BA in Brisbane - Paul Flynn

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Kone, 12th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kone

Kone Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering has anyone use Paul Flynn as a BA in Brisbane? I am considering to use him for my first IP but couldn't find much feedback about him and his service. Would love to hear from someone who has used him before, thank you in advance!

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

fullsizeoutput_4c09.jpeg
    Hmm never heard of him and he's not a REBAA member Location: QLD | Real Estate Buyers Agents Association of Australia (REBAA) Inc
    Also I'm not sure about his claim on his website that he's "Queensland's oldest and most experienced" buyers agent....

When I was researching this business back in 2001 to set up my own business the oldest and most experienced BA at that time was Scott McGeever from Property Searchers (now PS Property Advisory) who's been operating since 1999. If there was a Paul Flynn buyers agency back then I certainly don't recall it.....

Kone and Sackie like this.
  3. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Maybe he is talking about age and not experience

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

We have clients that have worked with Paul and Santosh, and I have known both of them for many years.

The deals that have come across my table have all been at least ok to usually good to great, which I must say isnt the norm for BAs working in the region.

I must stress we dont give positive investment selection advice to clients, but certainly bark very loudly if our client has been presented a relative "dog", since it wont work for all of us.

Paul does have an unusual and very effective way to secure stock that initially seems........ well lets call it different, and most BA's dont have the capacity or willingness to do same.

ta
    rolf

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Well don't leave us all hanging.....

Whitecat likes this.
  6. Kone

Kone Member

Thanks for your reply @Jacque, that is a good point, good idea checking the membership. However I did talk to a few BAs, some left a good impression but didn't seem to be on the website either. I guess it is not a mandatory process?

7. Kone

Kone Member

Thank you @Rolf Latham , that's very helpful! Now I am also curious as to how he secures his stocks haha!

Propertunity likes this.
  8. WellKnow

WellKnow Well-Known Member

"Santosh Nune
    Santosh was born into one of the top ten business families in India, with the proverbial silver spoon in his mouth"

Hmm a simple google search and nothing comes up on the Nune family in India. Not sure if was in the top 10 business families in India claim is true.

Kone likes this.
  9. Jacque

Hi Kone no it's not however it adds an extra layer of protection given membership criteria. I would be curious to know how long his buyers agency has been around for, however, as I genuinely didn't find him back in 2001 and I did quite detailed research into buyers agencies at the time.

Kone likes this.
  10. Hung

Hung Member

I have personally used Paul Flynn's BA services on more than one occasion. I've been using them for about 2-3 years now. They have found some cracker deals that I've been very happy with.

One amazing skill they have is their negotiation skills. I would hate for them to be buying my house if I was selling, but would happily have them as my BA. Don't take my word for it, just read this one star google review from a pee'd off vendor.

Google Maps

"If there was a no star option i would have reviewed this business just that- zero, zilch. I have never encounted such appalling service whilst helping my mother inlaw sell her home. The constant extentions to make a quick dollar on their behalf was atrocious, taking 3 months to the day of settlement. Continuously asking for reductions in the price even after reducing the price by $15k they had the audacity to ask for ridiculous amounts of money for cleaning & the alike. The property was owner occupied not a rental property. We were just lucky to have had an amazing agent working on our behalf to help us through this terrible ordeal. I am glad to say my mother inlaw's dealings with them are now over."

Why wouldn't you want a hard negotiator on your team to drive the price down for you?

11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’ve heard of Paul Flynn before - maybe search Somersoft Forum

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Kone likes this.
  13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

They source and buy the deals that are great for themselves..
    The real firesale bargain stuff.
    They both will tell you about the size of their portfolios..

Everything else they flick on to their clients.
    This is the crux of it.

Whitecat, Rich2011, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

curiosity killed the chat :)

Im not across the legal details - I leave that to the legal beagles.

The traditional BA model that I see used is we locate a product for our client, short list and present, we negotiate hard, chase an in principle agreement with the seller, we then ask our buyer client if the product is ok, wait for an answer.............. and sometimes thats 30 seconds, sometimes as you'd know its 3 or x days :). yes different Ba's do things differently - thats just my simplified view having worked with a few with me as the intermediary for the finance.

In a distressed sales market especially, the capacity to effectively BUY a property in the name of the BA and move it to a client post purchase allows unconditional offers to be made right there and then. No going back to one's buyer and fluffing around waiting for a decision.

That capacity is not just one of legal process, it also means the BA has to have the financial capacity to complete the purchase if the buyer doesnt complete.

ta
    rolf

Beano and Kone like this.
  15. Jacque

Kone likes this.
  16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

They do have a unique model. A lot of what they source is distressed vendor sales where they do a low or no selling fee and market to the general public and their clients. Think about to be repossessed properties and the like.

Purchaser pays BA fee (I have seen ads on re.com.au were they state purchaser to pay BA fee when sold outside of active clients), vendor gets house sold quickly and has CoS to stop lender taking possession.

It could be seen as taking advantage of people in a vulnerable position, but it depends on your personal views of driving a hard bargain

Simon Hampel and Eric Wu like this.
  17. Kone

Kone Member

Thank you everyone for your feedback and resource. Definitely very helpful in helping me making the decision.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes
    First and last time I would ever use Paul Flynn, he underquoted the project cost for starters

Deals that he presented were not good

MTR

19. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

So an agent lists a property for sale on rea.com.au and states the buyer must pay a BA fee to an independant BA? Which state have you seen this advertised?

20. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Hasn't this been stopped in QLD at least? Buyer XYZ or nominee? Or is the buyer paying an extra fee to change the name on the contract after the contracts have been exchanged if agreed to by the seller?