Australian Dollar 2017

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 1st Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

AWS and Azure are NOT cheap hosting options. Quite the contrary - they are aimed at an enterprise level and are generally not ideal for smaller hosting solutions (mostly due to the complexity).

Not saying they can't be used - but there are better options out there when you don't need the complexity that comes with those platforms. I do actually use AWS for storage purposes and as a CDN - but not for hosting the main site.

My point still remains though - even though you can pay your AWS hosting in AUD - it is actually calculated in USD internally and then converted to AUD when they bill you - so you're still paying extra as the AUD drops.

Respectfully - I don't think you know what you are talking about.

aussieB likes this.
  2. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

which may very well be the case.

I build software (not too different than this one) for a living and have been doing for many years. I am sure you do that too. This software seems to be a 90's or early 2000 product or at least comes across as one, unnecessarily heavy IMHO.

Happy to provide a constructive feedback as well in a different thread - if you like.

3. Simon Hampel

There is a thread here: PropertyChat v2 suggestions

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is a much better forum to look at on a phone though than the unicycling forum General Unicycling Discussions - Unicyclist Community which resembles Somersoft. The text won't scale to page etc....

5. Simon Hampel

Yup - that site is still running on vBulletin v3.8 - which is what we used to run Somersoft on.

Now that is 2000's era software - vB 3.0 was released in 2004!

... but we digress. Back to the topic please.

6. Simon_S

Simon_S Well-Known Member

Maybe you should consider opening an account that will allow you to hold USD

7. Simon Hampel

Was that comment directed at me?

That would basically be an attempt to "hedge" my currency exposure - but in my experience, there's just as much chance of paying too much for my USD as there is of saving costs in AUD terms. Hedging works both ways and I've seen plenty of large institutions get it consistently wrong to the point where I think it's really not worth the effort/cost.

FWIW, I do earn money from some of my sites in USD using PayPal - and I have some USD expenses which get run through my PayPal account and use up those USD first before it will convert AUD to top up any shortfall. My PayPal account has both AUD and USD balances (they are effectively two separate accounts and I account for them separately in my bookkeeping. But holding USD in that manner is more incidental rather than done intentionally.

8. Simon_S

Simon_S Well-Known Member

Yes.

Not sure if you follow currency markets but the AUD has been effectively sold since july 2011 when it topped out. With Rates rising in the US I would expect capital to continue heading back to the US
    I cannot see any drivers for future AUD appreciation.

The AUD/USD has been in a side ways holding pattern since sept 2015 and now looks to be possibly breaking to the downside. You may see some support enter at this critical juncture but it may prove to be short lived.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Here is an update, heard this before but perhaps things have changed and it may actually happen??

Australian dollar to slide to 65 US cents in 2019, says Morgan Stanley

Extract SMH
    Australia's dollar is set to fall to the weakest since the aftermath of the global financial crisis in 2009 as it loses its standing as a high-yielding currency, according to Morgan Stanley.

The Aussie will drop to 67 US cents in 2018 before retreating further to 65 US cents in 2019 as the nation's benchmark rate will eventually go below the Federal Reserve's, said Hans Redeker, the London-based chief global currency strategist at Morgan Stanley, the most bearish forecaster of the currency.

10. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

That's very possible if Fed does a rate rise and as economic conditions deteriorate from Syd/Melb property markets cooling forcing a rate drop from RBA. And if iron ore goes below $60/ton, AUD will surely drop below 70c.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Good for Aussie holiday let hosts?

aussieB and MTR like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Is it time to start trading currency, more news that AU$ will tank next year?

13. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Should we tank USD now as it is really low?

14. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant hold on to your USD as the exchange rate is on USD favour now. But not buying further -> wait until AUD up

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not at the moment, lets see if the tax cuts go through, this will drive their economy through the roof, though its already roaring.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would be holding USD?? But I am expecting Au$ to fall, but I could be wrong, just what I would do

iloveqld likes this.
  17. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Why would this drive the US economy through the roof? It will only benefit the rich by the looks of it and it won't affect middle class wages

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Trump's tax reform plan: Who are the winners and losers?

Business/Corporations will benefit this will be massive for the economy.

With or without... today US economy is roaring including stock market and property markets. This will just take it to another level I believe

19. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Here's a different side to it and a bit more details.
    Who wins and loses in Trump's tax plan?

Someone has to pay for all these cuts and again, companies making profits doesn't translate to a roaring economy. Punters spending drives economies and the middle class in the US has been and is still being eroded for years now.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its a mute point, economy is already moving.
    Don't forget foreign investors.... huge...

U.S. economy records fastest growth in 3 years

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.