australia wide

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by adam duckworth, 9th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

broad question i know, but what areas are people watching at the moment for houses, australia wide, cap gains wise and yielding wise, what are the best places in your eyes to be looking at?

ill start with mine which are moreton bay LGA (d bay etc) ipswich, townsville, logan beenleigh, basically just got my eyes on QLD as i think its the next to see decent growth as a whole. and can suit my budget of around the 350-400k mark. then once I've bought up there moving my attention to perth, maybe a couple years away from another perth buy yet though.
    advice, thoughts? thanks PCers!

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2017
  2. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

If i were buying now i would buy a house in a middle ring Brisbane suburb. Something around 550k. Solid long term growth prospects and immigration out of Sydney and Melbourne to Brisbane has started to pick up. Other than that i would avoid Perth and Adelaide right now, altlhough Adelaide houses will probably tick over at 2-3% per annum, but jobs growth not good there. Canberra houses have a bit more growth in them but they have had a good run the past 2 years. Canberra units still have some oversupply so avoid. Sydney at top of the cycle, not the right time to buy there, as is Melbourne, however still some value in outer Melbourne suburbs down towards Frankston and perhaps west as well. Also i would look at Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo as with govt incentives these towns should see a surge of first home buyers after July1. Don't buy a unit in Brisbane.

3. vudu

vudu Well-Known Member

Nice. Narrowed down for me. Couldn't get finer than SE QLD. Any suburbs in particular? Why?

adam duckworth likes this.
  4. adam duckworth

Excellent reply! Just what I was after, its good to know what others are thinking :) all you said were my thoughts exactly too

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'll post some areas I'm looking at when I finish actively looking/purchasing. Currently on the prowl.

images.jpg

ellejay, MTR and adam duckworth like this.
  6. adam duckworth

Brilliant! Would love to see how they compare to mine

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi Adam,

What i find is usually an investor's risk profile, strategy and goals will significantly influence 'where ', 'what' and 'when' they invest. But I think if you can spot those who are posting about gems which also fits into your own 'investment profile' then the suggestions become much more useful and significant.

8. werdna

werdna Well-Known Member

Frankston and Werribee in VIC are my picks at the moment for the under 600k bracket.

9. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

D-Bay is on my list currently, as is Lakemba.
    Very different areas but similar storylines, areas that are ripe for gentrification.

In my mind, it looks like it's Houses and Waterfronts in Brisbane ripe for gentrification vs Apartments < 15km from Sydney CBD (no waterfronts) also ripe for gentrification.

I'm leaning towards D-Bay at the moment, but I think it will need to be a careful choice. Not a spray and pray

10. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I agree with Werdna if i was buying in Melbourne area up to 450k i would buy Werribee and surrounding suburbs or Frankston area. You will struggle to get a house less than 450k within 25kms of Brisbane CBD, you would have to go further towards ipswich, logan or up to deception bay area for this budget. I like Ipswich but be careful with flood zones and if i was to buy in Ipswich i would go there and check out the street as the quality can vary greatly between suburbs in Ipswich. I would go for something in a nice street and good access to the freeway back to Brisbane if you can find it. I also like townhouses within a 10 min walk to Werribee station as they are going for around 300k and anywhere within walking distance to a station in Melbourne will be highly sought after in the long term. Express train is 50 mins to city from Werribee and they will upgrade it at some stage in the future. I own a townhouse in Werribee about an 8 min walk to station and it has done quite well the past 2 years and always rented easily. Be careful of just buying a standard house/land in Werribee as there is a large supply. Buy something a little unique ie 2 living areas, a good spot or with a good sized yard, close to station or schools. Something a bit better than the stock standard. just my opinion.