B & P inspection required for an apartment ?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by NewGuy88, 6th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NewGuy88

NewGuy88 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying an apartment in Brisbane as my my first IP ...

I'm interested in finding out people's views on whether a B & P inspection is required for an apartment?

Or is just a pre-purchase Strata report recommended to check the Body corporate records like the minutes & financial records?

Thanks in advance ...

NewGuy88

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The Y-man likes this.
  3. NewGuy88

Thanks @Propertunity much appreciated, I read that thread previously, just wanted to see if there are more recent opinions on the question ... I'm going with my gut, which is telling me to do a building inspection ...

4. Propertunity

It can't hurt. I'd do it.

NewGuy88 likes this.
  5. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

It is completely your call. Does the strata do a yearly pest inspection as part of its maintenance program. Could already be done for you....

6. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I would, because you just never know what they'll find.

An example where one would likely have helped is from this recent thread, where the person thought they were buying a 3-bedroom apartment but it turned out to be an illegally modified 2-bedroom apartment: Legal issue: bedrooms sold as 3 bedrooms unit nsw.

A building inspector would usually highlight any signs of modification and recommend that you inquire whether such modifications are approved.

NewGuy88 likes this.
  7. NewGuy88

Do you have any recommendations in your network for a reliable & thorough B&P inspector in Brisbane? Thanks in advance

8. Propertunity

No, we're NSW only at this stage. If you look up Brisbane BA's on www.rebaa.com.au I'm sure one of them will be able to help you out with a contact.

9. NewGuy88

Thanks @Propertunity

10. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Bit late to the party but I'll add my experience.

It doesn't hurt, I recently got my first IP and obviously first B&P. It's a good way to break out of the sale of you're not happy with anything "at least in QLD".

The report highlighted some minor and major defects, kitchen tiles need re sealing, skirtings and some cracking in the cornice.

Major was the garage door not opening fully and the balcony railing not to code (BCs problem for the railing)

I would be hesitant to purchase an older building / unit of that wasn't done, again personal preference.