Australian GPD Growth Slows To Lowest Since 2011

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by 2FAST4U, 2nd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yes; when we lived there, it was expected of you to pay 18% of the bill for tips. o_O

All the tips were pooled though, and then divided evenly between the entire Staff.

If you didn't tip, they just added it onto the bill anyway.

2. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Bayview - all that will happen to the complainers is that they will lose their jobs and someone out of the masses of people who trudge in there looking for work every day will get lucky and score a low pay illicit job. It's a market that operates outside of the law and nobody really cares.

Like with 7/11 systematically under-paying their staff - there doesn't appear to be a shortage of people who are still willing to work there even though they obviously pay their staff less than half of what they're supposed to.

3. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

How did they do that?

4. Bayview

They add up the bill, then add on 18% to the total, and then you have the new total.

Then they give you the bill to pay - most folks pay with cards these days, so it's a pre-emptive move.

They still have the "tips jar" as well a lot of times..

5. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

Ah ok. We just got back and found that they give us the bill and then we put our tip amount and manually add up the new total, then gave them the card.

If they put the tip in there for me I'd be likely to cross it off completely!

6. Bayview

You haven't dealt with Fairwork Australia then.

If you complain to FWA, and then get sacked; they will look at the reasons why and an unfair dismissal case will be triggered.

I made two Staff redundant last year, and did absolutely everything right, and still had to endure a Spanish Inquistion with that mob because one of the workers made a claim..He just did it to be an @-hole, and they have an obligation to follow it up.:rolleyes:o_O

Think about this; anyone who is underpaid is doing so as a cash payment - it is not possible to do what you say is being done (as a business owner) and get away with it for long.

There are such things as Worksafe insurance - which is worked out on wages totals for the business.

There are also industry benchmarks and "averages" which allow the ATO to monitor a respective industry and thus the likely turnovers etc of the various businesses.

It exists in my industry - automotive, and also in my previous industry of Golf Pro Shops.

So, those workers are making a choice - work for cash, and take a pay cut to save tax, or don't work for cash. You can't have it both ways; complain about the hourly rate and not pay your fair share of tax.

In option 2, the business owner is obliged by law to follow the rules or get fined very heavily if caught.

Last edited: 15th Sep, 2015
  7. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate as a business owner you got caught out by an employee going to Fair Work. I know you might find my evidence incredible but hospitality is a completely different game - people are routinely underpaid and exploited and nobody in authority seems to care. Worksafe would not care unless there were bad OH&S practices - the ATO would say that underpayment is not their issue as long as people are still paying tax (the people I know in hospitality all pay tax incidentally). The only people who get cash under the counter routinely are backpackers and illicit foreign students who aren't permitted to work over 15 hours per week.

I've never heard of Fair Work turning over a Chapel Street cafe but I've heard plenty of instances of employers going broke and leaving employees thousands out of pocket; the most recent was The Flame Grill opposite the Prahran Town Hall.

That's the bottom line, Bayview, the people who are being exploited can't get any other sort of work so they just don't complain - end of story.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia