Authority to arrange emergency repair in vic

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by LynnAu, 6th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LynnAu

LynnAu New Member

My PM didn't call my nominated plumber and called their preferred plumber for a blockage issue during a holiday - who didn't clear up the blockage and charged me more than twice as much as my nominated trade who I had to call afterwards.

Was frustrated to ask them to negotiate a discount with their trade as they also charged $70 for machine hire?? For a not successful job. ( which plumber does not own this type of machine) and spent hours not able to locate the root issue properly which my trade did it in less than 15 mins.

Anyway, long story short I want to change the authorized amount to $0 and they said I can't for the emergence ones as this is regulation that the tenant can spend up to $1800 for emergency repairs.

I want to know if this is the case in Vic?

Secondly if I want, can I ask them to contact my nominated trade say An emergency repair occurres during midnight? ( I asked them to contact me for all repair - they said impossible as the emergency contact persons won't have my details? )

What is the good PM's practice on this? I am just afraid that they would use any crap company again in an emergency and I paid hundreds $ again for nothing.

Thanks.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes, in Vic unauthorised emergency repairs are allowed by law up to a certain amount.

Were the tenants able to use the sink or toilet or whatever was blocked after the first plumber came?

If the blockage wasn't fixed, then you could refuse to pay. Though it sounds like it was a few weeks ago now, so maybe too late...

Does your plumber operate after hours?

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I doubt the PM was contactable during the holiday, when the issue occurred.

When signing up with PM I detailed my preferred tradies incl emergency.
    When I read through the tenants lease it has the PM's preferred tradies, who I know charge a premium and use contractors, guess its a generic print out they provide tenants, which if the tenant reads it they will contact those tradies during an emergency when they can't get hold of the PM.