Average Savings in Australia

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by Samuel, 27th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samuel

Samuel Member

This caught my attention an thought to share to get an opinion from you guys. So I was doing research on the average salary Australians make which is roughly $80k. So then i decided to search how much the average Australian saves as we all know a lot of people struggle saving for a house deposit. Turns out, in 2015 the younger generation 25 - 34 year olds were putting the most into savings of $533 a month or $6396 per year, which was over $100 more a month than the national average. 27% have more the $50k, 24% have between $10k and $50k, and 49% have less the $10k.
    What do you guys think about these figures?

Redwing and 2FAST4U like this.
  2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Beat's me what I think.
    All I know I always saved minimum 15% of any net income I received throughout my lifetime and then invested it. It helped!
    $6,396 of $80K represents 7.995% so around 8%, which would be less than compulsory Super contribution (9.5% currently) so IMHO, it is not enough.
    So poor saving figures IMO!

Redwing, 2FAST4U and Samuel like this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Who gives a Rats about the word Average? It is a social construct, usually nothing like reality. Show me an average Australian.

MTR and Samuel like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Savings, my friend, is above and beyond Super contributions. Two different things.
    Good on them, it's far better than being those who refuse to save anything.

2FAST4U, craigc and Samuel like this.
  5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Saving is one thing and investing another...or taking some form of action to make your life better.

6. CRT

CRT Member

Redwing likes this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The big spenders aside, the amount you can save is inextricably linked with how much you earn. All good to say you save 20/30% but if you're earning $40K....

Joynz, HUGH72, Angel and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Apparently 80% of Americans don't even have $500 in the bank!

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I was at the tyre shop yesterday, they we're selling a 6th set of mag wheels and tyre's for the day (totaling $7,500).
    The young guy making the latest purchase obtained the $1,200 of funds from drawing down on his superanuation :confused:
    Doesn't matter how hard I try, there's always a few dragging the majority average down :(
    *same can be said about Gina and James raising the average income I guess :rolleyes:

Pingu1988 and vbplease like this.
  10. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

A gross income of $80,000 is just $60,853 after taxes.

A savings rate of $6,396 represents 10.51% of that net figure. That's a reasonable savings rate as combined with Super it's ~20% of income (or ~17.5% of gross income).

Obviously our capacity to save rises with disposable income so comparing averages is a flawed concept. Using age group medians is far more indicative.

Pingu1988 and Joynz like this.
  11. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

The average Australian family was found two suburbs away from where I am when the Census was done many few years ago.

I was disappointed they had a round number of kids. Thought the media had finally found the mythical 0.3 of the 2.3 that is oft quoted.

Angel likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

CRT likes this.
  13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think that while interesting on the face of it, averages don't really tell you that much. In the US for example, 8 individuals would change those averages more than 50% of the population (I know it's not as extreme here, but I wanted to highlight my point).
    Means would be a much better measure in my opinion.

14. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

The mean is the average.... by definition.

Perhaps you "mean" the median.....

qak likes this.
  15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Yep
    images (9).jpeg

Biggbird and Indifference like this.
  16. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Personal experience says the ability to save decreases as you get older. Higher income but more family responsibilities.

sqe likes this.
  17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Sorry but I cannot scientifically accept anything more or less than 0.3 of a kid.
    (sarcasm intended)

marty998 likes this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I'm presuming things are worse now with CV-19 shutdowns

Dec 16, 2019

Survey: 69% of Americans Have Less Than $1,000 in Savings

Since 2014, GOBankingRates has polled Americans to find out how much they have in a savings account. This year, GOBankingRates asked adults from across the U.S. six questions to learn about their savings habits and what obstacles are keeping them from saving more. The results show that, compared with previous year’s findings, there’s a growing percentage of people with little to no savings. In 2019, 69% of respondents said they have less than $1,000 in a savings account compared with 58% in 2018.

17 February 2020

Why more than a QUARTER of Australians have less than $1,000 in the bank

An ME Bank study found the vast majority of people would struggle to handle a financial emergency.

The situation was so bad 26 per cent of respondents admitted they had less than $1,000 in the bank while 13 per cent of people had less than $100 in savings.

ME Bank consulting economist Jeff Oughton said many workers were desperately seeking more hours so they could pay their bills, with wages continuing to grow at below-average levels for the seventh year running.

Cousinit likes this.
  19. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

WOW, less than a quarter with $1000.
    No resilience there!

HUGH72 and kierank like this.
  20. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

More than a ¼ of Aussies with less than 1k savings doesn't surprise me at all.
    When vast swathes of the population live like there is no tomorrow in terms of spending with little to no fiscal responsibility it's inevitable.

Personally, even if your salary is only 40k, I believe it's important to save a percentage of it as it's not just about money. It helps to teach responsibility and understanding the difference between wants and needs. Once you understand that fundamental difference, you can then resist impulsive spending habits.

marty998, HUGH72, ALT and 2 others like this.