Australia's 2022 federal election. Predictions on winners and reasons why

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I think it will be interesting. Albo is much more canny than people give him credit for. He's figured out that it's often better to just give Morrison enough rope and let him do the work for him, as he seems so good at ballsing things up. Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake and all that.

I think you will see a different side of Albo come out in the next couple of months once the campaign really starts.

I can't see how the ALP could possibly do any worse than wasting 40 billion on jobkeeper that wasn't needed. At least the ALP has some ideas about how to grow the economy - free child care which will encourage more labour maker participation for women, green economy investment policies, etc.

Our economy has been on set and forget for almost a decade. No strategy, no vision.

spludgey, wylie, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

They (and their media supporters) just repeat the claim over and over and the masses believe it.

I'm always amazed at how the rusted-on folk of either side (even when they claim they are not rusted on...) will accept behaviour/performance from "their" side, while roasting the other side (despite lack of evidence, or indeed evidence to the contrary).

I've said before, I'm left-leaning, but I still don't think much of Albo, and indeed Labor as a whole. I also don't think either LNP or Lab is going to make a massive difference to me personally - I'll adapt to whoever is government - minimise and adverse impact, and take advantage of any positive opportunities. But it is about more than just me, and I vote accordingly.

sanj and wylie like this.
  3. inertia

apart from subsidising their mates' industries etc...

There is a laundry list or terrible, and potentially corrupt financial decisions from this government, yet the LNP supporters still beat the drum about them being the best economic managers. I mean, the Great Barrier Reef grant alone should be enough for heads to roll.

shorty, Lizzie and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  4. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I think someone else said this recently but we really need fixed 4 year terms for the federal government. 3-ish years is too short. Too much time is taken up with campaign mode stuff which doesn't leave much time for actual governing and doing things, medium-long term planning, etc.

spludgey and Lizzie like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think too much time is taken up with campaign mode stuff in the US. At least two years in four.

While a variable term can be used by the party in power to gain advantage, at least campaign time is limited to the time between when an election is called and when the election takes place.

6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree the USA is even worse with their mid-terms.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I wanna know who is apparently "hoarding" these Rats that no one can get hold of? And at $70 For a pack of 5, who the heck can afford to?

*** according to Barnaby

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2022
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Will definitely be interesting to see. If albo gets sharp and picks up the pace during campaigning....he may pull off a win. I still have no idea who will win but I think it'll be close. I do believe at this point it's Libs to lose it, not ALP to lose it.

9. inertia

I still think LNP will win. Labor will make some policy announcement, the spin/fear mongers will go nuts, people who wont actually be affected will think the sky is falling.

Plus Clive Palmer is throwing a ton of money at the election and while he is giving the Nationals a lot of grief, he will still preference Libs over Labs. I do think he is trying to take the place of the National party as the crackpot little brother that no one really likes, but you have to take with you when you go out.

10. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Albo's press club speech today is worth a watch

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Will check it out later thanks.

12. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

Yep, sounds contrarian, but I think the more chaos that happens between now and election day (stock market falls, high inflation, Russia-Ukraine, COVID dramas) people would rather the devil they know - we Australians are quite conservative by nature

13. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Measured, direct and confident. Refreshingly void of nonsensical slogans and rejection of premise.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Made me sleepy tbh.

In all fairness, some of the Libs speeches make me sleepy too. They always say what they think folks wanna hear. Then when in power, the shenanigans begins.

I still feel it's like trying to choose who is the lesser evil. So I'm staying put at this point.

wylie likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Good speech.

Good luck Albo. I don't predict the ALP having an easy time winning office. Morrison will outmanoeuvre Albo at every step I reckon. And I'm not particularly a huge Morrison fan.

Yeah, yeah many will disagree..yada yada yada.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2022
  17. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

A good speech won't be enough when the country doesn't believe a word you're saying.

If there had been any doubt, the corrupt NSW ex premier's (Berejiklian, I should be more specific, as that description applies to a few) text messages hammered the last nail into the coffin.

I just can't see a realistic path to victory for Scomo, which is great.

Just a recap why I think that he needs to go:
    • Needed his wife to tell him that rape is bad
    • Cocked up the Covid response
    • Opposition to a federal ICAC
    • Corruption
    • Zero climate change action
    • Fled the country during the bushfires
    • Religious discrimination bill
    • Nuclear submarine deal with no information
    • Etc
    I think it's basically down to divine intervention now.

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2022
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Like I said, I'm no huge fan of Morrison. He's made some very poor decisions. I think if the ALP think this ones 'in the bag' though as they did last time.....that would be a big mistake (again).

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thats what they all said about Trump,.right up until the last hour of the election being called. We all know what happened then.

I'm not saying the LIBS will sail in easily either. At present time, I still think it'll be a close election.

20. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

spludgey and Lizzie like this.