Average cost for mould removal?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by chetime, 11th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chetime

chetime Member

My investment property has been reported to have mould and I got a quote from a company to treat it.

Their services include removing surface/visible mould, fogging the entire property to remove all species of airborne mould, bacteria and chemical VOCs.

There is visible mould in 3 bedrooms & the ensuite. Looks like it is due to elevated humidity levels (ranging between 60-70%).

Quote comes to $825 (incl GST).

Does this sound about right? I'm not looking to do multiple quotes because I don't want to delay treatment of mould (so long as it's a superbly rip-off price I'd like to go ahead). But also keen to understand what is the normal price for this?

Thanks!

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have you considered how to prevent it in future?

chetime likes this.
  3. chetime

chetime Member

Good question. In their report they also recommended:
    • A 10L portable dehumidifier (for $605)
    • Running the exhaust fan for extended periods after showering
    Do you think that would be enough?

I wasn't planning on getting the dehumidifer from them because it seems extremely expensive because they go for a lot cheaper?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We paid around $300 to have ceilings in one large room and a bedroom cleared of very light sprinkling of mould (might have been two bedrooms?). It was hardly noticeable in photos, but was definitely there. We used Mould Men and were very impressed with their service and pricing (no affiliation).

They suggested clearing the gutters (neighbours trees too close, nothing we can do but clear gutters regularly).

Perhaps you should get an electrician in to connect the bathroom light and fan and have the fan run 20 minutes after the shower. Obviously that will only happen if the use the light, and at night, I guess if they turn the light off, the fan will stop).

We've done that in the past but when we rewired two houses recently, we didn't wire them together. If we get mould issues that will be what we do.

chetime likes this.
  5. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Single storey 3 bedroom home : $750 (Plus GST)
    Single storey 4 bedroom home : $1000 (Plus GST)
    Double storey : $ 1500 (Plus GST) as a second (GITA) Gas Infused Technical Apparatus commonly referred to as Foggers is required along with a second lot of chemicals.
    An annual fog out after initial mould removal : $250.;)

Stoffo and chetime like this.
  6. chetime

chetime Member

Thanks all! Sounds like it is a reasonable price then since its 3 bedrooms (most of them windows & surrounds, 1 of them includes the wardrobe) + the ensuite bathrooms.

TAJ likes this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

At my place I had the lights and fan connected with a run on timer which carries on for 10 minutes once the lights switched off.

TAJ, Westminster and wylie like this.
  8. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Surely the tag for @datto here is the obvious one!

Seriously though - was there any evidence of unusual ‘tomatoes’ being grown in the wardrobe? Seems to me a very unusual location for mould?

datto likes this.
  9. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen $10k + for serious mould remediation :(

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I used supermarket grade mould remover (cost $6) in my PPOR (main bedroom ceilings and part of walls). Yeah, I let it build up due to being a bit lazy. Anyway I don't use the bedroom much as I mainly sleep on the lounge or the recliner. So I don't think the mould affected my lungs.

Did a magic job that mould remover. Here's a tip, spray the mould remover on the surface, wait 10 minutes and then wash it off using a mop. A mop gives you more leverage so it cleans better. Especially when doing the ceiling.

To prevent mould returning, keep a window open and I use those water absorbing crystals you get from Bunnings. My bedroom has been mould free for several years now.

Stoffo likes this.
  11. noneother

noneother Well-Known Member

$1k for a 4 bedrooms