Australian Dollar 2018

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 8th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The US companies can't in certain industries..but other countries can....

I think you will find that a lot of innovation is now coming out of Asian countries.....

2. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Alan Greenspan when he said "forecasting exchange rates for major currencies is as accurate as forecasting the outcome of the flip of a coin"

3. equityma

equityma Well-Known Member

do not underestimate the usd. it's a resilient currency and aud won't get pass 82cent

you must know the current australia economy is driven by infrastructure. It creates jobs.

The government hasn't spent much as you look at the new west gate tunnels to see how Transurban is spending money to build it.

if the US spends money on infrastructure then world currencies will be worthless as inflation rises but unfortunately the US infrastructures have been built to cope with huge traffics. For example a freeway built for 8 lanes but it uses only 4 lanes whereas in australia. they build 8 lanes but they have to widen up later in a decade.

why do you want a higher aud?
    it's doesn't give any good outcomes for the whole economy.

Trump is good because if the usd is raising too fast then world equities will collapse and all assets classes will fall like stones. it will be another GFC
    I bet you don't want to see it

Phar Lap and MTR like this.
  4. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Got .72 us per aus dollar in 2015. The US is not as cheap as every one makes it out to be.

MTR likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

If rates go up so does the A$......

6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

and another one came to predict the AUD :D

@BoatArrival you need to find out why Iphone is built in China. It is not the cost.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

8. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

And RBA does not want that.
    Glen used to jaw bone the dollar for many years than he got in to trouble for interfering with market.

So only option for RBA is to reduce rates. Something they wont do either in my opinion.
    So the rate will stay for a while where it is.

What is the impact of prolonged low rates?

9. KrustyDaPizza

KrustyDaPizza Well-Known Member

10. KrustyDaPizza

Nadine Cross likes this.
  11. KrustyDaPizza

Actually the AUD-USD rate now is based on the current market assumption that the RBA will hike interest rates 2x in the next 18 months. In other words, the RBA rate hikes are already "priced in."

Lucky Lad likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well timed:)

13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

AUD against most currencies probably not much change this year, it has weakened but stabilized now.

Exception is USD, their future deficit blowout caused by their lopsided idiotic tax cuts should see AUD parity again within a year or two.

willair likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

your dreaming... AUD parity.....with USD, this only happened when we had the mother of all mining booms.... that was very unique

MTR:)

15. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Active Member

I’m planning a North American adventure this year. Higher AUD would be nice.

That will also make US shares cheaper - if you hold long term and USD roars back when the Donald Duck mess is stabilised the currency gains will amplify the price gains!

My super had a great performance last year because I’m overweight international equities, underweight bonds and local shares.

16. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Active Member

If only the RBA can hike rates faster than the US Fed. Not gonna happen. But who knows, we may accidentally find more oil and gas fields, good if current oil prices stabilise.

MTR likes this.
  17. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Active Member

Geez. Will Catalunya have to print its own currency when it becomes independent? The EU won’t be happy with independence, forget using EUR.

What would you call it? Catalan Peseta? European Peso?

#ViveEspagne

18. BoatArrival

BoatArrival Well-Known Member

You need to find out how much of iphone cost is captured in Apple's margins and how much is at component's manufacturer's in China. Just because you are building something doesn't mean you get to share the margin. And yes, it's all about the cost per unit. Apple has got the one of the best supply chain management and they squeeze every cent out of their suppliers, they have 65-69% margin rates.

Good analogy would be saying that masonry workers or other tradies get the most margin and not Mr. Treguboff when another cookie cutter high rise is built and sold. Do you really think they get majority of profit on that project ?

Nadine Cross likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I dont call it a mess, I call it the Trump rally, economy is in great shape. GPD at 3% and on the rise, lowest unemployment in 17 years, property and share markets booming

Nadine Cross likes this.
  20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.