Australia's 2022 federal election. Predictions on winners and reasons why

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Such as?

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You have the personal right to drive fast, despite the proven increase in fatalities in a crash. You have the right to smoke if you wish, regardless of the right of somebody else not to inhale second hand smoke. You have the right not to be locked down - vaccination is not an issue. You have the right to use drugs which haven't been authorised here - despite being uncertain about the testing regime in countries where those drugs have been tested.

We have private hospitals here for those who want them. Government run hospitals exist for the protection of people against excessive health costs.

Governments support health research because the private sector will not be interested in researching areas which may lead to dead ends.

I believe there's a trade off between the responsibility of a government to protect the lives and health of citizens, and the rights of citizens. The government chooses to act in ways which protect people who may otherwise be harmed by their own actions, or the actions of others.

Bunbury, Simon Hampel, shorty and 4 others like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

How often do you drive in regional/remote areas ... coming from the country, and being familiar with the state of the roads ... no thanks.

As for the rest - some might be okay for you but they would seriously impinge on the freedoms and choices of those around you. I don't want American style gun ownership - I don't want privatised hospital so that those who cannot afford cannot get treatment - I don't want privatised education so that those that cannot afford are keep impoverished and dumb (even the smart ones) - why would I want smoking in premises that can then cause lung cancer in non-smokers - and who's going to pay for the lung cancer treatment of smokers if they aren't taxed - and the mental health issues of those affected by juvenile "harmless" drug use (proven to cause schizophrenia) - and who's going to pay for funding for the "non-trendy" but essential medical research - and who's going to subsidise insulin for diabetes when the pharmacies want to charge $1,000/mth? Need I go on?

Sounds like they after a Darwin survival of the richest and fittest strategy ... sorry ... but the more you post about them the more I find them distasteful

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Such as you're talking about your right to exit lockdown and potentially infect others with a deadly virus - but what responsibility will you take when you infect someone and they are either health affected for the rest of their lives, or dead?

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Aug, 2021
    Bunbury, shorty, skater and 1 other person like this.
  5. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I definitely think the argument needs to be continuous about achieving a balance in that trade off. For example, I did not realise just how much of a nanny state NSW (and Australia) was until I spent some more time in UK/Europe. To a different degree across issues... and in our case things definitely favour the privileged.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm all for your 'rights', so long as you don't harm someone else in exercising those rights. As above, all the suggested 'rights' harm others.

craigc, Phoenix Pete, Bunbury and 3 others like this.
  7. 2FAST4U

There have been numerous studies done that have concluded that fatalities in Australia would decrease if the speed limit was increased to 130km/h on Australian highways, freeways and motorways. An increase in safety is expected to correlate with an increase in speed due to fatigue reduction, greater concentration on driving and supported by the improvements in driver aid technology and car safety technology. I've attached one of the studies. If it was all just about reducing fatalities we would ban people from driving cars or make the speed limit excessively low, such as 25km/h...

I don't agree with the policy of smoking inside but I don't have any objection to lowering taxation rates for alcohol or tobacco. If the government cared about people's health they would make cigarettes illegal...instead they use them as an easy way to raise revenue by profiting off people's addictions. For the last decade both Labor and Liberal governments have raised the rate of cigarettes by at least 12.5% per year. The last budget was the first time in a decade where there was no mandatory 12.5% increase. All this was done in a time of historically low Australian wages growth and the typical smoker tends to be from a lower-socio economic background. Therefore, in many ways it's a regressive tax that punishes the poor.

Australians should have the right not to be locked down. If people do not want to get vaccinated for COVID that is their choice. Let's offer the opportunity to be vaccinated to everybody and open up our society again. I don’t understand the obsession to make it a requirement or to treat people who choose to not get vaccinated as a second-class citizen. If one is vaccinated, that person has taken the available measures to be protected. Why does it matter if the person next to one has chosen otherwise? Australians have been told lockdowns MAY end when we have a vaccination rate of 80%.

I've got no arguments with you over government healthcare and government research. I certainly believe government has a role to play, but I disagree to the extent that it's playing. Just my opinion- something we are still supposed to be allowed to have in Australia.

Attached Files:

8. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

The argument is that healthcare costs are abhorrently expensive and are funded through heavy taxation. That a reduction in healthcare costs is possible through an alternative model, such as what Singapore uses. In addition, the aim is to reduce government dependency and foster a model of personal and family responsibility.

Basically, a similar system to our superannuation model, but for health, would divert a massive amount of money away from the government and into the hands of Australians who could draw upon this money for health when in need.

I also support a safety net, not hammock, to ensure those with real difficulties are supported by the government.

Take a look at the Singapore model in this video:

9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

10. 2FAST4U

The Singapore model is interesting and raised some good points.

“In fact, if there’s one philosophy that defines its national approach to healthcare, it’s a firm and unapologetic rejection of what was perceived to be the overgenerosity of the British. Believing that the general public was abusing, misusing, and underappreciating government clinics, it’s first Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew was quick to impose a fee".

I chuckled when I heard that.

The Liberals tried that in the 2014 budget by proposing a $7 fee for people to visit the GP and ensure Medicare remains sustainable. It ended up being the beginning of the end for Abbott as Labor/Greens claimed it will end "free universal health care" (Doctors visits have never been "free" - they have been paid for by our tax and the Medicare levy) and the media ran endless stories about the Liberal party attacking the poor and being out of touch etc. Eventually the Liberals had to drop the proposal due to it being so unpopular.

11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    That thunder struck a bit too close .

shorty likes this.
  12. euro73

Yep. Yep. And yep. The way some of these comments appear , no chance common sense is at work . All I see is rusted on ideology for the most part . Utterly embarrassed by it . Tells me we are in for more of the same useless , rudderless , deceitful , self serving rubbish from Morrison and co for years to come . All the great advancements in this country which set it apart , have come from courageous leadership and they have all come from the other side of politics .

bmc, shorty and George Smiley like this.
  13. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

The concern I have is that if we continue this way, at some point we are going to realise our economy is a house of cards completely reliant on resources and then it will be too late.

We need to diversify our economy. The failure to embrace renewables is just nuts.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

This part I agree with 100%. Also I think Australia should be investing in more of the Tech space. I know plenty of ppl that are extremely talented in my field that have relocated to the USA Silicon Valley or Israel for technology focused roles. They are making a motsa like $300k USD+ plus crazy signon bonuses.

There is just not enough Atlassian's here in Australia. We need to reward and provide opportunity to the great tech minds we have here.

craigc, shorty and Lizzie like this.
  15. euro73

You won't ever see it while the right wing holds sway.... and certainly not while the Barnaby's of the world form part of a coalition that is beholden to big gas, big coal and big iron ore. And certainly not while Australian voters refuse to change their alliances/allegiances/ideologies and stay rusted on to one party or another no matter how poorly they do their jobs.
    If you want these sorts of "revolutionary" ideas ( by Australian political standards, anything progressive on climate and renewables is revolutionary ) around renewables or tech to occur, you have to be willing to vote for the party who has shown an appetite for it - and only one party has done that , for well over a decade.
    Otherwise, you can want in one hand and **** in the other, and see which one fills up first .

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Aug, 2021
    Lizzie likes this.
  16. euro73

Did anyone see Barnaby’s performance in Question Time today ? This friends , is our Deputy PM .

17. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

20. euro73

Mind the language :)

3D11B28F-E1B6-4FB3-9AC1-712004B923E2.jpeg

TAJ and Lizzie like this.