Australia's 2022 federal election. Predictions on winners and reasons why

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Which is why this post:
    Australia's 2022 federal election. Predictions on winners and reasons why

Came to to light: stating the number 3.9% to show the libs did some magic and the unemployment rate is low (plus claiming it's the lowest in like 5,000 years - that was their claim, not yours), is just smoke and mirrors.

The post above shows that a two success measured based on the environment, not just pure numbers.

Sure, 3.9% is lower than 5.4%.
    But 0.8% below average is not that impressive as 3.3% below average.

It's the perspective that is missing.

Not to mention, again, that 1 hour in 2 week work consider "work".
    The real unemployment is estimate to closer to 9%....

Coxy89, Lizzie and SatayKing like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Also, it may assist in understanding the purpose of the unemployment statistics. Historically it is for employers (not employees) to indicate availability.

"The unemployment rate is the most commonly used indicator for understanding conditions in the labour market. The labour market is the term used by economists when talking about the supply of labour (from households) and demand for labour (by businesses and other organisations). The unemployment rate can also provide insights into how the economy is performing more generally, making it an important factor in thinking about monetary policy."

Unemployment: Its Measurement and Types | Explainer | Education

3. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Worth to also remember that Australia is missing 300,000 - 400,000 working hands due to no skilled migration during the last 2.5 years.
    Those are permanent working hands, even before we count the shortage of temp and seasonal workers.

Not really a government doing, but a set of circumstances that created a huge shortage in the market for.... Well.... Any area basically.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

ollidrac nosaj and Lizzie like this.
  5. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Post election, it was one of my favourite pastime to jump on Sky and watch a bit.
    The sour faces and endless whinge is priceless.

They are sitting there and watching the gravy train goes into the sunset.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  6. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I watched a YouTube clip with the presenter making multiple references to 'sheilas'. And they wonder why women have deserted their cause.

7. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    underemployment. unemployment. what's three letters when trying to manipulate an argument with statistics ? With the number of people now in the gig economy at more than 1 hour per week, its frankly atrocious the rate isn't 0.9%. These sorts of roles barely existed just a few years ago ... there is no way these roles existed in these volumes in 2010.... and that's perhaps why 3.3% below the average and 6th vs the average compares well with 0.8% below the average and 17th vs the average... The number itself may be low but so is everyone's. It isn't particularly special if a lower number still sees you sliding from 6th to 17th is the point. It screams bare minimum, and it means it's delivering a lot of underemployed people the bare minimum.
    These past 48 hours have seen all kinds of conniptions from all kinds of people . Entertaining as its been watching the Rowan Deans and Paul Murrays and Peta Credlins of the world , how about everyone just breathes a while, let's the man take office and gives him some time ?

marty998, Lizzie and shorty like this.
  8. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I thought it was exactly government doing...? Who makes us the laws, rules and regulations?

9. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Huh?
    COVID, last time I checked, was not passed as a law, rule or regulation in Canberra.
    I may be wrong here though.

10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

No one creates ' the storm' but governments create how they react to storms, wouldn't you agree? So if no-one created covid (although this could be debated) it is still governments response to covid, so they create rules, laws and regulations.
    If there's a storm in the ocean can you alter the storm or you can alter how you steer your boat?

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Rules and regulations traditionally follow a change in public attitude ... not the other way around

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We were talking about there being a labour shortage due to the lack of skilled migration. Yes, it was the government who created this situation, but it was a public health response, not an economic response. It may have had a beneficial effect on the employment rate, but it's had a disastrous effect on inflation, especially with agricultural products.

The outgoing government can't take the credit for one without taking the blame for the other - but I don't think credit or blame are applicable. It's just due to unintended consequences.

13. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I think we were discussing rules and regulations around covid.... let's say the people did not loose the job because of covid, rather because of the rules around covid, no? Although some did actually, where mandates applied and people chose not to agree, I think.
    Perhaps you are right, I think that's law 101, but I doubt most people wished to go to war, yet politicians can decide that. I think from past history, unless there's a referendum, most decisions and bills are past b y politicians rather than people masses.

14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I think I misunderstood, as covid was mentioned.... but the end result is who makes the decision, not the masses, rather governments hence why they are elected.
    Governments should be held accountable for both IMHO, like children at home or schools should be rewarded or reprimanded for good or bad behaviour or consequences.

15. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I don't get what you're trying to say.
    COVID led to decisions to stop the main problem with COVID - People who stop reading PC. Or anything else for that matter.

It was not a policy to create a shortage of skilled migration.
    The ripple effect of the only decision that was possible, meant some more changes.

It's like saying it's your decision to put your hands down falling, which lead to having a broken arm.
    Yes it was, but it's not like you had other valid options.
    Your decision to put your hands down were the only option and it was to reduce the chances of smashing your face.

So if you go and re-read my post you replied to - the shortage of skilled migration was not a government policy or doing. It was an effect of other decisions.
    Hence, it's a very long stretch to claim that the government is the one who led to the lower unemployment rates.

It's makes it even stronger when the rest of OECD has lower numbers as well, meaning it's not our government that did that. It's a mere global trend, and the outgoing government are only taking ride on the wave.

LibGS and Lizzie like this.
  16. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    actually , I referred to your entire post when I said the argument was pathetic . That means all the points you raised ;
    Unemployment rate
    Cash rate
    Commonwealth debt

Who’s picking cherries ?

17. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

My goodness, you are making an alarming amount of sense.

MWI and inertia like this.
  18. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Just to add a general comment here about some of the views being presented on this forum that I find contradictory.
    The whole idea of being a property investor or having an interest in owning property and running small business is a pursuit that individuals engage in to enhance their financial Independence and personal freedom. It is through libertarian policies and small government where this sought if activity can flourish. You have people out there working hard to make profit by serving their customers and meeting their needs and desires.

I find it quite contradictory therefore that there is quite a vocal narrative being posted on this forum that actively promotes a political ideology that is 100 percent against working people from owning property and wanting to get ahead and become successful. It’s like these people are anti property chat (sommersoft) and pro government control and directed.
    Every time I read some of these posts, I just have to shake my head and wonder what’s going on. It makes no logical sense.
    When one supports governments that implement more and higher taxes, it makes it more difficult for the average person to save money and buy property, start businesses and be self sufficient, and every tine governments around the world and central banks over involve themselves in the free market economy they distort the whole system and do more harm than good.
    And I will add one more thing. Too much of what constitutes important narrative has gone away from matters that involve financial and economy literacy and cost of living where people can make a positive difference to their lives and the community to other things.

Last edited: 24th May, 2022
    MWI and Piston_Broke like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not taking either side as it's a waste of time, but just focus on what makes sense to you. Trying to understand and make sense of too many people's viewpoints will drive you insane. Discussion and debate is good. Keeping an open mind is useful. But once you feel it's gone beyond what makes intrinsic sense for you, best to thank others for their viewpoints and be on your merry way. This way, you get to keep a stable BP and avoid any pending coronary event.:)

MWI, Coffee, shorty and 2 others like this.
  20. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

The two highest taxing governments in the past 30 years have been Liberal governments.

Any specific policy that would hinder someone from purchasing property or investing? I personally purchased my first investment property under a Labor government.

marty998, Lizzie and LibGS like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.