Australia unveils $928 million COVID-19 stimulus package for tourism industry

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Sackie, 11th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

"The support package will subsidise 50 per cent of 800,000 domestic flights to select tourism destinations across Australia. The discounts will be based on average air fares, subject to final discussions with airlines, and will commence from 1 April.

Destinations included in the scheme include the Gold Coast, Cairns, the Whitsundays, Alice Springs, Broome, Kangaroo Island and Merimbula."

Morrison government unveils post-JobKeeper stimulus package

Thoughts??

I plan to travel to Qld in April so hoping I can get the 50% off.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think it's great - but apparently only a spit in the bucket for the number of domestic flights that (in a normal year) would've taken place.

It's great to see the funds are aimed at locations that would not "generally" be visited by those in a major city, which is why areas such as the Hunter missed out (we have been heaving with Sydney tourists for 8-10 months now)

Was disappointed to see the government opposition, and a few operators, getting on board with a whinge about the accommodation and tour operators not getting anything - my thought is that, if the government can help get people to these locations then they gotta stay somewhere, gotta eat somewhere and gotta do something - so the flow on effect should benefit all