Baby Boomers in your investment strategy

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Lightning, 30th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lightning

Lightning Member

Hi all

I was wondering if people are considering the impact of the baby boomers in investment strategy or if this even comes into play. Does anyone think there will be a marked shift in the demand for certain property types as this wave of retirees comes through the economy in the coming years?

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yep, in my limited involvement in the sector, one area already experiencing difficulties is Aged Care.

Right now, there is a huge shortfall of facilities (with long waiting lists) and they are expensive to get into (eg regional towns charge $400,000 to $500,000 as an accommodation deposit for a single room with ensuite).

Wait until all the baby boomers want Aged Care.

From what I can see, this issue isn't on anyone's radar. Governments are so focused on first home owners, they seem to have forgotten the people who made this country great.

IMHO, the **** is going to hit the fan in the next 20 years or so.

3. Wendy Chamberlain

Wendy Chamberlain Well-Known Member

Yes, older folks don't like stairs. There is definitely a demand for single level dwellings or where they are double storey, for there to be a main bedroom with ensuite and wardrobe//walk in robe on the ground floor.

Then when the grand kids come to stay, they are housed upstairs, but the baby boomers can live on the ground floor and not have to navigate stairs all the time.

I think it is a wise strategy to consider these factors when investing, so as not to cut out a major segment of your rental market - single level or a bedroom on the ground floor.

4. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I want to buy shares in an aged care business

kierank likes this.