Australia, you’ve officially jumped the shark

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Guest, 3rd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

My ex thought like this...that's why she is my ex.

ej89 and Darren A like this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

1. Nearly everyone assumed that these mining riches would go on forever, permanently paving the streets with iron ore and gold.
    Rhetoric (paved streets), but there are numerous economists, commentators and governments who've overestimated the longevity of the commodities/mining investment boom.

2. We organised a commodities boom
    I'll give you that one.

3. We didn’t actually have the cash we needed, so we just borrowed the rest, mostly from overseas lenders

http://www.afr.com/markets/debt-mar...ce-on-offshore-capital-markets-20140615-jgriz

4. House prices exploded over the last two decades, outstripping our so-called ‘economic fundamentals’.

I would call this opinion, not really deniable or provable.

5. The bubble re-inflated in one last giant blow-off, sending investor lending straight to Pluto, as the scale on everyone’s graphs broke

Unprecedented (in recorded history) investor finance in the market is factual.
    http://www.digitalfinanceanalytics....or-may-investment-property-lending-still-hot/

6. The twin columns of the Aussie economy – mining and housing – sucked the life out of every other possible means of making money

Mostly rhetoric, but manufacturing (and other sectors) are clearly in decline.

7. Nearly the entire sum of new credit loaned since the GFC went to housing

"Nearly the entire sum" is debatable, subjective, but clearly a majority.

Can't be bothered continuing, but all the rest have factual basis with a little rhetoric sprinkled over the top :)

Tekoz likes this.
  3. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Well, probably she thinks the same.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

barnes - it's clear that you are not interested in building wealth through property investment. So that leads to the obvious next question - why are you here? This is a discussion forum for property investors.

ARC, jins13, ej89 and 1 other person like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It would be good to hear how those buying 25 years ago found it so easy. I don't think buying a house was ever easy. I know in Brisbane the first house I actually lived in (back in 1983) cost $46K. I don't recall what I was earning at the time, but I was 23 years old on a bank salary, no degree, just a typist. I did get a staff discount though on the interest rate, otherwise I couldn't have afforded it.

I'd also be keen to hear from barnes how he/she managed to pay cash for a house. Did barnes rent somewhere whilst saving up the total cost to buy cash outright. I don't know anybody who has done that.

6. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I was once, but not anymore and I was a part of a parent forum for many years. Also I'm looking to buy myself a new PPOR and you have good links on resources about property economics and market stages. I'm an investor now in another field, but behaviour of mankind is the same, so it's interesting to see how it is in different fields of investing. That's why I'm here.
    If you want to ban me, that's your choice.

7. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I have lived overseas 25 years ago. And yes I was able to pay cash for my first property and several after that, until it got ugly with all that debt mounting. :( I have never rented except a few holiday houses for a few months.

8. wylie

Are you happy to share how you saved whilst paying rent, how much rent you paid, price of first property? Your age back then? I don't know one person who has paid cash for their first PPOR, unless it has been helped by an inheritance.

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yep she sure did...
    Although her salary was high and had no debt..would have been perfect low risk candidate for a mortgage...

10. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I have told you it was overseas. A country had NO lending practices at the end of the 80's. Everything was sold in cash, so the prices were sustainable for a lot of people. I was around 20+ back then. And I was living at my girlfriends while saving. :)

11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Putting aside the fact that it's just another unsubstantiated (his admission) whinge, I think the title of the article should have been, 'Sydney, you've officially jumped the shark.' I haven't heard many people in other parts of the country complaining too much about prices.
    Scott

12. wylie

I'd still think we all would be interested in knowing what the purchase price was. It is easy to say you have never borrowed, but it just isn't realistic now, and was never realistic for most people.

13. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

Interesting to read all the views on here. It will be even more interesting to see what happens going forward. I would agree that Australian and New Zealand house prices are very high and outside of foreign cash buyers I don't see how it can continue forever. Off course, if the banks are willing to lend and people are willing to borrow and service the debt then it will.

14. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I dream of being able to purchase a house with cash unfortunately not sure if I could buy it even with $100 notes lol. Might have to hire a few trucks + security.

15. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Oh comon now Simon never mentioned anything about banning or even alllued to it. It was just an innocent question.

16. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I have paid around 14k USD for a one-bedroom flat in a very good location. I was making around 1 - 1,5k a month back then after taxes, so it didn't take long.:) You could buy a good studio for 5-6k without a problem.

17. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But sometimes it's sad to see how people react to a different point of view, especially the ones who are in command.:(

18. wylie

Thanks for that. It is much clearer now for anybody reading. That sounds quite easy.

19. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

The majority (roughly two thirds) of Australians own their own home. Our home ownership rate has been within +-2% of 69% since the 1950s.

Gingin likes this.
  20. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Yeah that is correct. But, how many of those homes were purchased in the 21st century, without previous selling? What about those 7+ million who are without a home and have NO opportunity to buy anymore without becoming a mortgage slave for life?