Australia warned to put aside extra money to guard against housing crash

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Pete Arendt, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pete Arendt

Pete Arendt Well-Known Member

The Sydney Morning Herald is running a story today:
    Australia warned to put aside extra money to guard against housing crash

"Standard and Poor's has urged the Morrison government to start putting away money to guard against a housing crash in the event that the market does not continue its soft-landing."

What should individual investors be doing? I'm hearing with the oversupply of apartments flooding the market, that many investors are being caught out with empty rentals and/or falling rents.

What buffer should property investors be targeting to be able to continue to pay the mortgage when loans switch to P&I and they have no tenants?

What is a reasonable period to not have tenants and how will this blow out in the coming years as more apartments flood the rental markets?

2. mues

mues Well-Known Member

My plan has been paying down debt. I will keep going for 6-12 months. Then I will have almost none and will try to pick something up when I have more control than the seller.

With luck I can find a B+ house that the seller is under pressure and use leverage to get a good deal.

I need to be careful because I have a high income but my salary is pretty closely connected to economic performance. If housing market goes real bad my earning capacity will be hurt terribly. So I need to be able to escape using my partners very stable income.

Basically I’m using the same plan as I did in 08. But then I was younger so I didn’t have as much capacity to buy into the declining market. Then I was only able to get a cheap small place and like 30k of stock.

For those who are wondering. I have no issue trying to catch a falling knife.

NWHT and Shazi like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

• Have lowered LVR to 39%, although in real terms it is about 11% (assuming liquidity of other current assets) ~ aim to lower further in coming years (working on it now!).
    • Sold off all except one apartment. The houses/villa units are less likely to be affected by apartment glut
    • Strategic reallocation of equity to effectively "zero out" loans as they go PI while leaving the IO loans fully drawn to minimise impact on cashflow.
    • Get my degree finished by August 2020 and get a job :D

The Y-man

Skinman and Redwing like this.
  4. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Short answer: Anyone taking debt should always be prepared in case things don't go as planned...

Doesn't matter if it's car loan, credit card, investment property or home loan. Be prepared with some kind of back-up, such as -

• Multiple sources of income
    • Equity
    • Quick sell (Shares or Property with enough equity)
    • Extra hours to produce spare income
    • Help from parents
    Law/external factors will always keep changing. It's "Investors Job" to put right team in place to mitigate all kinds of risk..

From property perspective, key team players are -

• Buyers Agent
    • Mortgage Broker
    • Accountant
    • Quantity Surveyor
    • Property Manager
    • Book Keeper
    • Conveyancer/Solicitor
    Together they should be able to help individual make right decisions..

Cheers,

5. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

If a crash does come, it's just crashes back to pre-boom prices, probably from 30% to even 50%. The only option is to take losses and sell really. Investors doing IO would have all been chasing CG, a reversion to PI and vacancy are won't concern them as much as what prices are doing.

If it's OTP stock many are just gonna walk away and developers will cop it.

6. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Problem solved! :)

7. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I've looked at one of my properties as an example - it is well established with a good yield. When I swap to P&I - I will need to tip in 50k over ten years for principle repayments and that is temporary as then the I component reduces significantly.

If you own crap assets then you need a larger risk provision. The yield on most new apartment stock is miserable so it probably doesn't make that much difference not having tenants especially if interest rates rise.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What are you studying?

9. The Y-man

PhD (Business)

The Y-man

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Dr Y-man soon :cool:

11. The Y-man

I prefer Dr Y.

The Y-man

12. PaulB

PaulB Well-Known Member

You'll sound like a James Bond villain!

samiam, Stoffo and Sackie like this.
  13. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Well, if clearance rates for auctions are anything to go by, yesterday's super Saturday clearance rates are some of the lowest I have see

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Standards and Poor's credibility dived out of the 100th floor window along with some stock brokers during the GFC.

I think any property investor should have access to or hold a cash buffer of 6 months worth of repayments/living expenses. So if you need $5K per month to keep your head above water then you need $30K in the bank or a rich uncle to put the bite on if things get grim.

And I'd hold on to that buffer amount until the market gets better or when @sash starts talking positive about the Druitt!

AndyPandy and hobartchic like this.
  15. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

I prefer 2 years as selling assets can take time in a tough market especially with direction of interest rates. Also everyone should check their Income protection, I usually like it to have a 2 year wait period for cheaper premiums but I have at least 2 year buffer anyway

AndyPandy and datto like this.
  16. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Hi would you mind elaborating on what this means with a real example?

Thanks

17. The Y-man

Sure. As we "save up" we are using the money to pay down loans. Instead of distributing them say equally across the portfolio, we are concentrating on paying down one IP only - the one with lowest amount that has gone or is going to PI.

So if I have $5000 I can put away this month, and have 2 loans on P/I of $200k and $500k respectively, I would pay the minimum on the $500k loan, and put the rest into the $200k loan (or offset)

The Y-man

Skinman likes this.
  18. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Thanks for this it’s something i will consider. I’ve been struggling with what to do next as we have just got the fortunate position of having the PPOR loan fully offset.

I wasn’t sure if I should just start parking savings in an offset again an IP or start repaying extra or convert one loan to P&I and see how that goes. I’ve got several loans that may (who knows what bank policy will be in a few years) gradually convert to P&I over the next 7 years and I’m trying to be proactive so any advice is much appreciated.

19. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

We budgeted for P&I on IP, but signed up for IO. The difference in payment amounts is paying down our PPOR. When the IP goes P&I (lol) we'll simply redirect the additional payments on the IP. I guess its one of the few upsides of having only one IP.

We also keep 3 months cash in offset and worst case the GLW can go back to working full time rather than part time.