Australia's population growth is slowing. This could impact the property cycle

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Beelzebub, 12th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I don't mind population growth as long as it doesn't adversely impact Australia's current standards of living. In some states of Australia there was a water shortage a few years ago so water restrictions were imposed. Yet the Government kept Australia's skilled migration and importing hundreds of thousands of migrants so what's the point of saving water!?

Doncossack likes this.
  2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I didn't say you were racist.

I said the only two reasons I could come up with were racial reasons or selfish reasons.

You seem to agree with the selfish reasons.

Environment has to do with world population figures not Australian population figures. Saying that Australia can comfortably take more people from around the world. Doesn't mean their country of origin can take more growth or that global growth is good for the environment.

3. Brickbybrick

Brickbybrick Well-Known Member

That doesn't make it right by ANY measure. Think of the crap quality of life, just for starters.

I recently enjoyed a very pleasant holiday in Tasmania. A large (no pun intended) reason for this was due to what Hobart and Tasmania is not, i.e. Sydney where I have lived my entire life, and a place that has noticibly changed for the worse on almost every level in the past few years.

Just because we technically can doesn't mean we should. If the majority of the result of the world decided a long time ago to breed like rabbits then why should we make it our problem? Once it gets out of control.....

We should be setting an example by keeping our neck of the woods sorted.

I am born in Australia from parents of non English speaking background so have no issue with diversity, but I sure as hell don't ever want our dominant culture and values, and way of life (whilst not perfect is a heck of a lot better than just about anywhere else) to be threatened by large intakes of people from "challenging" cultures, or for us to pander to them.

Otherwise we are creating a long term ticking time bomb on many levels.

Last edited: 14th May, 2016
    Doncossack likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, those poor Taiwanese people would catch their death of cold.

5. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

If the people that held your values (and their were plenty) had their way, you wouldn't have the privelidge of calling yourself Australian now.

6. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

What you came up with is a false dichotomy (related to the black and white thinking logical fallacy). Obviously there are numerous other justifications besides the two you mentioned. I would think bringing more people just to sustain real estate prices or as an easy way for big business to improve their bottom line is more in the selfish category in any case.

The environmental problems, like pollution, land clearing would be certainly at the local (Australian) level. Only something like global warming would fit your description.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

As I said the only two "I" could come up with.

I also never said we should bring in people just to sustain real estate (though I will admit selfishly this would be good for me on many levels).

Land clearing and pollution effect the whole world not just local level. I'm no scientist but I'm pretty sure that the oxygen and sea water in Australia Is not isolated to Australia.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Can we please build a few more irrigation schemes up north to make good use of all that rainwater that otherwise flows out to sea every Summer. I expect we can take a couple of (hundred) shiploads of refugees out of their overcrowded camps. We know that Australia was built in the past by shiploads of people coming here from other places, who have been grateful to be here and who work hard and don't demand to be treated like china dolls. How can we afford, as a nation, not to be harnessing water? Don't tell me that their wages would be too high - I am talking refugees, the poorest of the poor who wont demand penalty rates every other day. Not those princesses who needed $150K a year each to build the LNG refineries. I'm talking about genuine refugees who are waiting their turn in SE Asia, not queue-jumping asylum seekers who pay people smugglers.

9. Brickbybrick

That may well be the case, depending on what exact value(s) you assume I am referring to. But the pace of change in many areas (social, economic, demographic, environmental etc) is accelerating, and we have to be in a position to be able to control and manage it whilst we still have the chance.

10. Brickbybrick

Ha. :p But the Taiwanese equivalent of Gerry Harvey Westfields and Wesfarmers would win, and that is all that matters. :confused:

11. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

The anti immigration ones. Thought that was pretty self explanatory...

I find it ironic when immigrants or children of immigrants are anti immigration.

Do Androids Dream and MTR like this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm not anti immigration, I'm anti whinger and anti bludger.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  13. emza

emza Well-Known Member

So this kind of racist tripe is okay on this forum?

14. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

With you 100%

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good lord.
    Can you give us some feigned outrage for good measure?

Perthguy likes this.
  16. emza

emza Well-Known Member

Maybe you should read the post I'm responding to and decide whether you want to see that sort of tripe here.

Propertychat.com.au: where people advocate using underpaid refugees to work slave labour jobs and no one says anything about it!

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Or people can think what they want. Who cares.

18. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Man wants to let in refugees, points out they are hard working and don't ask for much. This man must be racist.

Cactus likes this.
  19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I think you need to re read Angel's post.

Cactus likes this.
  20. Brickbybrick

No it is not self explanatory. Unless you are Koori, we are all immigrants....

When you (or your kids) have to give up your lovely 1/4 acre block to live in at best a duplex or at worse a high rise apartment in a future that you desire that will no doubt be coming to your neighbourhood , come back and tell how good that worked out for you. :rolleyes:

Doncossack likes this.