Health & Family Baby Formula

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by neK, 14th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I had the same problem about 2 years ago for my first born. I always go to baby section to check out the supplies of Aptamil whenever I go to supermarket, and as soon as it is available I always buy 4 (restricted to 4 in my area).

Now with second one looks like I will need to do this all over again ......

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about this baby formula stuff.

I thought there was only one formula to make a baby, and you probably don't even need to buy anything. You have everything you need already.

SouthBoy likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's more a case of not having bought/used something which causes all of the problems.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

But what else of nutritional value are you supposed to feed a 2 month old if you can't/don't breastfeed?

5. MindMaster

MindMaster Well-Known Member

They make plenty of formula here. The problem is quality. Quality can range from deadly to unpleasant and lacking a complete range of nutrion. A bit like playing with Russian Roulette with better odds.

So when it comes to my daughter, there is no question about buying Aussie formula.

6. Scott No Mates

Those who are cutting formula in China are replacing all of the milk powder with formaldehyde which contains no nutrients and can't be digested. Essentially the kids are being fed chalk in suspension and starving to death.

That's why people are importing the product from Oz.

Since when did boobs contain fillers (silicone excluded)?

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow crazy stuff! China with some tough love encouraging the boob.
    There are laws in Oz that prevents advertising of formula to new born or <12mth olds.
    Not every woman can breast feed but it is short term pain, long term gain

8. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

This statement doesn't make any sense. Replacing milk produced *by the mother* with *any* powder is, in itself, non-nutritious.

9. Scott No Mates

Not what I am saying - racketeers substitute the milk powder (ok to consume) with fillers (sets like concrete).

Not all kids are lactose tolerant so require substitutes eg soy, goat, dog, rabbit etc. Not all mothers can breastfeed either.

10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Breast really is best, but for those who can't breast feed, a properly formulated formula does a reasonable job of providing the essential nutrition required by a baby.

11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

it's very hard to buy good formula in china and extremely expensive. sure some people do buy it to onsell for a profit but many buy for themselves or for relatives, just like singaporeans and malaysians often buy vitamins and supplements here for themselves or relatives as it's often double the price over there.

there have also been some ridiculous moves by chinese govt to make the import of formula even harder, even some of the big boys have been caught up. if im not wrong danone had stuff rejected too and theyre a massive supplier.

ive sold container loads of baby formula into china for a client that we packed into his brand and the dramas he went through to get the containers cleared despite having all approvals and the product being of excellent quality were ridiculous.

i dont blame many of the chinese for buying so much of it, we probably would in their situation too.

with dairy prices as low as they are atm and the big over supply any gripe you should have should be with the manufacturers or distributors or retailers for clearly not focusing on the aussie market enough.

12. sanj

so it's fine for you to want your daughter to have good formula (i'd do the same in your situation) but if the chinese do the same thing they're locusts?

jim1964 likes this.
  13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the NZ company Fonterra ship this stuff to China in massive quantities? NZ has had a Free Trade Agreement with China for a few years.

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

15. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

16. MindMaster

MindMaster Well-Known Member

The OP was having a rant about overseas Chinese Mainlanders who are cleaning stores out of formula to sell as a profit. I/my daughter are not Chinese, we are not buying formula to make a profit and we are not cleaning out shops.

So to answer your question, yes It is fine

17. sanj

And my point is that many buying formula is for their kids or family members/friends. They are just as entitled to buy it as we are.

Ultimately i dont really care, i was jusy providing some background info as i have myself sold containers of infant formula into china

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@sanj As long you are sourcing the milk powder directly from the wholesaler, I don't have any issue with what you do - you are not the people that I am annoyed at.

However if you are buying from Coles and Woolies (or similar), then intending it to sell overseas, then i do have an issue with it. The stock at the local supermarket is designated for AUSTRALIAN residents to consume, not for greedy scum out to make a buck, meanwhile the other families who reside in Australia need to drive around looking for the milk powder at multiple stores only to come home empty handed, then trying to provide a their infant a substitute which they may not like....

19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

And with general ethics like that; we have to look forward to them becoming the largest population and largest economy on this Planet? o_O:eek:

Just marvelous.

20. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

We have an office in China and, whenever folks from China are here, a trip to woolies or coles is part of their daily routine. They don't trust thier own baby milk products. I asked how much he could carry back, he said, I use Australia post. I thought that would be pricey, he said, it's still pricer to buy Oz milk formula in China than it is to buy here and ship it via Aus Post.

They also buy tons of vitamins and supplements.

Can't blame them for not trusting their government in terms of the milk formula scandal.