Australian gun laws - should they be reviewed?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Mombius Hibachi, 17th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

That awkward moment when you discover a thread and cant work out if some are magnificent trolls or just good old fashioned loons

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
    spludgey likes this.
  4. sanj

Come on andrew youre being silly now. There is no place for logic when some back themselves into a corner and defend a pov to the death for the sake of pride or whatever.

Just so i havent misunderstood, it has been suggested that australia, with some of the lowest gun related deaths in the world, should adopt gun ownership policoes similar to USA with one of the highest rate of gun related deaths per capita?

Clear as mud

Esel likes this.
  5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

How about you actually contribute some useful input to a thread instead of sniping folks?

Excuse the pun. :p

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
  6. sanj

If you cant see the point im making in the 2nd paragraph id suggest goinf back to bed, today isnt working out for you.

We have sorts strict gun laws and very few gun deaths. It has been suggested that we adopt America's idea of everyone having the rigjt to bear arms, this of course being the country where a stupid number of people die from gun violence every single year.

I feel it is a ludicrous suggestion

7. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

radson, DaveM, Esel and 2 others like this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

This.

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I was talking to another Sydney Airbnb host recently. They had a bloke from Texas stay with them and he ended up heading back there early. He was nervous being in Australia and not being able to bring and carry his gun around - despite the fact that he understood someone would have to try really hard to get shot here. It was such an odd thing to hear.

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just leave it the way it is,it's worked so far martin bryant in Tasmania with a semi auto made the Australia public wake up real quick,and then lets face the simple facts in Australia a lot of people have unlic high powered firearms,so there is already enough guns out there as it is..

11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Agreed.

We didn't have a civil war, embedding the belief that the government is out to get us, that we need to be able to defend ourselves against them, and be able to over throw them should the need arise...

Cheers,
    Inertia.

12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

They are a bunch who are fed fear and constantly live in a state of fear to some degree.

I worked for a brief time at a public golf course in L.A when we lived there...the owner insisted we shut the shop exactly on time each night...no going over the scheduled time.

One night as I was closing, a customer who had bought a cap earlier came and knocked on the door as I was closing up (it was still daylight and a number of folks around).

He asked if he could swap the size; I weighed up the situation and thought it was safe enough, so let him in so he could choose another one..

Just as this was occuring, the owner turned up and saw me in the shop with this customer. The guy took his cap exchange, and left - all up about 2 mins in total.

Well; the Owner then came in and tore strips off me for letting the guy in; "This is L.A, man!! You can get killed here!!" and stuff like this...I was over 40 at this time, so not young and naive.

Yes, there is a chance of a mugging or robbery, but geez; the fear factor was totally over the top - in my opinion.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

wasn't there shootings in sydney at a police station from lebanese gang many years ago. i think i saw it in the underbelly.

14. catsteve

catsteve Active Member

bahaw haw haw.

surely not...

its the other way round in your neck of the woods eh MB?

15. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

You can own a gun in Australia, we just have restrictions on the TYPE of guns (i.e. no automatic and semi automatic weapons). We also have regulations about the storage requirements.

This means we have less mass shootings. Yes, murder still happens but it will continue to happen with or without guns. What it does mean is that accidental gun death and mass shootings do not happen.

America has had more than 1 mass shooting per day this year. That is not normal and not okay.
    This is a great video that looks at what easy access to guns really means

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

This is total stupid.
    This is why America has had over 1.1m hand gun deaths..

Let's introduce a whole new realm of other crimes to prevent one that happens rarely - home invasions.

The argument of protection via guns is nothing but fear mongering and preying on people's insecurities..

That why when there is someone with a gun injury in Australia it's on the news, because it is a rare occurrence, why would we want more of that?
    So instead of having an irrational fear of someone breaking into my house while I sleep I have to worry about getting shot in the street instead. Totally makes sense.....

BigKahuna likes this.
  17. Pursefattener

Pursefattener Well-Known Member

I am a licensed firearm user and have 5 different rifles . Yesterday I had to go over to the neighbours and shoot a cow that had broken it's leg . Not a very pleasant job but necessary .

I've owned firearms all my life and I think the laws as they are have struck a good balance .

What I do find concerning is the number of illegal handguns and modern automatic weapons that get into the country somehow .

I've seen some amazing collections of antique firearms and if I was really wealthy it's something I would love to get into .

T.C. and bob shovel like this.
  18. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

And the only thing i need my partner to kill is spiders.

19. radson

radson Well-Known Member

The synapses firing haphazardly in your brain are not the same as facts.

Mumbai, Simon Hampel, wylie and 3 others like this.
  20. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I used to own all sorts of Self loading shottys,military,SLR,AK 47,long range target rifles,Ruger 10/22semi.The whole lot,around 15 went after the Port Arthur massacre.Speaking of Port Arthur,which was the catalyst of gun law changes,this link has just emerged.May open the can of worms the conspiracy crowd have been looking for,some ex pollies may be ducking for cover.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia