Australia's 2022 federal election. Predictions on winners and reasons why

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

If he is the best our country has to offer then we deserve him. Honestly, I would prefer Abbott over Morrison and I despise Abbott. He wouldn't have gone on holidays during the bushfires, that's for sure. Morrison is not only incompetent, he's lazy.

Think of any large corporation or organisation. They all have a strategy, a vision for how they will grow and prosper. What's ours? Sell iron ore and coal? We don't have effective national leadership, as can be clearly seen by state premiers effectively running the country. The vaccine rollout is but one example of this. This impacts business and consumer confidence because there's no gameplan.

What confuses me most about this forum is that it's full of people who do rigorous due diligence for any investment decision they make, and yet when it comes to politics, which has enormous impact on our economy it seems to go out the window. We're talking about the bloke who oversaw a $60 billion miscalculation with Jobkeeper, has presided over ever increasing budget deficits (pre-covid) and had the country poised to tip into recession in 2020 (also pre-covid). Then ran up the budget deficit towards a trillion dollars with no particular goal other than to keep things as they were back in 2019, which wasn't flash.

From 2013 to 2019 government debt doubled.

The LDP have a host of fringe (If I wasn't being diplomatic I'd say radical) policies. They want US-style gun laws, they want to abolish public schools and allow individual schools to determine their own curriculum. They want to privatise universities, raise speed limits and deregulate childcare (what could go wrong?).

2. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

LDP also want to deregulate medicine and make TGA approval voluntary.

If those policies are attractive to people, by all means vote for them - but understand what you are voting for.

Policy - Liberal Democrats

spludgey and Lizzie like this.
  3. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Where do you get the impression people do not understand what they're voting for?

4. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Me too, and I come from the left side. At least he had direction, ideas and executed on the strategy. He was there as a placeholder and ended up winning as people voted "anyone except Rudd/Julia & Co.
    After winning he was surprisingly good and effective, until the whole establishment wanted him gone and we happy to screw up the party to make it happen.
    Unfortunately sensible budgets when out with the Abbott/Hockey which was crucified by the media , the thought of not increasing and god forbid even reducing spending for a few years was met with absolute terror.

On the other Scomo often looks like a bumbling idiot terrified of criticism.
    He's further left than Hakwe/Keating were and nowhere near as good or efficient.

The good seems much more good than bad.

Not sure who, but the 2 majors and greens are def out of my vote.
    I'm just looking for a libertarian candidate.

2FAST4U likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm seriously just leaning independent atm ... so pitiful are the other options

inertia likes this.
  6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

How do you think Leyonhjelm got elected in the first place. Just pointing out that the LDP have some pretty extreme policies. I doubt many Australians would be comfortable deregulating medicine approval, childcare or privatising all schools.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I haven't listed any of the major parties first for a very long time.

However, as incompetent as the LNP is, I can't see Labor taking power any time soon - the Absentee Opposition.

8. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I think I said this earlier but I think there's a good chance of minority government next time with a strong independent cross bench. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I'd say it's absurd to think that all that will happen by voting LDP.
    That all options are visible and on the table to be discussed is a good thing imo.

Traveller99 likes this.
  10. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

The alternative view is, never interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.

euro73 likes this.
  11. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I agree it's unlikely that they will be implemented given the LDP's small base.

12. Traveller99

I think it's fine to hold your own views on other party's policies, but to assume those that voted for a party, which has policies you disagree with, did so because they were not aware of each and every policy initiative is fallacious.

Many ordinary people who are members of a political party, have a good grasp of the organisation they joined, typically based on the overriding principles. They likely have a understanding of the policies, and may even disagree with varying degrees over some. However, within the party, policy is discussed, altered, redrawn and challenged by members.

If a person votes for a party without doing the due diligence, then that is the decision they made. Ideally, we want all Australians to be as aware as much as possible with the party they are voting for, but politics is something the majority have little time for. Thanks for posting the LDP policies in a previous post. People can read them and decide for themselves.

Another thing to consider, the LDP is not aiming to be a third party power across the two houses of parliament. They are more likely wishing to assume an important role on the minor party centre-right like what The Greens have successfully achieved on the left.

Angel and 2FAST4U like this.
  13. inertia

He got elected by a party name change and a lucky ballot on polling position:
    How mistaken identity and luck won on the day

spludgey likes this.
  14. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I was going by my understanding of how Leyonhjelm was originally elected

How mistaken identity and luck won on the day

spludgey and inertia like this.
  15. inertia

shorty likes this.
  16. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Just beat me to it :D

17. Traveller99

No worries. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, it appears that was likely the case. He was however, re-elected in 2016.

shorty likes this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. Some good policies.

Decrease (or remove?) taxes on alcohol.
    Decrease (or remove?) taxes on smoking.
    Decrease taxes on gambling.
    Raise speed limits.
    Liberalise gun laws.
    Allow smoking in venues.
    End lockdowns - but neutral on vaccination.
    End government involvement in the delivery of health services.
    Abolish government funding of health research.
    Allow the use of drugs in Australia which have been approved elsewhere, which may not have been approved here.
    Privatise hospitals.

It seems to promote policies which are detrimental to the health of Australians.

I think they are getting a lot of support purely on the "end lockdowns" stance.

Lizzie, George Smiley and skater like this.
  19. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    The LDP are a libertarian party, which believe in personal choices and free markets. All of those policy examples you have given are consistent with personal choice. The LDP also believe in small government and lower taxation.

"If you agree with me on 9 out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12 issues, see a psychiatrist"- Ed Koch Former New York Mayor

Edit- The rationale behind raising speed limits is mainly to reduce fatigue in regional and remote areas. For example raise the speed limit from 100/110 to 130km/h. Seems fairly logical to me?

20. inertia

It's amazing how libertarians constantly bang on about rights, but dont really go for responsibilities...

Bunbury and skater like this.