Avocado Generation cant afford houses

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 24th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

An article from my Real Estate earlier this week

Earlier this week baby boomer columnist Bernard Salt pointed out in an article for The Australian that many young people appear to be eating brunch in the same immodestly-priced venues as middle-aged people with families.

Salt also pointed out that many millennials also seem to be struggling to save for home deposits, and put two and two together.

“I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more,” he wrote.

“I can afford to eat this for lunch because I am middle-aged and have raised my family. But how can young people afford to eat like this? Shouldn’t they be economising by eating at home? How often are they eating out? Twenty-two dollars several times a week could go towards a deposit on a house.”

The good news is a number of cafes have now discounted the avocado on toadt in the wake of Salt’s comments – so until the prices go up again millennials may be able to sneak in a few more smashed avos on sourdough.

Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

legallyblonde likes this.