Australian police response times

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by aussieB, 6th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Rant

I was amazed to read the UK police's response time in neutralising the three terrorists on the bridge mowing people down recently. 8 Minutes! I had to read that a few times - it simply took 8 minutes for the machinery to kick in and for the police to shoot three terrorists. In Australia, the cops have mucked the Lindt cafe seige - probably learnt no lesson - and then the coppers took 90 minutes to respond to the bomb threat that recently happened on the Malaysian airlines. 1 and a half hours !

When I first moved to Australia and looked at the police here, all I could think of was the ways Afro-Americans from the Heart of Dixie would toy with them. Now I see kids from the Apex gang and whatnot are just playing with the cops in Vic. So NSW police is weak. Vic police is weak. NT police is probably non existent as law really is only advisory up here. I am thinking the cops are now the new league of dole bludgers. Get paid to do the minimum required. I wonder what happens if someone gets pulled over, says to the copper, I got a bomb. May be the cop just disappears or the guy has enough time to do a successful runner because the cops aint prepared to deal with such a situation.

I read about the AFP busting the ATO official's son and I have some hope. Something, somewhere is working. Its a mixed feeling. Is there a policy or a document which enlists guaranteed turn around times for events by the police ? How is performance by the police measured ? I could only find KPIs for WA police on the internet - guess they must be the only ones actually policing.

Tenex and Chris_R like this.
  2. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Shoot first, ask questions later.

3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Culture and values might be lacking but i think the major issue is the law and not the police force... Our laws are way too soft. Fix that and most people will learn to respect the law and abide by it.

WestOz, Sackie, Pumpkin and 2 others like this.
  4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I deal with the police weekly on behalf of victims of crime. While I'm usually the first to pile criticism on them, and often need to on behalf of my clients - I'd say 90% of the general complaints about police are just speculative rubbish.

Its a tough gig and they do a lot of work that goes unnoticed by the general community - work which usually can't be talked about until well after the fact, and that they don't get enough recognition for.

Angel, Phineas, Terry_w and 14 others like this.
  5. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I think it´s an unfair comparison, Europe is on high alert and there are a lot of heavily armed special police around especially at high profile city points and tourist spots.

For example in Barcelona these guys are everywhere, a few years ago they were not.
    [​IMG]

Phase2 likes this.
  6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

The coppers have a HARD job up here...wasn't made any easier with this Don Dale **** either....

NT is a very special case with all the indigenous history, remoteness, intervention, lenient sentencing, farcical government and absolute addiction to the bottle.

I agree it could be a lot better but to be fair to the coppers it is not an easy beat.

7. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

Actually the NSW ones seem quite heavy handed and aggressive, but only when they have safety in numbers. Eg they were nowhere to be seen when the Cronulla revenge attacks were going on but can be way over the top for just minor traffic matters or when there is the chance to pick on someone they don't like. One Lebanese fellow has been arrested 5 times in the Bankstown area and none of the charges have ever stuck. He has sued them twice for wrongful arrest but get this - he is a solicitor and one time he was arrested while wearing his suit outside court!

Joynz likes this.
  8. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

People have the police force that they deserve due to lefty, hug everyone, nutters that crawl this earth.

The Lindt siege drama occurred because policing is all about cordon and contain. Not shoot to kill.

Monis could have been shot, but then you would prob be posting that police are too heavy handed, monis was misunderstood, why didn't they wait etc.

Yesterday in Victoria, 3 sog police where shot. 3 people almost didn't go home to their family. Yet they are dole bludgers according to you?

Did you have someone try and kill you yesterday?

Don't call triple 0 when you need help.

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Jun, 2017
    trailtrekker, Ryan23 and WestOz like this.
  9. scienceman

I thought they were famous for being trigger-happy (the Victorian constabulary that is)?

Joynz likes this.
  10. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Scienceman - that's exactly the problem.

people criticize them for taking action. So they are trained to not act.

Now we see the consequence of the first complaint, and in the end, they make no one happy

trailtrekker likes this.
  11. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

AussieB - have you ever spoken to a cop? Not a job I would want, it's a really tough gig, for not great pay.

Nobody wants to see you.

If you have done something wrong (and I mean even a traffic stop) nobody wants that.

If you have done nothing wrong, but had something happen to you, again you might have to deal with the police but not a pleasant experience.

And as for 8 mins, get someone to time you reacting to an event that you know zero details except possibly the location, which also may not be accurate. My guess it will take longer than 8 minutes.

HUGH72 and WestOz like this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You've got the info about the aircraft issue the other week completely wrong. They responded quickly, they just didn't enter the plane immediately, guns blazing...

If the police had stormed the Lindt Cafe and people had died, you'd be just as quick - maybe quicker - to criticise.

wylie and WestOz like this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The bridge was opened late yesterday London time,and we went for a walk across last night as there is a clear armed Police in most train stations and any high flow tourist area,s,plus from what I was told yesterday they have mobile fast action units around London..

14. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Cops get paid well. Overtime, penalties etc. It's good and they deserve it. 90% of the job is doing nothing, the other 10% is tough, very tough.

WestOz and Joynz like this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I came face to face with response times 2 weeks ago. An 18yo sent a goodbye to life message to friends. Friends who got the message called police, parents and anyone close.
    I got there in 8 minutes after doing 100km/hr and going through a red light.
    The police were already there. Yes the station was in the next suburb (I was 2 suburbs over) but they took the situation so bloody seriously and the guy is still alive thanks to those response times.

Police have a horrible job and don't always get it right but I would say they do an awesome performance most of the time.

Brady, Marg4000, Wukong and 7 others like this.
  16. thegreat

thegreat Well-Known Member

In London six dead before police started to shoot.
    It is not orange and orange situation to Sydney siege

17. scienceman

There were police on the spot and they tried to stop the terrorists, but being unarmed they came off second best. I don't understand why they aren't considering arming all police like Australia and the US do.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I find I trust the police here less because they carry guns everywhere.

Ed Barton likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The police are fantastic. Its the laws which govern their every move which is pathetic. Would like to see Australia's laws much, much tougher. Especially for ppl who migrate here and then commit serious crimes. They should lose citizenship and be shipped out and lose their assets as compensation to the victims family.

That Monis ***** was well known to police. Our weak laws allowed that incident to happen. He should have been shipped out of Oz long ago or in jail for life.

Archaon, Angel, Phineas and 4 others like this.
  20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Most police are fantastic. Some are dishonest, incompetent idiots. Just like any workplace.

A 'police state' might sound like a good thing until you or one of your family is locked up unjustly - or mistakenly shot.

I agree that Monis, with his list of serious sexual assaults, should definitely have been called to account.

Momentum, wylie and Ed Barton like this.