if you can earn 40-100 in your normal line of work, you would not even consider this.

No one can deny, Taku is xx dollars ahead rather than sitting at home or applying for a formal casual job that has no flexibility for the mug doing the work, so I think it works well for some.

5. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

When people say things like "just get a casual job" I always wonder where these casual jobs are that I can work on demand with minimal training or qualifications required. When I'm bored on a Sunday I'd love to go do something like store fill at a grocery store, unfortunately I don't think they will let me rock up and start stacking in exchange for money.

aussieB, Excalibur1 and Tyler Durden like this.
  6. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

HAHAHHAHA this made me laugh so much! love the sarcasm!

Uber is great short term, if you need help while studying, extra income. but sadly yes once all costs are considers you don't earn much by the hour. I was reading on Uber forum of one driver who was studying and when he was not studying he would Uber. This worked great for him as he did it when he had spare time to earn a lil extra $$. Many people are not counting the interesting people, you get to meet. One of the Uber drivers i had was interested in property and I directed him to this website :). To this day we chat regularly about property and other investments. He worked in the mining industry and got made redundant, so he took up uber driving to kill time and do something while another job lines up.

While this might be a stretch but you get to learn / experience a lot of other skills as well. Customer interaction, dealing with problem passengers, conflict resolution, better navigating skills, body language reading :) etc.

Wish you all the best @Taku Ekanayake !

ellejay and Gockie like this.
  7. MoneyMan

MoneyMan Well-Known Member

Maybe try the local corner shop :D

Plutus likes this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Beung a stock filler is a fun job, great camaraderie between staff... don't have to deal with customers... I that for 8 years at Big W Macquarie...

Just the hours are too hard to do at the same time as a full time job, but its a perfect job for uni students or carers.

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I was once a shelf filler for one of the big chains.

The bosses didn't like me eating the chips and guzzling down the energy drinks as I was stacking the shelves. I told them it made me work harder.

When they finally gave me the marching orders I smoked the tyres just outside the front door. Half hour later I was back there buying some groceries lol.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

On most nights I worked I would usually see damaged and opened packs of lollies even straight out of the box... the % opened was quite high... seemed very sus to me...

datto likes this.
  11. dabbler

Datto's next job was delivery of goods to large chain store :):):)

Actually the big chains treat staff like garbage, tell staff to go home once at work etc, change things at last second, expect you to be sitting waiting for call if one of the permanents does a no show, at least with Uber your running your own gig pretty much & when you like for as long as you like.

datto likes this.
  12. MoneyMan

Just don't do the freezer/dairy like I did..

dabbler likes this.
  13. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

14. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Where you using a VF HSV Commodore...? :)

15. MoneyMan

Kia Rio

Would be going backwards if using that thing!

16. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Just to bring back the idea has anyone ever rented their suitable car to an uber driver?
    Bought and started driving a car for the purposes of uber but finding as i only drive around 8-10 hours a week that it might be better utilised off as an investment (see them being rented for 250 and even if i rented at 150) its a very good return on investment.

I understand mechanically damage can happen and insurance is there for physical damage but what about theft (non payment)? Is there an insurance that would cover me for reporting the car stolen (if not returned by due date) etc

Thanks

17. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

You can now rent a brand new car, return it with a week's notice (minimum 4 week rental), it includes servicing, rego, has been inspected for Uber use etc all for under $300/week

That Aussie company was founded last year and is already worth close to $30m or so from memory

18. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

I was meaning has anyone rented their own car? Pretty much like this business but pretty much undercutting them (not a brand new car). As mentioned above i would be happy with around 150 per week. While i know the car would be not as good as brand new, it would save the driver $150.

19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The closest I know is Car share Sydney Melbourne | Van & car hire | Rent out your car | Car Next Door. I am not sure that would be suitable for uber though.

20. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sorry should have elaborated. I haven't but you'd have to consider the return vs risk, likewise with the person renting.

At $100 less for an entire week, they might not be covered insuranxe wise, your car might not be as new etc, im sure you'd still get some bites but it's a harder sell than before IMO

Perthguy likes this.