Avoid using Airtasker

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by TMNT, 13th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ive been using airtasker for a while now, and its been ok for small jobs and tasks

the fees were about 22% for the tasker,
    however as of recently, the fees are 20% for the tasker AND theyve introduce a fee plus 10% for the poster (max $20, if Im not wrong)

so now sub $200 jobs are now 30% in fees,

however, what is pi$sing me off, is the amount of members just posting comments to stroke their ego or just annoy you,

i get so many " oh I wouldnt get out of bed for less than $80 per hour type of comments"
    and so many of them demand 22% on top of the price agreed OR their offer is what they feel they are worth PLUS 22%,

so their rates just become ridiculous

I think i will probably stop using airtasker unless im desperate

Latest offer: "Hi, I would love to do your change smoke alarm job, my call out fee is $88, Minimum charge 2 hours, you provide the smoke alarm+ 22% airtasker fee+GST"

so to change a smoke that I provide is going to cost me $354,

I told him that my PM would probably arrange his tradie to do it for $100 plus parts,

and next minute, he is wanting my PMs number to abuse him about not letting PMs rip off tradies and how he wont get out of bed for $90 per hour and he deserves more for his 4 years at TAFE, bla bla bla

broc119, gman65 and TheRayTracer like this.
  2. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

Use professional trades and stop wasting your time with sites like airtasker.

Trying to get things done cheap, often costs you more in time. Also do they warranty their work? Do they have public liability insurance? Are they going to be around 6 months from now if you have a problem with their work? Just opening yourself up for a whole world of potential problems.

My partner charges double if he has to go and fix a job someone tried to do “for cheap” first - you wouldn’t believe how many people try to do their own electrical or get an airtasker to have a go!

keenas, jimmy, Shazi and 6 others like this.
  3. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

For a licensed electrician minimum 2 hour charge is fair and 80 to 90 an hour is also fair. You can't drive around to people's houses all day for a half an hour job and only charge half and hour. You would go broke.

The problem is airtasker I wouldn't be looking for licensed trades on here.

Curious2019 and The Falcon like this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I understand the Americans have a term "Nickel and diming" for trying to do things on the cheap which ends up costing more.

Probably a true description given one person I know. I've found the outcome of his attempts bemusing.

broc119, Shazi and Curious2019 like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

its no wonder, tradies get a bad name

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This is absolute BS......it depends on what trade. Things like plumbing and electricals require a license. Having said that some trades are just too expensive and in the end they get no work. It is about value for money...not the cheapest.

7. Curious2019

Haha well if a professional tradie has to warranty the work and be covered by public liability insurance than I see no problem with this. The other alternative is that he just doesn’t do the job if it’s too high risk.

Joynz and jimmy like this.
  8. Curious2019

I don’t know any good tradies that don’t get work because they are too expensive. High demand usually dictates the price and once a trade gets known for doing something particularly well they have no problem charging accordingly.

it’s the cheap tradies that I worry about. I don’t understand how any professional trade could charge less than $50 per hour and make a profit after insurance costs, fuel, equipment etc. Likely they cut costs somewhere, their quality is crap and they aren’t insured properly.

For good sparkies and plumbers expect to pay a minimum of $75 an hour plus. We charge more but our customers are prepared to pay it for the service they get.

From a business owner perspective we qualify all our customers first to make sure they are aware of our prices first. Too many time wasters otherwise and saves us having issues once they get our bill.

Shazi and Stoffo like this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I pay plumbers and electricians the going rate....which is typically 75-85 / hour. Any more and you have to be a mug. Too many tradies are gouging......

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I find a lot of the Airtaskers who can do things handymen do don't really charge much less than the real article. The premise of Airtasker was for regular's Joe's who were good at doing abc to take up a side hustle (and charge mates rates).

Unfortunately it's morphed into a site where tradies lurk...like Service Seeking.

Luke T, Dan Wood and TMNT like this.
  11. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Another tradie bashing post.
    My brother was a paralegal while doing his law degree His law firm charged him out at $120 which increased to $160 per hour towards the end of his degree. Let’s be clear that’s for a unqualified 21 year old. Lawyers were between $300-600+ .
    Same across all professional services.

Do you not think tradies deserve to make decent money ? Or is that only an entitlement for university educated workers?

jimmy, Craig B, broc119 and 2 others like this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yep, im not looking for people to build the taj mahal,

for example, my last couple of jobs have been
    - install a smoke alarm
    - remove some rubbish
    - cut down branches
    - Install a sink
    - patch a few holes,

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

and the number of tradies that complain about how much they should be worth and how theyre not going to get out of bed for $X, seem to have the time to complain and go back and forth about trivial things, and still dont even turn up to a job

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I won't say that the type of people who are members here are short cutting

But I am a gardener and I often have to drive around all day for 30min here and 50min there......
    Then I am expected to be a thesaurus on every new hybrid plant that someone has bought from a nursery, and have a $20M public liability insurance policy o_O

Plumber, sure people pay :)
    Electrician, sure people pay :)
    Horticulturalist, how much for a gardner :eek:

Yes just like the other trades, anyone can do it, but it is doing it properly the first time that matters :cool:

broc119, KateSydney and Curious2019 like this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...give them the flick if they are not responding...

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

It seems that many tradies dont seem to understand (ignorance or arrogance) that if you are looking for full priced, youd just contaxt them directly either via an agent or yellowpages equivalent or google

Funny how a $150 simple job done via a rea, they think that you are going to accept, $160 plus their 22% fee plus airtaskers 10% fee to bring it up to almost 40% dearer,
    How they get jobs normally i have no idea

17. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I tried to use Airtasker a couple of months ago. I cancelled the account when Airtasker asked me to provide my credit card details.

18. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Ok. Never used them. Probably will continue never to do so.

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

just got a quote from my agency tradie electrican,

$140 for pickup of electric upright oven from harvey norman,
    install and dispose of old one

Airtaskers all wanted $200-$250+$20 poster fee

no thanks entitled tradies, stay in bed

20. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

In my experience with AT you just have to wait for the right fair offer . They usually come . It is second to none for unqualified type jobs

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia