Average Share Portfolio Size

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MTR, 13th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i am glad you can laugh , that would be SO TRUE with my blood relatives , but luckily they live in NZ ( well the last i heard they did )

i must be one of the few that hope our borders to NZ will stay closed forever while this virus panic lingers .

good luck

2. twisted strategies

it does if you can put a big enough solar array on it or twin arrays ( one for you and one for the power grid )

you will probably have to crunch some numbers and sweet-talk some deals though

DYOR

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Marked to market our total assets, post tax are at 52x annual net full time working income.

All in stocks (ETFs and managed funds), Private Equity, cash and bonds. Some international REIT in the mix. Nil other property with exception of PPOR which is not included in this figure. Nil debt.

Would like to be at 100x in 12 years.

4. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

How are you doing with the reduced work days? Do you think you will keep doing part time for a few more years and longer?

twisted strategies likes this.
  5. The Falcon

Good question Anne. To be honest I haven’t gotten used to it yet...some days are good, others I want to just quit! I’m still invested in the company though so will see it through. I think I really need to get myself back into balance - that means really getting into exercise and eating a lot better in the coming months and see how I go.

Anne11 and twisted strategies like this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

72% Property equity (inc ppor)
    10% Unlisted comm prop trusts
    18% ASX listed entities

~30x household combined pre-tax income

The Y-man

Codie, spoon, Mulianto and 3 others like this.
  7. twisted strategies

sound fine unless it is achieved by a lower annual income , from your job

was almost temped into international REITs and then the virus fears hit and made me wonder how those international REITs would cope .

sounds like you should do nicely even if your miss your goal

cheers and good luck

The Falcon likes this.
  8. The Falcon

Ha. No. Full time post tax income. A healthy number.

twisted strategies likes this.
  9. twisted strategies

i see some crazy concepts coming , good luck

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My goal is somewhere around $2M-3M in shares, no finance.

I am living off rents atm, this is giving us a decent lifestyle, but the shares/income would be icing on the cake

Also I think its great to have goals, and aim high, but if its not achievable or realistic it will crush the psyche and then it becomes hopeless situation. Not at all helpful

So I am keeping it real for myself

11. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Looks like I’m late to the party. But can anyone share the link please? Thanks!

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last post by @dunno

Ynot and Observer like this.
  13. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Well done. That's going to keep you in a good supply of Kalleske. May I ask what your bond, cash, fixed interest is as a percentage of portfolio and if you are fixing it or using bond tent type scenario for retirement. Obviously at 52x ft work income history says 100% equities will pretty much last forever.

14. The Falcon

Ok. Not straightforward to answer. We have 3 listed portfolios ; SMSF / Trust / Company that run 90/10, 80/20, 80/20 respectively. We also have a large PE co-investment, a small direct investment, and shares in an unlisted investment company and cash. So there is a bit going on there. Once the large PE co-investment is realised,likely in 12-18 months I expect at current valuations we will be at 60-65x (?) post tax FT salary and settle into something that is close to 85/15 across all investments. Of that, 1/4 will be cash and TDs, the rest global bond index. Of course the house upgrade pressure really ramps up at that time, so will be a bit of a sell down no doubt.

You are correct in that many people would be 95/5 (almost nobody is ever 100/0 especially if holding LICs) but I’m happy at that level for SANF and optionality.

Last edited: 7th May, 2021
    Zenith Chaos and Big A like this.
  15. The Falcon

@Zenith Chaos , back of the envelope below is probably
    where we settle approx across all portfolios combined, give or take a few percent here or there in another couple of years time, post PE co-investment ;

(15%) Cash and Bonds
    Cash / TDs 3%
    Int’l bonds 12%

(40%) AU
    ASX300 28%
    ASX Small / Microcap 7%
    Unlisted direct investments 5%

(45%) Int’l
    Int’l large 18%
    Int’l value 7%
    Int’l REIT 7%
    Int’l Small 7%
    Emerging markets 6%

Around 67% AUD or Hedged. Nil leverage. Aim is to be around 1/5 of @dunno ‘s current portfolio by my 50th after “wasting” $2m or so on a home upgrade. I’ll be more than happy with that as a basic plodder.

16. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Is this "direct investment" or in managed funds?

17. The Falcon

Direct investment in holdco alongside PE.

Last edited: 7th May, 2021
  18. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

My ears are burning.

@MTR
    Average share portfolio size is absolutely useless information. Percentage of exposure may be more relevant but not much. Apart from private use property and tiny private business exposure I’m 99% equities, 1% cash simply for transaction liquidity otherwise I would be 100%. My equity allocation is poor risk exposure but I accept it as I don’t have enough knowledge to allocate differently with any conviction.

Not a good reason to take anybody's posts to seriously. Posts either stand on their content/argument or they don’t. A poster's worth has zero bearing to me. Some people starting out are simply brilliant, driven and inspired. Others with positive results misconstrue good outcome for good process and dribble ****. My portfolio balance was relevant to a certain post and where I was at the time. Most other times its irrelevant, If the content doesn’t hold merit in a readers considered view of their own situation than they should rightfully dismiss it.

No leverage – there is enough risk available in equities markets to not need additional leverage.

Absolutely spot on. The games are very different.

I try not to talk about direct shares. Big picture, I took a lot of concentrated risk and I got a positive outcome, I’m now trying to maintain that result via much more sensible risk exposure. In hindsight I think I would have been better to build a passive foundation first and then take outsized risks if I still wanted more with money I didn’t care about. Maybe a slower approach but a surer process and life is a journey not an endpoint anyway.

As karma to thank the gods for the free time I now have and that they didn’t call me on my risk taking, I try to post a few things that hopefully may help but more importantly won’t do too much harm, that rules out talking about direct shares IMO.

Zenith Chaos, MTR, number 5 and 11 others like this.
  19. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Where can I read about this person with $77 million in shares? I find it hard to believe someone worth $77 million would bother posting on this forum.

20. The Falcon

There is no story thread. I think it was 77m Yen anyway.

Greedo, number 5, mdk and 8 others like this.