VIC Avalon International Airport? - Another Tick for Geelong

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sash, 1st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Not firmed up...but I knew about this about a year ago..now it looks to be making progress to taking flights within 18 months...wow

Category: | Herald Sun

Another tick for Geelong.....

Tranquilo, Bigwill and mickyyyy like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Danny370z and Beelzebub like this.
  3. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Step ahead of you Sash, i made a post on the Geelong thread but indeed i think this deserves one of it's own. Who knows....the hubbub in Sydney about the second airport, i think b y contrast most Geelong-ites and probably many in Werribee will welcome this. Avalon is a nice distance from any housing, so it should be an easy call for the few nearby residents. And it may open up many more routes to come in the future.

With the demise of the traditional industries such as Ford and Alcoa, this news along with the arrival of government departments in recent years can frank Geelong's place as a desirable (and relatively affordable) place to live and invest. It's good news for taxi drivers too....although it's been over six years since i was one.

Toon and EN710 like this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes saw that...

I heard this about a year ago...I thought it would take at least 5 years..who would have thought it is around the corner.

There is also talk about port facilities on Geelong......I also know that people are looking at converting the skills used for cars to military hardware manufacturing...so that should get interesting...

The fact that the Victorian govt got this out quick...is credit to to...Sydney....is still about 8 years off..and it will resemble something like what Avalon will be on 8 years.... ;) ...I got hand it to the Victorians ...they are more practical than the clowns we have here.....very smart thunkin'

More importantly....existing rail infrastructure exists via the line to Geelong ...a little diversion with a little spend they will have the rail which can get people from and to Avalon from Geelong and Melbourne. Now that would ******* all over Eastern Creek....

EN710, Toon and Dave3214 like this.
  5. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Hey @sash

I think we discussed in mid 2016.

The suburbs nearby are too hot. The nearby purchase at 380k was valued verbally by an agent at 500k.

Decent growth in last 2.5 years. It has become too difficult to source a property there now. Searching something decent for a friend but getting something is too difficult now. :)

6. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

But does it compete with it's symmetrical Eastern brother Pakenham?

9/2 The Entrance Pakenham Vic 3810 - House for Sale #127464574 - realestate.com.au

Geelong is superior to Pakenham in every single way. It's closer to the city, has a beach, uni's and can boast having things in general (unlike Pakenham). If you can still get units on blocks >163sqm for <540k I'd say you'll be doing better than some people. Who for some reason are currently buying in Pakenham.

MikeyBallarat, Toon and Dave3214 like this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I own one in Officer i agree but the market in Pakenhan is very strong i bought mine for 320k h&l now over 550k

8. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

All this action is making me want to invest in another property in Geelong.

How exciting.

Dave3214 likes this.
  9. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

International flights from where? Hobart is also reintroducing international flights from April this year from Asia

10. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

I remember reading a while back once the upgrade was made to accommodate international flights, there would also be a DFO style shopping area going into Avalon...

Dave3214 likes this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes that is correct.

I was over that way (Wydham Vale, Werribee, Lara)...if those flights go in there it is going to push prices in Werribee and Wyndham Vale even more. From Werribee it is only 20 min to the Avalon...instread of 50min-1 hr to Tullamarine.

The people I saw buying the house on thoses areas were mostly South Asian and South East Asian. Air Asia has done their research well they fly to a lot of Indain cities and through out South East Asia.

The prices on 500-700sqm blocks are now 320-380k in Wyndham Vale ....I even went to see some open homes...small 4x2x2 houses on 450sqm blocks ...people wanting 520-570k...85% of the people walking in were of Indian background.

Also...the Victoria govt has got a head start on Eastern Creek they are now landing International flights with minimum cost. It could even take some of the commercial business away from Eastern Creek.

Chill2205, JacM and Dave3214 like this.
  12. Bigwill

Bigwill Member

This is one of the reasons why I’m leaning towards H&l in Corio

Dave3214 likes this.
  13. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Why not H&L in Lara?

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

AirAsia is going to be flying flights to Avalon instead of Tullamarine. The only budget airline that connects majority of Asia talking India Vietnam China Thailand Singapore etc. not the greatest airline but it brings in a lot

mickyyyy likes this.
  15. Bigwill

Bigwill Member

Corio cause of the estate is right off the m1 unlike Lara you have to travel in a bit

16. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

But rent in Lara is higher. Demographic is also better.

Bigwill likes this.