QLD Australia's Largest coal mine 22 Billion construction about to start

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Elives, 6th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Deepsquat

Deepsquat Member

Is there any mention yet if Rocky is definately to be a FIFO hub?

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Not even surveyors on site yet.
    Reckon details for the actual working of the mine are quite a few years off.
    Marg

Deepsquat likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Adani coal mine back on track after royalties agreement

It's an interesting one, the mine is massive and will be a working mine for many many years (60 to be exact). It makes me wonder if places like Hervey Bay and Maryborough (both have airports) will become popular residences for FIFO miners.

Toon and Kevvy7 like this.
  4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Perhaps.. No doubt places like McKay etc will be beneficiaries.. But so will Brisbane- most of the mining services eg engineering, design, project mgt are in Brisbane proper eg arup, aurecon, Jacobs engineering etc..
    This mine will go ahead. Both sides of politics really want this to proceed. The jobs and money to be had are too large for anyone (except greens/tree huggers) to not want. I'd think you want to cash in on the money generated by the larger professional services rather than FIFO as a result of this mine. More stable and higher $ as well.

Blueskies, Dan Donoghue and Phase2 like this.
  5. Marg4000

Then again, Jackie Trad has the Greens breathing down her neck in her electorate.........
    Marg

6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Unlikely I'd say. Adani have already nominated Townsville as their remote operations centre, so Townsville will be on the list, and I'd guess at Mackay and Brisbane also being permanent FIFO hubs during operation. Rocky might make it for construction, but I doubt there'd be many others given the considerable infrastructure and labour resources available in Townsv., Mackay and Bris.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  7. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Great for Qld! Gold Coast also likely to be a FIFO location.

8. Marg4000

Any upturn has to be good news. And people do not necessarily have to live in the FIFO designated hub city or cities. That is simply where the mine flights go from.

Friend's son works in the WA mines, FIFO Perth. But he then flies privately to and from his home just north of Brisbane.
    Marg

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If Adani gets up, maybe his commute might be a little shorter ;)

10. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

This is excellent news for the entire of QLD not only Brisbane. A project this large will have huge economic benefits for the state.

11. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

This mine will go down in history as one of Australia's biggest lemons. So much corruption going on with this project. It's disgraceful. It really shows politics and Australia for what it is - controlled by large companies with no regard for its people's respects.

You really need to ask yourself why financially no-one wants to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

12. eletronic_exp0430

I'll be completely honest with you I'm not across the intricate details. Care to share the information that has allowed you to come to this conclusion? What is so bad about it?

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Removal/watering down of environmental protection requirements
    • Govt funding an essentially private railway
    • Interest free govt loans
    • Reduction in royalties
    And that's without a sod of soil being turned.

Jaggannath and Kev-wa like this.
  14. eletronic_exp0430

^ Fair enough but are those issues enough to warrant the economical benefits that it will provide. Obviously the government thinks the upside in economic growth, jobs and other revenues will far outweigh the impacts mentioned above.

For instance if it costs 300m to build the railway but the returns into the QLD economy is forecast to be in the billions well that kind of makes sense. You need to spend to make money. Cant always have the cake and eat it too as they say.

I'm sure the financial planners in the government are very astute at what they do. They would have modeled and analysed this business venture with a fine comb before committing to anything to ensure the benefits outweigh the negatives.

15. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

financial planners/analysts do what their masters tell them. ie develop an analysis that tells us that this is a good thing.

16. Elvis1

Elvis1 Well-Known Member

I would like know which town will benefit from the port expansion and railway ?
    NO one has mentioned bowen .

17. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

I'd say if this project go's ahead and thats highly highly doubtful. It will create no new Net jobs.

Government will be subsidising them at the expense of the rest of the industry and other mines. Highly questionable move.

18. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Railway is from Carmichael/Alpha to Bowen.. It will be built using temporary accommodation for construction workers at fixed points along the rail route. No towns will gain any real benefit from construction.

Port is 25km North of Bowen, it might give a little boost to Bowen, but construction workforce will also likely be FIFO, and housed in camp-style accommodation. Net benefit to Bowen will be negligible once operations commence.

19. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Surely a person with the right skills who lives in Bowen would be preferenced over someone from Brisbane?
    From everything ive seen Townsville stands to be the biggest winner in terms of jobs and FIFO requirements

20. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Probably because its a bad look to be financing coal
    Im not sure Adani ever approached any of the compaies who stated they woildnt finance it anyway

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia