Awesome tennants!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Blueskies, 7th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Often there are threads on here about tennant horror stories, enough to scare people off the idea of ever wanting to be a landlord. I have had some duds in my time but wanted to give some examples of some of the best tennants I have had to point out it isn't always drugs/tribunal/evictions.

Last night I did an inspection of one if my properties. When the tennant moved in I had mowed the lawn and sprayed the weeds and that was about it. Yard was pretty depressing to be honest. 6months later and she has fully landscaped the gardens, flowering plants in the garden beds, made a neat hedge of natives, tropical plants in a shady spot and a neat veggie patch in the corner (now I feel like a b@stard for recharging for water!) Inside immaculate, rent always ahead of due, just makes the whole thing very pleasant.

In the past I have had a tennant who was storing things in the carport that we're getting wet in the rain, asked me if he could put up some sheeting to protect it, no worries I said, next thing he has basically converted it into a fully sealed waterproof garage!

Another time, elderly tenant who liked to have financial certainty, 1year rent in advance!

Anyone else have any examples, There are some gems out there!

Luke T, Xenia, Gockie and 3 others like this.
  2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Just remembered another one I heard about, mining town at the height of the boom, with landlord permission, tennant who installed a pool in rental property at own expense!

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

What an awesome person you described.

1% spoil it for the rest. Most tennants / people do the right and if they didnt LLI would be a lot more expensive.

4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Like with anything in life it is the minority that ruin it for the majority.

There are bad tenants that you hear about but majority of tenants are just normal people and have no issues.

There are bad LL that won't fix anything even if forced to and there are good ones that always keep their property in top shape.

5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I had a tenant that paid 6 months in advance! PM wanted to keep the funds in their trust account and pay me monthly.. cheeky!

6. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

One day I visited the IP and was surprised by fresh painting. I told tenants that I appreciate it but let me know any changes befor they make next time. Who know tenants can turn house to less desired color or remove something we are unaware them.

Phase2 likes this.
  7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Similar. I love the changes my Franga tenant has made but worried he might do too much. At own epense has replaced sleepers in garden, built a deck and cemented nearby and, at my expense for materials only, has put up a hip-roof carport.
    Difficult to put up the rent though it's time I did! Paid in advance and weekly.
    He tells me he wants to stay for 10 years.

Gockie likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It would be a bit awkward to put up the rent if he has increased the value of the property through his own labour - and possibly used his own money too.

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah but I didn't ask him to. In fact, I've had to ask him to stop. The rent is now $50 below market rent and I can't put it up until April anyway. Even then it'll only be $10 or $15.
    Also, there are plenty of things I've done to the property as well. And he has 4 boys and a wife living there too.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Offer them a long-term lease upon renewal, set the increases. Sounds like they want some stability.

It may be in your interests that the agent holds the rent - do you want to front load all of that income in the wrong financial year?

The agent can't claim the commission until it disburses the funds fron the trust account.

The trust accrues no interest for the agent, tenant or you, so there's no benefit to the agent.

What if you spend the rent received and the tenant breaks tge lease? How do you repay it?

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You mean like a 5 year lease with a $10 increase every 6 months for 2 years and $10 each year after that? For example?
    And a split system and polished floor and new garage door?

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are they offering to polish the floor etc?

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

No I have given them a letter via PM instructing them not to do anything else!

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

This is the deck at one of my IP's. Parents and adult son live there. Son is a carpenter so he offered at his expense to install guttering around the deck roof, drain it, and re-varnish. Its not a small deck and he did a great job!

15224395_800x.jpg

Gockie, Blueskies and Phase2 like this.
  15. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It happened in July, so no problem with loading in the wrong FY. I benefit from off-setting against PPOR (about $500). I treat the cash as an asset, and the pre-paid rent as a liability.

16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Well done
    I have about 195 out of 200 properties that are awesome tenants that are absolute gems and improve properties.

Often we take marketing photos once a good tenant has staged a property with their fantastic taste in furniture - with their permission of course.

I've had tenants paint properties, add pergolas, add new blinds, relandscape gardens and do all sorts of improvements.

.... And you are right, we tend to focus on the 2% of tenants that are causing dramas and work for property managers and landlords

Thanks for sharing

Blueskies likes this.
  17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

For me, any increase would have to based on him not having done any work.

18. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We had a landscape gardening couple live in one of our IPs. They eventually moved out, but left the gardens looking amazing. Must have spent a fair bit on trees, shrubs, plants etc. I put the house on the market when they moved out and it sold really quickly. It looked fantastic. Having said that, like Wattle said it was nearly impossible to put the rent up with these guys due to the money they'd spent. I can't eat the extra net worth gained from a fabulous garden, providing cash flow was supposed to be the role of that property. I've now moved the money into a higher yield asset.

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Yes its hard in these situations to put the rent up ! When the rent goes up and the tenant decides they cant afford it and gets offended by the landlords "ungreatfullness"-One gets a vision of a tenant with a chainsaw ripping through the improvements on move out day LOL -Or have i become too cinical these days after managing properties for so long ??!!!

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I must say, the thought has entered my mind. I think he mentioned at one time that all his rent is covered so hopefully that's true.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia